Looking for job/post-doc while pg...WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-14-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I unfortunately don't get over to post very often but have come up with a conundrum and would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

I'm in the process of finishing my dissertation and have started looking around for a post-doc or research position. We've decided to stay here in MI (in a place which I really don't like....I hope I like it better after I finish my PhD) for at least a couple of years.

I recently discovered that I'm pg with DC2. I haven't told my boss/advisor that I'm pg and have only told a couple of close friends here in MI. How do you think that I should handle this in job interviews? I'm due in December. I'm hoping to start a position in September and then take at least a couple of months off when DC2 arrives.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you may have. TIA!

StillForest
#2 of 2 Old 04-15-2004, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's tricky! You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot when applying, but you also want to get a position where they're open to you taking a mat leave and caring for your new baby, and won't give you a hard time

I think I'd put it out there from the start, because of the latter consideration. There's no point getting a position that's a bad fit, and this will weed out the dogs.

I know family status isn't supposed to be relevant in job apps, but I think I'd bring it up not only in terms of your needs around the mat leave, but also to show what a gosh-darn good multi-tasker you are and how motivated you are to continue with your career. That's what I did in applying for post law school positions when I had a baby in second year law, and it seemed to work well...

Good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page