Looking for some perspective - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi there,

I've been a SAHM for the majority of the past seven years. I finished my MA after DD2 came along (which was a bit of a juggling act, but got it done) and I've recently taken on a very small contract project that fits around DS's Kindy (preschool) schedule. The contract job is not in my field, but gives me some experience for my resume (first paid position since 2004) and is the first work for me since we emigrated. It will wrap up by the third week of March.

I noticed a job posting yesterday that seems promising. It's a six month contract researcher position. It's in my field, with an organization that I admire, and even though it's temporary, it could be the step up I need to get back into more regular employment. It's full time and working out of the company's office.

The downside is the salary. It's targeted for recent grads, so not a great package. After I pay for daycare for the days when DS is not at Kindy, and before and after school care for DD2 and DS when required, as well as the petrol costs to commute 45 minutes away, I'd be left with a third of my take home pay. 

Is it worth it? Is there something else I need to consider or that I'm missing? Oh and DS is in Kindy 2.5 days a week right now, but will be in school full time (5 days a week) next February. I was hoping to get some work experience before that point so I could start job hunting in earnest with recent relevant experience behind me, but it almost seems like going for this full time one right now might be a bit much.

DH is supportive of whatever I want to do. He actually thinks that after being at home for so long, it sounds like a good opportunity, doesn't see the small monetary returns as an issue, and with it being only six months, if it doesn't work out, it's not like I'm tied to it forever.

Thoughts?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#2 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know, OP. The job sounds just about perfect for getting back into your field. After so long out of it, you're in new grad territory again. You aren't going to step right into making top dollar, so like you said, it's a stepping-stone to a better position in the not-so-distant future. I say go for it! Wonderful that you have a supportive dh.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#3 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! smile.gif It does seem do-able the more I think about it. And I'm excited thinking about where it might lead. It's such a huge change though for all of us.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 AM

I hear you! I am about to start working in my field for the first time since I graduated almost 2 years ago. Thrilling and scary! Like you, it's not big money because they will be doing so much on the job training, but it's got a lot of potential to develop my skills. Isn't it cool to think of using that degree you busted your @ss getting? :D

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'd say why not go for it?  I agree with your DH -- it's only six months so if it doesn't work, then at least it's temporary. Unfortunately, sometimes the best jobs don't pay what we'd like them to.

My DH is in a similar situation. He's the primary caregiver but wants to keep his professional life going, so he teaches adjunct at a local college 2 days each week. We figure that if we can budget to live within my salary, as long as his salary covers the childcare for those days, then it's worth it. If you're not bringing in outside income, then it doesn't seem like you have much to lose -- Even taking home 1/3 of the salary will be extra income.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#6 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you factored in the costs and aspects of when your kids are sick, how about during school breaks/holidays. If you are 45 minutes away from their school, do you have someone who can be there for emergencies? Is the 1/3 of the income figure after taxes? 

#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

I hear you! I am about to start working in my field for the first time since I graduated almost 2 years ago. Thrilling and scary! Like you, it's not big money because they will be doing so much on the job training, but it's got a lot of potential to develop my skills. Isn't it cool to think of using that degree you busted your @ss getting? :D

Yes, that's why I was so excited about it initially. It's in my field and seemed a perfect way to get back into working.

The 1/3 of the salary is after taxes.

As for the holidays and sick kids factor, that is an issue as well. I do have a good friend, who lives five minutes from us and the kids' school, and she can pick them up in case of emergency. She is already on the school's list of contacts.

The holidays will be a problem. There are more term breaks than holiday time DH has accrued, so we'd have to have holiday care in place and I've had neighbours tell me how expensive that can be. Sick kids...again, that would mean I stay home from work. As a contract worker, I would simply have to take the day off (and we don't get sick days or carers' leave, whatever). 

I spoke with another friend about it and she mentioned contacting the organization to ask about part-time positions or the possibility of job sharing. I don't know how realistic that is when the posting is pretty clear that they're looking for someone full time for the next six months.  It is a good opportunity and I'd hate to pass it up (especially when ones like this don't come along often), but there seems to be a lot of potential problems as well.

#8 of 9 Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I still think it sounds like you should go for it. 

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Yup. Go for it. It's 6 months, see how you like it!

Tags
Working

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page