what to wear to a lawyer interview during the 3rd trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got an interview for a 1/2 time job that I am really excited about.  The interview isn't until the end of the month, meaning that I will be like 35 weeks pregnant at that point.  I am a lawyer, I haven't been working for the last year and I don't have formal maternity cloths.  The job is at a Legal Aid in a small town so it is about as casual as a lawyer job can be.  Do people think I have to buy a maternity suit?  It seems like such a waste to wear it once.  Someone else suggested a dress shirt with black pants and a cardigan? 

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

#2 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On whether you need to wear a suit or not, probably others are better help than I, since I'm in a different industry. (Where suit wearing in interviews is mandatory. And pregnant bellies are interview death ... sigh ;)

But if you decide that you want to wear one, you might be able to buy/borrow one used. Or, you could buy one new and then resell it. Then it will be worn more than once, one way or another ... just a thought. : )

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#3 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I work in a biglaw firm and even though we have a "business casual" dress code like most big law firms every single lawyer interviewing here wheres that boring interview suit. However, given the circumstances I think that while you need to dress formally, you needn't wear a suit.

Something like this with class accessories and heels if you can manage them would be fine:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6035&vid=1&pid=187366&scid=187366002

And as long as the neckline isn't too low, which plauges many maternity dresses

http://www.destinationmaternity.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=900510022&MasterCategory_Id=MC3&green=AAC21ABD-8F63-5330-A3B5-18C15420DC34

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page