homeschooling mama considering going back to school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It has been on my mind to go back to school, but I need a 100% online degree and what I'm interested in is not available 100% online (foreign language, art history). I have now looked at a degree in sociology and it sounds very interesting. Any sociology majors around?

I'm wondering about sending my kids to public school so I can devote more time to my studies. I have 2 of school age, a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I have a lot of conflicting feelings about public schools. It has some pros, definitely, but I don't agree with much of their policies, etc... Has anyone had this problem? And how did you get over it?

In my perfect little world, I would be able to fit it all in: husband, kids, home, homeschooling, my own studies. I really want that degree, but I also want what is best for my children, which for me is to homeschool them.

So I guess I'm just looking for some advice, btdt experiences. Thank you for your time! smile.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM

I'm currently going back to school, and thinking about homeschooling. Public school has been just *ok*. Unfortunately I live somewhere there aren't any other options as far as charter/alternative schools to consider. And this upcoming school year dd would have to switch schools which would be a change for the worse. I haven't totally decided yet what we're going to do. greensad.gif

Can you just take one or two classes online to start out with while you homeschool? What I wish I had in my area was the option to send dd part time, like 2 or 3 days to school. I think K12 has that option in some cities, where you do stuff online at home, then meet with other hs'ers a couple times a week. Maybe your area has something similar you could look into? 

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#3 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

No experience, but something I am thinking about as well.  I am homeschooling my 5 and 2-year-olds and thinking about going back to school-but really don't want to send them to school.  My degree would not necessarily be available online either (maybe, but probably not).  Going part-time is an option, but I fear it will take me 8 years to finish that way :)

good luck with your decision-it is a big one!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM

I originally planned to home school, but I ended up sending my kids to public school. There are pros and cons to everything. We've had a great public school experience. My children thrive in a setting where they are with other kids all day. We all have formed a large community through their school. 

In regards to your own schooling, you could start be enrolling in just a few online courses. Probably for any degree you work towards, you'll have lots of prereqs, and I know at my university lots of them are offered online. I've taken 3 online classes. One was an African Art class, one was a history class, and another was a writing class. I know some math classes are offered online too at my university. So you could start off right now with just a few online classes, and if you decide to pursue a degree where you have to actually attend class, you could work on those in a year or two or even three! I went back to school full time when my kids were 2, 4 and 7. It worked out and I found a great balance of having my kids at childcare/school and being home with them. Good luck! 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page