New Mom-to-be (very soon..!) and considering school part-time - good idea or no? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm due next Monday (April 23) & I have been thinking about going back to school on a part-time basis.  I only want to take 1 or 2 classes this fall & it will be classes that meet once or twice a week.  (More than likely they'll be just regular ol' English 111 & some kind of Math since I'm fresh into it)

I realize that the new baby will be a big responsibility and I may be underestimating what's to come, but I have a plan...

My boyfriend and I live together & he works full-time 8-5. I plan on taking evening classes so he can be home with the baby while I'm off trying to get an education to better myself and make a good life for my new child. It would only be once or twice a week and no more than that.  

In fact, the actual program I am considering is offered entirely online with the exception of "clinicals," but for now, I am just getting my General Education classes out of the way. Most of the Gen Ed classes seem to require me to be physically in a classroom but I might be able to find online options.

Anyway, has anyone done anything similar or have advice/suggestions? I really want this because I want to have a stable career by the time my child grows up to be old enough to understand things.  I figured I should start as soon as possible since I have delayed this entire process for far too long.

Thanks

#2 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM

I haven't done this myself, but I did go back to work at 2 months post-partum, and I'm also a college adviser so I work with a lot of mom students so I have 2 perspectives.

I know it's generalizing, but most student moms I work with are so dedicated and have a much clearer goal than the average college student. They also seem to realize the importance of doing assignments early and managing their time really well. But you would need support from your partner. It's really hard to work all day and then come home and be by yourself with the baby (I know, that's what I do), and some dads aren't as committed to spending that much 1 on 1 time with baby. But if your partner is really on board and willing to jump in and commit to that, then it could be really great.

Your DC will be about 4 months old when you go to school, so most likely you'll have the hang of breastfeeding and pumping by then. I went back at 2 months and while it was hard to leave DS, I made it work. There are a ton of resources for pumping moms here on MDC and Kellymom, so reach out when you have questions. You can do it if you are really committed to it!

Good luck with your decision and I wish you an amazing birth! Sending you easy labor vibes  goodvibes.gif

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM

I will second cat13 on her advice, but I will add that your commitment to your future and that of your child is key. Quite frankly, while it would be harder if you didn't have support, it would not be impossible, so do it anyway. There are a few of us single mom full-time students here, so yeah... if we can do full-time school (I've been doing it since he was ten days old), it's totally possible to do it part-time with a partner (at varying levels of commitment to help). Yes, it is hard, but if you know what you want, go for it! Don't let anything stand in your way... remember to go easy on yourself because no one else will do that for you, and be flexible, but persistent with your plans. Good luck, mama! On the schooling and the new baby!! Is he/she here by now?? Yay!!!

Moo.

#4 of 4 Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 AM

so i'm new here, so i hope you don't mind my input.  (i just had my second baby on April 4). I hope youre doing well as you likely have you DC by now!  

anyway, here goes...

I have doctorate and finished before we had our dd (now 3).  My husband, however, did not yet have his bachelors degree.  so for 2 1/2 years, I went to work, then came home and took care of dd and household duties while he went to class and studied.  granted, he had class 4 nights a week from 6-10 and worked full time, so we were stretched pretty thin time wise.  that said, it was 100 percent worth it.  as the supporting role on this one, i would just try to communicate the best you can with dp to let him know what he's in for, but also what the rewards are.  my husband is currently in the running for a job that makes significantly more money than he makes now, and it's all because he got his degree.  also, if you do go to school, you guys will sort of be on split shifts, so make sure you plan some time for just you guys so you don't lose your relationship in the mix.  It's hard to juggle everything, but i promise it's so worth it!

good luck and i hope you find what's right for you!

(and sorry for butting in!)

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

Tags
Students , Working

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page