Mothering Forum banner

How do you get any exercise?

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  DCMama01 
#1 ·
I really need help. DS is 6 months old and I am in the worst shape of my life, except for my giant biceps from having a 20lb baby who loves being walked/rocked to sleep :)

Here's my situation: I work M-F 8-4 and DH cares for DS while I'm gone. When I come home, we switch off and he goes to campus to study (he's a MS student) and doesn't come home until DS and I are in bed. On the weekends, I mostly care for DS alone except for a few hours that we spend as a family. Neither one of us has any family or friends that are willing or able to watch DS for any amount of time. We don't have $$ for a gym membership with childcare in it, and I don't have any $$ right now for a jogging stroller.

I'm also pretty stubborn in that I really don't want to have to pump on the weekend or evenings just so I can leave to go work out, even if I did find someone to watch DS. OK, if I have to do this, I know I could.

Right now the only exercise I get it taking DS on walks around the block in the mei tie, but I don't really get my heart rate going like that. I don't have a TV to watch workout videos, but maybe there are some I can do online? Any recs? I realize that I keep making excuses about why I absolutely can't find time to work out, but I don't want to be that person anymore. Anyone have any gentle suggestions or advice for me?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would do a you tube seach. My DH is a trainer and is always finding new ideas on there. You could probably find a workout routine that you can do and then modify it to suit your needs - use the steps in your house if you have them, step up and down on something sturdy, pushups, situps, stretches, yoga...etc...I sure you could find cheap workout DVD's at the thrift store.

#3 ·
Given the constraints, it seems like finding clever ways to exercise at home is your best bet.

I haven't put much time into it but I imagine you can find good workout ideas online. Also, perhaps there is a book you could check out from the library to give you some ideas?

A few basic one things that I do at home myself: push up reps, gentle ab exercises (especially if you have diastasis recti), walking/jogging up and down your stairs, jumping rope (actually I don't use a rope, I just jump around :), squats on both or one leg, releves, holding a plank position for an increasing amount of time.

If you can find the $, I would highly recommend trying to get a jogger. You might be able to get a good deal on one used. Keep an eye on Craig's list.

Also, don't underestimate the value of walking, especially if you can do a really long one (plus, you're doing weight lifting at the same time with a kiddo on your back!). And keep an eye out for any long flights of stairs to climb.

FWIW, I barely exercised the first year or two post-partum. Now that they're older, DH and I have found a good routine for both of us and I really bounced back physically. So if you don't figure it out right away, keep your hopes up, you'll find time eventually!

#4 ·
The thing that has worked for me is commuting to work by bicycle. I invested in a decent bike and some good paniers so that I can carry a change of clothes & food to work. We also have a burley cart so that we can take DD places.

It has been so worth it. I am in the best shape of my life, and I absolutely love my bike. My daily commute is often the only "me time" that I get, so I really value that ride time. Investing in a bike may seem expensive, but if you're able to cut back on car driving, you might find that you're saving money in the long run. That is what we've discovered. We got rid of our only car last year, and even with occasional cab rides and car rentals, we are saving money. When you don't have to make car payments, buy gas, pay for parking, or pay for car insurance, it has a big impact on the household budget.

I realize this isn't an option for everyone. We are lucky to live in a community where bicycle commuting is very well supported, which makes such a big difference. We have access to some great resources, like good bus service (and I get a free bus pass through my job at the university), a car sharing program, etc.

Good luck! I know how miserable it is to feel so out of shape. I hope you can find something that helps you get your body back.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the tips, ladies! I think I'll check out some online videos and start doing some floor exercises at home. :)

When I lived in Seattle, I'd bike to work 6 miles each way for about half the year and I LOVED it! Unfortunately I live in a really bike-unfriendly place right now, but we are considering moving and the new place is a great biking town. If we do move there, I'll have to get back into that practice. I remember how I always hated the idea of getting on my bike each morning, but about 5 min into the ride I loved it! And I didn't need coffee. :)

#7 ·
That BBC article was super interesting ... though I bet I'm a "non-responder"!

