Required work travel and a 3 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a full time work from home momma but I have an upcoming engagement for work that I have to travel for.  My newest DS will only be 3 months old and is still exclusively breastfed.  I have the option of taking him and my nanny with me on the business trip and having a previous nanny watch my 3 year old DS while I'm away, however the costs that go with that get pretty high.  

I have several questions for other working mamma's out there:

1.  When did you first leave your children and how did the daddies/partner handle it?  My newborn is a GREAT sleeper (thank god) and only wakes once around 3am to eat every night, but my husband has never even tried to give him a bottle and he is a little concerned about how he will handle both boys while I'm away. 

2.  How would you handle bringing the nanny with you?  Would you pay for a separate room for the nanny or have them share a room with you? 

The trip is only two nights/days and I have plenty of milk stored up, but I'm having mild panic attacks about the thought of leaving my newborn so early.  He is such a good, mild baby who loves his daddy and big brother almost more then he loves momma so I'm sure he will be fine.  However DH is pretty nervous and I just don't know which route to take.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

When I bring my nanny, I pay for another room BUT i usually bring more then 1 kid these days so if there was just a baby, I might be more inclined to just do one room. I tend to bring my kids with me until they are 2.5-3 but that is just my comfort level. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was in a similar position with my first and I just thought it was too risky to my milk supply. DH was a SAHD so I just took him along.

If you can afford it, I'd probably just take the nanny and baby with you. Assuming you have a good relationship with her I'd just share the room. Make sure she gets some time off in the evenings.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a job interview when DS was 4 months that would have been that much travel. I was contemplating bringing baby and stepmom along. I ultimately decided not to do it because (1) conditions for pumping would have been less than optimal, (2) it would have been too much time away from newborn (even with him "there" with me), given expected attendance at breakfast and dinner and only one pump break in the day, and (3) I finally decided I didn't want the job in the first place. I did not even contemplate for more than a few minutes leaving baby behind (with older DS and DH). If you can at all afford it, take baby with you. It would probably be just as traumatic for you as it would be for the baby to be apart at that age. If it were totally necessary, then fine, you would both recover, and everything would turn out okay, but if it's possible, avoid the trauma.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

User Tag List