Need advice on re-entering the workforce - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need any and all ideas on finding a job. I will soon be filing for divorce (he does not know yet) and need a job. I have been home with our kids for about four years, largely due to our 5 1/2 year old needing one of us home due to his ASD. Before that, I did long term contract work (ranging from 9 month to almost two years).

The problems I am encountering are 1) being out of the workforce, 2) having done contract work and not a "real job" (though working 40+ hours at the contracts doesn't seem to qualify as "real work" to employers) and 3) their concern that my skills are not up to date. Even the local children's hospital won't consider me b/c I've been home with my child (note the irony there). I do accounting/finance work. I've taken a few classes towards my graduate degree so even though I have not worked, I feel my skills are up to date.

I have contacted two local temp agencies and neither will call me back. Even the one I worked with for five years won't call me back. We parted ways on good terms. My one year contract ended and I decided to stay home. I've tried to follow up with both numerous times.

I constantly get rejections from online applications. I really don't know many people around here to network with. I have an updated resume that I have had a number of people look at for proofreading and advice. I am just at a loss on how to even get a foot in the door. I'm certainly willing to start at a slightly lower level than I left at to prove myself but I cannot even get to that stage. Anyone have advice? My classes have been online so I haven't had much in-person interaction with other students/professors.
#2 of 5 Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Four years doesn't seem like that long of a time for finance/accounting, though this is not my field so I could be ignorant here.  If you are running into dead ends in your field, would it make any sense to open your lens a little bit and look in fields that are hiring? I have always loved the book "What Color is Your Parachute" as a guide for helping me find my way professionally. sometimes a change is a good thing......?

#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM

my advice: temp at any kind of office work (reception, whatever) to get your foot in the door and get past the gatekeepers.  Then you can use that opportunity to show your accounting skills and make that move.

#4 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM

U could check out local BNI (business networking international) meetings in your area. Go as a guest, introduce yourself to a room full of professionals, tell them what you are looking for, and see where that gets you. There are usually multiple chapters in any given area, so there's a good chance someone there may have a lead for you. It's the most direct networking opportunity available. Call your local chamber of commerc and ask them if they know of anyone looking for a qualified accountant. just a few thoughts. Good luck mama. Sorry to hear of what ur going thru though, that must be so difficult.

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM

U could check out local BNI (business networking international) meetings in your area. Go as a guest, introduce yourself to a room full of professionals, tell them what you are looking for, and see where that gets you. There are usually multiple chapters in any given area, so there's a good chance someone there may have a lead for you. It's the most direct networking opportunity available. Call your local chamber of commerc and ask them if they know of anyone looking for a qualified accountant. just a few thoughts. Good luck mama. Sorry to hear of what ur going thru though, that must be so difficult.

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page