If I had to pick one at home exercise only it would be pushups. Works your core, arms and legs. Requires very little room. No equipment or special clothing. Perfect! (Reminder to self to actually do this more often!)

You can start against a wall or couch if the full thing is too overwhelming at first.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/doing-the-perfect-push-up

#8 ·
I do planks like there is no tomorrow. My kids do homework on the floor in the playroom and I plank between them. Then I do crunches while they bathe. I roll out my mat on the bathroom floor and crunch away. We also do WII dance or just dance sometimes. If I have time I'll do squats through out the house while I'm doing housework... I'm sure I look crazy but If I have and opportunity I'm taking it! Right now I'm flexing my buttcheeks... one at a time... if you think it doesn't work... you should feel my butt
winky.gif

#10 ·
When my oldest was about 1, I got into shape by walking up and down my stairs for 30 minutes a day with him on my back in a mei tai. Really good exercise. If he didn't want to ride, he sat on the floor and played at the bottom of the stairs. Also, I got a rebounder trampoline and jumped on it while he watched sesame street a 2 or 3 times a week. You can get one of those for $20 or so, I think. Jump roping is good exercise, too, if you could fit that in while he naps or after he goes to bed.

As for exercise videos, I found Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on line. I bet there are lots of other workout videos you can find like that for free. 8 minute abs is a really good ab workout (if you can stand the 80s music and annoying guy talking, lol) that you can do on youtube.

#11 ·
Can you go exercise right after work before you get home? I sometimes go right to the gym and do a quick workout before heading home. My gym is cheap since I don't use childcare. Try to get in a 20 minute workout, and it will make you feel great but won't add a lot of time to your schedule. Or, take your baby for a brisk walk in the carrier or in a stroller immediately when you get home and before dinner is started.

#12 ·
Do you get a lunch break? I know it's lame, because you don't get to eat a real lunch, but that's what has worked for me. At least I get a good 45 minutes every day. Also, if you have a phone/other device with "apps," there's a really great one called "Daily Workout" that allows you to choose how long you want to work out (anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes) and what area you want to target (core, legs, cardio, etc.) It's a great way to get your heart rate up fast! I know my daughter really enjoys watching me jump around, and she'll sometimes join in. Just remember - anything counts! Even walking! Hang in there, mama!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post

is it at all possible for you to get up before everyone else and workout early? I've been the most successful ever with getting up before 6, and going to the gym (in the winter) or hitting the pavement (in the rest of hte seasons!) and getting home by 7 before everyone else in my house is awake.
This is me! DD has never gotten up before 6:00 am, so provided I go to bed early enough, I can get up at 4:30 am and go out and run. I usually have to wake up first but I'm out the door by 5:00 am and can run until 6:00. I'm not what you would call a morning person, but I really had to do this for myself and found that it really sets up my day in a positive way. Plus, where I live, everyone is stirring around that time and I've gotten used to seeing the same delivery people, etc. who are already at work that early.

#15 ·
seems like this might be tricky for you, but what i do is go on a walk/run right after DS falls asleep. Because summer is coming usually there is daylight left once he's asleep, and if its dark already then I do a yoga video or something like that. If you have netflix or something similar, there are some great work out videos on there.

good luck mama! i've found the best help to cook myself healthy meals at the beginning of the week so that I am not scrounging for something while trying to feed a hungry angry baby!

good luck mama

#18 ·
I also do planks and let DD count to 30 as intervals. She thinks its so much fun and always wants me to do more sets (while I die!).lol She imitates me doing squats and counts sometimes then too. I also sometimes go to work early just so that I can work out before picking her up and coming home.

What motivates me most if having an event coming up to get in shape for...a bday, seeing something/someone that I want to look hot for (could be an ex, a crush, HS reunion, beach vacation). So many people seemed happy when I got pregnant and gained 45 lbs claiming I'd never be small again or my flat tummy days were over...that was great motivation to prove em wrong.

Just try different things until something clicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.