How often do you pump while you are at work? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How often do you pump while you are at work?
More than once an hour 0 0%
About once every hour 0 0%
About once every two hours 1 11.11%
About once every three hours 7 77.78%
About once every four hours 0 0%
About once every five hours 0 0%
Less often than every five hours 1 11.11%
It varies (tell me more!) 0 0%
Something else (tell me more!) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious about how frequently other people pump while they are at work.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 06:32 AM

I usually pump twice - once before lunch and right before coming home. Some days I only get 1 pump in at lunch time, then I try to pump at home for a few minutes before I feed little man. But I am the laziest pumper ever and despise it so I may not be the best person to ask lol!
#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that information, RaiderCake. How old is your little one?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 AM

My son is 6 months right now, and has not yet started solids. Usually I pump about every three hours. I work 2 long shifts (7am-5:30 pm and on those days I pump while driving to work even if he has nursed recently(I started doing this with my first son and it gave me an extra 4 ounces a day). Then I pump around 10am, lunch time, 3pm-ish, and sometimes on my drive home as well. I also work 2 shorter shifts (7am-1pm, and those days I pump on my way to work, and at least once while at work but I try to make it twice (around 10am then right before I leave or while I'm driving home).

I also have a 2 year old that I pumped for for about 14 months following the same schedule. As he got older and was eating more solids (around 10 months maybe) I stopped pumping on my lunch break so that I'd have a little "free time" during the day. HTH!

#5 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Steph. That is very useful to hear.

#6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 PM

My ds3 is weaned now, but when I was pumping I pumped every 3 hours, starting 3 hours from when he last ate.  Sometimes I could get away with feeding him right before I left, pump once, and hurry home to catch him at the end of the day.  Once he started eating solids regularly and I noticed us storing more milk than we were using, I pushed it back to 4 hours.  Then I only pumped once, once he was approaching 1.  Finally, at 11.5 months, I quit pumping at work.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#7 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Liberal Chick. It sounds like you were able to find a schedule that worked well for you.

#8 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM

When I was pumping, I started off 3x a day (~9:30, ~11:30, ~2:30), as I grew more confident that I could make it work, I modified that to usually only 2x a day (~10:00 and ~2:00) so that I got my full lunch break back. I would have occasionally low supply times where I would just have a day of pumping as much as I could manage. Since my office is private with a locking door, I could work at near full capacity while pumping, so it wasn't too hard for me to do that. And there were the occasional days where I was just swamped or traveling and would only pump once, but they were very rare as I couldn't catch up to what I needed to provide for daycare easily and my supply was very sensitive if I gave it a hint that I needed less, my body liked to be super efficient!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page