Professional (or not!) part-time positions?? What is your job? - Mothering Forums
Working and Student Parents > Professional (or not!) part-time positions?? What is your job?
porcelina's Avatar porcelina 07:54 AM 03-01-2012

I have heard so many people say that it would be nice if they could do part-time work to balance work and family. Of course, in a lot of fields, this is not really possible unless you have already established yourself with your company. In other fields, maybe it is the norm. But, for those of you who have part-time hours that work well for  you, what do you do?

Some jobs that come to mind are free-lancing, dentistry, nursing, paralegals (?), medical transcriptionist...

I am at a point where I really don't want to work full-time, but also have to bring in some money. I guess there is always the option of babysitting for other people's kids. The irony is that I am highly educated and the expectations are for me to work FT, but I just can't stomach it!

K1329's Avatar K1329 11:51 AM 03-01-2012
I work at the professional level part time with benefits at a local university. I think universities & state/federal departments offer more part time options.
Peony's Avatar Peony 01:18 PM 03-02-2012

Very part time IBCLC/RN here. I get the added bonus of working mostly from home right now which is unheard of in this speciality. thumb.gif I do a clinic/home visit here and there and several meetings a month, but try to limit myself to just phone support currently so I am with my 7th month old all the time. I had the option this fall to go up to 27 hours a week, 20 being mandatory in-office hours and I couldn't do it. In another few years that would of been the perfect arrangement but that time is not right now. 

MariesMama's Avatar MariesMama 01:31 PM 03-02-2012

I work part-time in our local township office.  I know that most of the secretary positions in our local government offices and the university are part time now.

Evan&Anna's_Mom's Avatar Evan&Anna's_Mom 01:39 PM 03-02-2012

For the last few years I've worked at part-time jobs in the non-profit world.  Most non-profits can't afford full-time employees to do a lot of the work, so they hire lots of part-timers.  I've been in marketing/communications/development for several years now and it has worked really well.

of course, the downside is that you are easy to lay off when the funding dries up.  Which is why I'm currently unemployed and looking to return to the full-time, for-profit world now that the kids are a bit older.

pianojazzgirl's Avatar pianojazzgirl 02:01 PM 03-02-2012

I teach piano two afternoons a week.  And I also perform (music) a few times a month (it varies: some months are lean, some months are really busy).  I have most of my day times free, though I spend time planning lessons, practicing and doing rehearsals when necessary.

34me's Avatar 34me 02:14 PM 03-02-2012

I am a Recreation Coordinator for a small city (62,000).  I work 20 hours per week and get pro rated benefits.  In my area of the country Parks and  Rec departments offer most of the activities for kiddos through adults in the community.  General instruction classes like cooking, foreign language, arts etc, Fitness classes and Recreational sports (we offer all sports until about age 12 then the clubs take over the competitive side).  I run all the adaptive programs and all the "land" based fitness classes for seniors (30+ classes a week).   

Tags: Working
Up