feel im being under paid.... - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: what should i be paid?
7.70/hr (wich is minimum wage) 3 14.29%
10/hr (going rate for a nanny with no experience) 7 33.33%
15-20/hr (going rate for a nanny with 2+ years of experience) 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in ohio and I am a Nanny. I have been with the same kid for 8 years almost 9... I have 20 years of childcare under my belt. They are only paying me $2.28/hr for 40 hrs a week. This was fine when I lived at home and only had one bill to pay, but now I am living with my so to be husband and we have to pay for house, electric, cable, water, gas, cell phones, car payment, insurance and groceries. What do you all think I should be getting paid and hr?
#2 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM

I think, at the very minimum, you should be making minimum wage. These people are taking advantage of you, in a big way. I'd get another job, because there is no way they are going to make the leap from $2 an hour to what you should be making.

#3 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well this is how the issue came up I have a job interview at Walmart and toldthem about it. After tell them this they told me that I was very inconsiderate and that being family they should come first. They continued to blame my husband to be and stated that he should get a better job to support me. They both work at high paying jobs and are always blowing money left and right. I guess this is where the saying never work for family comes into play.
#4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM

I think you are getting taken advantage of.  When I was 17 and nannying part time with three years of experience, I was making $9/hr (and they usually paid a little extra tip, too).  I did live in a very high cost of living area in a high cost of living state (California) but your rate of compensation is no where NEAR appropriate.

Your family is looking to keep you on at this rate because they think you will stay!  If you were not family, they would never be able to pay you this.  They are looking to blame it on your fiance because they can.  Not all family arrangements have to be like this - one of my cousins has been nannying for another cousin for 2 years, and she pays her $14/hr.  Family DOES come first, but they are not treating YOU like family.  

#5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM

What your fiance makes or doesn't make has no bearing on how much you make. There is no other job where they can even ask about your marital status. Don't even talk to them about it. Just say "(Fiance) has nothing to do with my job." over amd over till they get it. You are clearly not being treated fairly. Are you willing to go somewhere else or are you just trying to get a raise (not that you shouldn't be)? If you are ready to walk I would just matter-of-factly tell them yoour life is changing and you need to do what is best for you.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So it sounds like these are family members right? It sounds like you've been working with them for a long time and perhaps before you turn 18? Yes, you should be paid at least minimum wage. They don't appreciate you. I wouldn't even bother having a discussion about your salary.

What your husband does or makes or in all honesty, your living situation shouldn't matter. You should be paid for your work.

Find a new job and give them two weeks notice.

#7 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM

I pay my nannies $15.00 an hour. Back when I would hire a college freshman for a sitting job here and there, I'd pay ten, but a professional nanny here that does it for a living always makes 15-20. I would give two weeks and find another job.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I gave them a notice three months ago that I am looking for a new job. This being how long it took me to get an interview. After reading replys and talking to a few other people about this I hae decided this is my life and I need to do what is best for me and my family to be. Thanks everyone I feel much better about what I have decided to do. Looking forward to starting a new career.
#9 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Good for you and good luck finding something else--it's tough out there. I wouldn't engage them in any more talk about it-you have made your decision and it's not fair for them to try and manipulate you. Repeat this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloey11 View Post
this is my life and I need to do what is best for me and my family to be. 

over and over until they get tired of hearing it and respect your decision.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#10 of 14 Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM

i was making $2/hr 15 years ago!  yeah id say u r being underpaid

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 14 Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'd say you should be making at least $10 at the low end and only that little if the benefits and pto package are stellar.
#12 of 14 Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM

I would say the way they are treating you is beyond taking advantage.  You have been more than generous in giving them notice..  It is none of their business why you want a raise.  Perhaps you just want more money.  Not their business.  They should be paying no less than minimum wage and really even in my low cost of living area nannies usually get around $15 an hour plus bonuses.  Of course that money is taxed but you also have access then to unemployment, workmans comp, and social security.  They sound manipulative and are definitely taking advantage of you.  Go get a real job or use your nanny skills to get a nanny job that pays well.  Settle for nothing less than $10 an hour.  heck you can make that sacking groceries.  You deserve to get paid a real wage.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 AM

It's so sad to see u being used by your ow family. You aren't even making 20% of a reasonable wage. Do they only want you to pay attention to their kids 20% of the time??? I have used family for child care before, but i always pay more than the standard rate to make them feel appreciated. If they can't even pay u a basic living wage it's time to move on. Good luck with the job hunt!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#14 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Wait, you're making $91 a week? That's ridiculous!! Truly.

A good nanny should make $1500 a month or more. Tell them you can no longer afford to word for less than minimum wage. They're taking major advantage of you. If they pull the family thing, you can say "yes, you should put family first. I can't believe you're OK with paying me less than $400 a month. How can anyone live on that?"

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page