Going back to school: When would you - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 9 month old DS. I work full-time. Partly because I have to for my family to make ends meet. But also because I need to work outside the home for my sanity.

I'm interested in some point at going back to school to get a master's in social work. 

If you had the ability to plan it out, what age would say you'd wait for your little one to be before making a big change like that? I would like to keep working full or part-time while I do it. If I went on Saturdays and evenings, I could finish in two years. It would be a lot of time away from my family, but it would be worth it, I feel, in the long run.

Thoughts? Feedback? Experiences?

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#2 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM

I would do it now. Or ASAP. I was in law school when my 3yo was born, and I stuck it out and finished when he was 2yo. Totally worth it, and now that he is getting a little older I have a good job that I enjoy and that is fullfilling, and I (mostly) feel like I can handle it.

I would not work full time while in school, but working part time and going to school part time (I couldn't work while I was in law school - it was WAY too much) might be manageable depending on the program you choose and how demanding the course material is.

#3 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

I work full time and take 5 classes and raise 6 kids solo. I don't think there is ever a good time. I just do it and deal with it day to day. My university actually offers a Masters in Social Work as an online option. I prefer going to class but it's pretty tough working around my kids schedules. Anything is possible though.

#4 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM

My DD is 3.5 yrs old now, and I've been doing PT school (online) and FT work for about a year and a half. I am a single mama though I have some help from my parents. Starting this summer, I'll be quitting my job and doing FT graduate work to get my Masters' degree, but the degree is offered entirely online, which means I'll be able to be more present for DD for the next 18 months or so. I figure now is a good time, before she enters elementary school, because then there may be more stuff to do in the evening, like homework and activities.

Is there a possibilty of doing some online graduate work in your field? That reduces travel expenses and keeps you home during "class" time...

#5 of 5 Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 AM

My advice is to make sure the program is accredited by the right agencies. I've helped a family member apply for her social work license in a couple states & they require an accredited school. Also, take your projected salary into account when accruing debt. The social workers I know make under 50k, so a ton of debt doesn't make sense. Good luck; I'd start soon - there's no perfect time to start, IMO, so start while you're motivated to do it!

Tags
Students , Working

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page