FT student mamas...what's your daily schedule like? Got any tips for me? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

I'm trying to imagine what a typical day will be like for me when I return to school FT this summer. The last time I was in FT school was in 2004, but that was theatre school, so it doesn't count orngbiggrin.gif Before that, I did my undergrad between 1977-2001, but then, I was in my 20s, had lots of energy and wasn't a single mama with sole custody.

So, for those of you who are in FT school, whether you go to traditional school or whether you are completing an online program:

• What is your daily schedule?
  • How many hours per day/per week do you devote to your studies?
  • How many courses/credits do you take per semester?
  • Do you do other things during your day to take breaks?
  • Do you also study in the evening after your DC have gone to sleep?

I will be doing a Masters' degree and to be eligible for loans/bursaries, I need to take 4 graduate courses (3 credits each), but I *could* avail myself of the special provision the government put in place for single mamas and only take 3. I'm wondering if *4* graduate courses at a time will be too much. I still have to take DD to daycare and go get her, and I'd like to fit in a workout at a local gym 3 times a week. Aside from that, I won't be working at all so I can focus entirely on school...but I'm a bit apprehensive!

Any input is appreciated!

#2 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is difficult for me to answer, as my schedule varies tremendously each quarter.  I will tell you that I have always had a significant amount of time to get everything done, including training for a marathon and quality time with ds.  Although, the week before finals and finals week are absolutely crazy!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE just being a full-time student... wish I could get paid for it (with benefits!)  orngbiggrin.gif

This quarter, my weekly schedule looks like this... it's even less typical, as I am currently in a clinical traineeship (3 quarter units):

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 9:30am - 3pm: elementary clinical hours & group supervision

Wednesday - 9:30am - 2:30pm: elementary clinical hours, individual supervision & clinical training

4:30 - 7pm: class (3 quarter units)

Thursday - 9:00am - 2:30pm: high school clinical hours

Friday - Off

I also have a weekend class (3 quarter units) that meets one weekend day (9-5) a month.   I am taking 9 quarter units this quarter. 

I spend Mondays & Fridays doing clinical paperwork and classwork... and procrastinating (aka goofing off).  winky.gif  My weekends are completely free, except for during finals week.  

Honestly, every graduate program is different.  I suggest you peruse your school's current schedule with a list of the required classes you will have to take and plan what a potential schedule might be for you.  Additionally, look through previous class schedules to get a feel for any scheduling patterns.   Oh, and talk to an advisor asap! 

Taking 12 semester units isn't too bad.  You'll be busy and need to be very self-motivated, but I think you will find that the flexibility and non-traditional hours/days will be a refreshing break from your crazy, rigid 9-5 law office position.  Plus, studying something you are interested/passionate about is a self-motivating and amazing in and of itself!   

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Halfasianmomma likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed overview Holland!

I think the major difference for me is the fact that I'll be doing a completely online program, except for the mandatory internship, which can be done almost completely online in some cases, save for some occasional face to face meetings with the internship supervisor. So, I know what the beginning and end of my day will be like..

7h30 wake up, breakfast

8h30 take DD to daycare

9h00 get back home

16h00 go get DD at daycare

16h30 get home

It's the middle part I wonder about...I hope there will be enough hours in my day to do all the research, reading and writing I need to do, and still leave me some time to workout and perhaps do a bit of cleaning/laundry/meal prep around the house.

#4 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm not in a grad program, but an midwifery undergrad in Canada(which is very intense). I am also partnered.
My week looks like this:
Mon class 12:30-3:30, 7-10pm
Tues class 8:30am-11:30, 1:30-2:30, 5:30-6:30
Wed no class. So I take my ds to a play program in the morning. Study in the afternoon.
Thurs class 9:30-11:30, 12:30-1:30
Fri no class

I like having days off, because I feel like I get so much more accomplished. I also try and workout 3 times a week on campus.
My dh has to do most of the drop off and pick up of my ds from day care. I'm not 100% happy with how things are set up, but I get no flexibility in my schedule.

Hope this helps
#5 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post

Thanks for the detailed overview Holland!

I think the major difference for me is the fact that I'll be doing a completely online program, except for the mandatory internship, which can be done almost completely online in some cases, save for some occasional face to face meetings with the internship supervisor. So, I know what the beginning and end of my day will be like..

7h30 wake up, breakfast

8h30 take DD to daycare

9h00 get back home

16h00 go get DD at daycare

16h30 get home

It's the middle part I wonder about...I hope there will be enough hours in my day to do all the research, reading and writing I need to do, and still leave me some time to workout and perhaps do a bit of cleaning/laundry/meal prep around the house.

I think the key will be making a schedule for every week, which includes a workout and some cleaning/laundry/meal prep.   

I bet you will have a lot more time than you think you will.  winky.gif 

Tags
Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page