Anyone had good luck with nanny shares? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about taking out a kijiji ad looking for another family to start a nanny share with, then hiring a nanny.  Is this a crazy idea?  Any advice?

I just don't think I am going to find a childcare solution that I like for September unless I MAKE one.  I found out my day home provider can't make the school pickup time for DD who is going into grade one.  I also have a 2yo, who can stay at the current day home.  My DH takes transit and there is no way he can get both kids on either end of the day, so I am going to be stuck with probably one dropoff and two pickups every day, plus my DD will probably have to switch schools...which is not what I wanted.  I love her school, but the good B/A programs are waitlisted and don't cover summers, and I was able to find and reserve a space at our neighborhood school.

My take-home pay is about what a live-out nanny would make or the cost of child care for 3 kids.  So I figure if I can find someone who maybe has one toddler or a toddler and a kid at DD's school, they would cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the nanny's salary.  I would pay no more than I would pay anyway but it would be so much easier.  In theory, lol.  WWYD?

#2 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Does your school provide after-school care after the regular school day?

I have several friends who share the same babysitter but it isn't really a nanny share which I think implies a full time commitment. They are all at the same preschool and are SAHM or have reduced work hours. Usually there is an ongoing commitment for one full day a week.

Are you really looking for someone to do part time daily babysitting (pick up DD from school, pick up DD from daycare, stay with them until one of the parents get back) or are you really trying to reduce the amount of money you spend on a full time nanny (cares for DD instead of daycare, picks up DD from school, and also cares for another child as part of the workload). The later is far, far trickier.

#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We did a nanny share successfully for just over two years with two children. I wouldn't have done it any other way, but our children were at different stages than yours are (& the share was one only & two siblings). I also have had a few friends who had or have successful shares as well.

There is some extra work involved. Coordinating (everything from payment to vacation) can be complicated. Maintaining open lines of communication is important. In our share it took some work to evenly spread the responsibility (I took on the role of point person & had to really work with the other family to be sure I wasn't taking on too much).

But the benefits (financial & emotional) were great. Our place took a beating since we hosted the share, but we didn't have to deal with drop off. Our son had a playmate every day. Together with the other family we found two awesome nannies who fit both of our prerequisites. My son got plenty of attention but also learned to share a care givers attention.

We also had to be flexible. In our search we quickly learned that it was near impossible to find a family that was a good fit & simultaneously had an identical schedule. We ended up hiring our nanny for a few more hours per week than they did. But sometimes they needed more time & that was always welcome.

If you can find a family & nanny that fit well wih you family (& it will take some time) the I think a nanny share can be a wonderful set up.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Does your school provide after-school care after the regular school day?

Are you really looking for someone to do part time daily babysitting (pick up DD from school, pick up DD from daycare, stay with them until one of the parents get back) or are you really trying to reduce the amount of money you spend on a full time nanny (cares for DD instead of daycare, picks up DD from school, and also cares for another child as part of the workload). The later is far, far trickier.

I was meaning the second one.   But I have a son too so it makes a little more sense financially.

The school does have a b/a program but it's wait listed.   Had I known earlier that my DCP wouldn't be taking DD in the fall I would have been on the list sooner!

#5 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM

I have been part of a nanny share for just over 2 years now--my son was 5 months old when we started the share. We have had three other families that we shared with (one at a time, though!).

In my experience, people with newborns make up the vast majority of those trying to find a spot in a share, and there is a really decent market for shares where I live. You have one child who needs full-time care plus another who needs pick-up and afterschool care, right? If you shared with another family who needed full-time care, I'd expect to do maybe a 60-40 split?

We have a three-way contract between Family A, Family B and our nanny. It specifies her hourly rate & overtime, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave. If she is sick, both families are responsible for their own kid. If one of the kids is sick and stays home, she gets paid for that time, ditto if one family is on vacation. We try to schedule vacation times at the same time, and she has also take some vacation at the time of her own choosing. We also have a 4 weeks' notice clause, where if any party wants to leave the arrangement, they must give 4 weeks' notice, or in the case of one of the families wanting to leave, they must pay out for 4 weeks pay if they don't give notice.

You would also have to negotiate how the pickup worked--would the nanny drive? How many car seats would she need and would they all fit in the car? 

#6 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 AM

One thing to factor in is that you aren't splitting the cost of a FT nanny-- it usually costs more than that. So here $15 hr is normal for a nanny of one kid, $18 may be normal for 2 siblings, but $20 for a nanny share of 2 kids. So a 45 hour week is $675 for just your kid if you're doing it alone, or $450 with a nanny share, not half of $675. Things can add up too when it comes to vacations and sick kids, depending on your contract you may be paying for the nanny alone sometimes.
#7 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually had a surprise ending here.  One of the B/A programs had a space open up.  I was #32 on the wait list but apparently lots of people declined the space...I am thinking some of them heard it was hard to get into and made other arrangements or got into the program inside the school itself (the one I am at is a community centre across the field.)  It seems like a very reasonable professionally run daycare.  There are a few things I don't love but they are minor issues...the breakfast/snack menu is a bit junky but we don't have to switch schools!!! This is such a big deal to me...I put DD in the program because I love what they do in the upper grades and it's very difficult to get into if you don't start in kindergarten.  

So, I will still have to deal with DD's dropoff and both pickups every day but at least daycare will cost less than it does now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page