disability insurance for maternity leave? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

It's almost open enrollment time for insurance at my work and they are offering us disability insurance now. The paperwork says it will cover maternity leave and provide income during this time. I don't have the price for it yet but I just wondered if anyone else has done this.

We just started TTC and know without a doubt that we'll both need to work to make ends meet with a baby.

If you've gone this route- was the cost really high? did it really cover income during maternity leave? was it complicated to deal with?

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#2 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM

DO IT!!!

Its not high maybe 3$ every two week. It also depends on the insurance plan.

With my son I had to stop work at 8 weeks. They paid me though my whole pregnancy and 8 weeks postpartum. It was amazing. It was so nice to not have to worry about $$ when I was in the hospital for months.

I would definitly go for it!

#3 of 7 Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do it. The cost is usually low and you should always, always opt into disability insurance plans. You never know what the future will bring. And if it covers maternity, even better.

#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Read the fine print first before you sign up. I know with mine there was a 90 day waiting period before you could use your benefits.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#5 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM

I was disappointed in my short-term disability because I was misled as to what it would provide.  As long as you speak to HR and they are clear then I would say definitely go for it.  It covered about 4 weeks of my 12 weeks, which ended up being a pretty big chunk of money and I paid the other 8 weeks (partially) out of my sick/vacation/leave hours so I wasn't getting my full pay during that time because I didn't have enough hours saved for the whole 8 weeks.  It was nice to not have to spread them even thinner over 12 weeks.  It ended up being worth the cost because I only pay something like $12 a month for my short-term disability.

Homebirthing | Babywearing | Clothdiapering | Cosleeping | Mama

#6 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Definitely do it!! I got half my income for six weeks, all in one big check. It really pays off if you go out early on bed rest or something. Maternity is usually exempted from the waiting period. It's very inexpensive, so even if you don't get pregnant it's probably worth it, they will cut you a check if you sprain an ankle or whatever, too.
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienEllen View Post

I was disappointed in my short-term disability because I was misled as to what it would provide.  As long as you speak to HR and they are clear then I would say definitely go for it.  

Overall, I vote yes as long as the cost is reasonable (or free as an employee benefit)  but like the PP, I was really shocked and disappointed when I discovered how little coverage it provided.  I worked at a publicly traded company at the time with a good benefit package.

My memory is hazy on the exact numbers but from what I remember, it didn't kick in until I was off for 4 weeks.  During that 4 weeks, I was required to use all available paid time off, which wasn't a problem because I had tons of time off. 

The short term disability payments kicked in for weeks 5 and 6 only.  Had I not had enough paid time off, I would have gotten nothing for the first the first 4 weeks and payments only for weeks 5 and 6.  

Don't get me wrong, something was better than nothing but this particular benefit wasn't as valuable is I was led to believe by the HR department.   The "6 weeks for short-term disability" for maternity leave ended up being two weeks of partial pay, I think it was 70% of regular salary.

We offer short-term disability plans at my work and the cost and coverage really varies depending on how much income you want to replace and for how long.    Read the fine print very carefully so you know exactly what to expect.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page