Should I move back to CA to save tuition or stay hear and wait another year for school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was accepted into a BSN program for this fall but have to pay out of state tuition. I thought I was going to be geting the WUE scholarship but since I was admited to the nursing program I am no longer getting it! So between tuition and two kids in daycare I will not be able to afford nursing school in the fall. I'm considering staying here and working as a CNA for another year and hoping my application for the BSN program is accepted again next fall once I am a resident. This program is 2.5 years and considered one of the best here in my new state.
My other option is that there is one community college in my home state that is still taking applications for their LPN program in the fall. I can not find any ADN programs or BSN programs still taking applicaitons. It is first come first serve so I'm not even sure if I will get my application in in time, they only have four spots open. If I do get it all of the tuition and supplies will be paid for by grants so I will not have to worry about scholarships or loans. The program is 12 months and there is a LPN-RN bridge at the school that does not have a work requirement if you do their LPN program and are not a transfer. The bridge is another academic year of 9 months. So this would take 21 months to become a ADN-RN.
So which would you do?
Thansk

be good family...

#2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM

If it were me I would either stay in state and go the LPN bridge route or I would move, wait the year and then hope you qualify again next year. Paying out of state tuition is crazy expensive!! I understand that the one out of state is the best around, but essentially do you think you will be that much better off to justify out of state tuition?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

If it were me I would either stay in state and go the LPN bridge route or I would move, wait the year and then hope you qualify again next year. Paying out of state tuition is crazy expensive!! I understand that the one out of state is the best around, but essentially do you think you will be that much better off to justify out of state tuition?

The issue is I am all ready out of state. I moved here as soon as I found out I got the WUE scholarship while I was an 'undeclaired' major. As soon as my major changed to BSN when I was officially accepted I lost the scholarship!

My lease is paid until the end of July but after that I really can not rationalize staying here and paying soo much for daycare just to wait and hope I get in again next year. I guess I need to dream a little smaller for now and just go with the best route to reach my end goal even if it is a year or two further off!

be good family...

#4 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have moved out of state A then state A no longer considers you a resident. I am confused why you think you would be treated as a resident there based on living there in the past. You are not necessarily considered a resident of state A simply because state B doesn't consider you to be a resident either. States only have to acknowledge a resident like this if they are military and then by special appeal.

#5 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just moved here. I still use my original address for a lot of mail. My drivers license is out of my original state, I graduated high school there (which can be used to determine residency), I have not registered to vote here etc. I'm not even in a real leased rental, just a sublet (which does not count towards establishing residency). I paid my taxes in my home state not here. I'm basically on a vacation here since I'm going back home soon anyways.

be good family...

#6 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If there are no custody issues and you can support yourself if you move then I think you should move back. I don't think they count leaving the state for school or for less than a year a permanent move but each state has different residency requirements so you should check.
#7 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

If there are no custody issues and you can support yourself if you move then I think you should move back. I don't think they count leaving the state for school or for less than a year a permanent move but each state has different residency requirements so you should check.

My ex is in prison in a third and different state... I asked one of the financial aid offices in CA and they said if I have not done anything to establish residency like signing a real lease, getting an ID or voting I'm still a resident there. My family back in CA keeps saying I'm on vacation here, lol.

be good family...

#8 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Are you still on the CA waitlist for the child care subsidy?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#9 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I never took them off of the waitlist even though we stopped getting cash assistance. I figured at the worst if they got a spot at the top of the waitlist I might go back!

One of the colleges in CA actually has its own subsidized daycare! They have a very small waitlist and it is based on income/need instead of first come first serve so both of my kids stand a pretty good chance of getting in.

be good family...

#10 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

CA will still consider you a resident since your stay was short :) I say, if you know you are in the program here in CA, move back! Just be careful, because you know how it is here right now; not enough openings at the state funded colleges, so hard to get classes. Good luck!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#11 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post

CA will still consider you a resident since your stay was short :) I say, if you know you are in the program here in CA, move back! Just be careful, because you know how it is here right now; not enough openings at the state funded colleges, so hard to get classes. Good luck!

I have found two very rural college that was still taking applications for their LVN program because they did not yet have enough applications turned in! One ended up getting two more applications while mine was in the mail so I'm third on the wait list and the other has to have the counseling office approve my transcripts so they gave me a week to complete the application but if the counseling office is not done by this wednesday I can't apply.

So I don't know for sure if I'm in either one but if not I can apply for January instead of having to wait till next September.

be good family...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page