Job hunting question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I need some advice:

I'm job hunting for a student practicum position for the summer (in public health inspection).  I am limited to two health units, at least for this summer, because my son has his daycare here.  Next summer I graduate and will move if necessary for a full time position.  Anyway, so I called my top choice way back at the end of January and spoke to the hiring manager there who said I could send in my resume anytime but the job ad wouldn't be up for another month.  I dropped off my resume the following week.  Early March there still wasn't any job ad.  So I called again and asked if she had my resume and just let her know I was still interested.  She confirmed that she had my resume and said the job ad would be up within the month.  The job ad has now been posted!  Should I call again, just to say that I'm still interested?  Or just let it be.. I think it was almost 3 weeks ago when I last called.  But she did say she had my resume and I didn't need to resubmit a resume when the ad came up.  This is my absolute top choice of places to work and I really don't want to screw anything up!

My second choice health unit I have called twice and left messages with the hiring manager and never get a response.  I've also dropped off a resume but there is still no job ad posted (although when I dropped my resume off the receptionist said they usually have positions in the summer).  But as it is I think I may only have the one place as an option!  Makes me a bit nervous :/

I have two assignments for classes to finish and then I want to do some interview prep just in case I get a call.. I'm so nervous about this process!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#2 of 2 Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Absolutely call again, and ask if they need you to submit a cover letter. If they do want a cover letter, get someone from a career office to help you write it, and tailor it exactly to their job ad. Spend a few days on it.

Good luck!!!

Tags
Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page