My Life when My Baby started eating solid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my baby was 5 months old, I was contemplating whether to start giving her solid food or not. I read that solid food is normally introduced to baby after 6 months but when I went to a baby fair I saw that there are baby food that can be given to baby at 4 mos., I also saw a baby (about my baby's age that time) having a free taste. I didn't buy yet but that made me decide to start feeding my 5 months old baby with solid food.

Feeding a baby with solid food wasn't an easy task as I thought specially for a first timer and working mom like me. Here are the things I consider when it comes to baby food.

1. Ready made baby Food. Mine started with babynat  http://www.babynat.co.uk/ (for 4 mos+) and Organix http://www.organix.com/ that I bought at babyonline store in 112 Katong Mall, they are also selling it online at http://www.babyonline.com.sg . It was a good start, my baby love it but I am not comfortable with just giving her instant baby food, that goes to no.2

2. Home made baby Food. This one needs planning and tools. The first time I made baby food, I bought organic carrot, apple and squash at shop n' save. I used our kitchen's steamer and blender to prepare the food. I still have few breastfeed plastic storage bag left and used it to store the baby food and freeze. It was ok, my baby also love it but I am still not comfortable using our kitchen utensils in preparing baby food plus I am only preparing small amount (I maintain stock for 3 days feed). I just bought Avent steamer and blender at Takashimaya Baby Fair (It is still available until sunday), It comes with food storage container that you can put in freezer, Avent Pillow and bolster. Price $199 (they said U.P. is 300+). I also bought extra containers at $25. It is very convenient to use. Another thing I loved about it are the recipes, it has helped me with all the doubts in choosing which food to give and when to give it to my baby. Also, on how to prepare and store baby food. The recipe book also shows the nutrients your baby will get in every baby food you prepare.  

3. A week's menu. Since I am working, I have to make a plan of my baby's food so it'll be easy for the person taking care of her to know when and how much my baby should eat. Here is a sample.

My baby wakes up early at around 6am - She'll drink milk first. My baby would drink milk in between meals.

For breakfast - She had squash this morning and the nanny said I should prepare more next time since the amount I prepared isn't enough. Squash puree and water or squash and carrot juice.

For Lunch - Apple puree

For Dinner - Potato puree

To what I read, start giving your baby with plain food first, when the baby is already used to the taste of the food then you can start mixing like pear and squash or carrot and brocolli

I still have a long way to learn different types of healthy food as my baby grows. It's challenging but it's all worth it. Only when I prepare my baby's own food, though I go to work, gave me a peace of mind and satisfaction that I am still taking care of my baby even Im not around the whole time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering jayil. Nice post. Thanks for sharing your approach to introducing and preparing baby foods. 

I did want to point out that it is the World Health Organization that recommends you not start a baby on any supplemental foods before the age of 6 months. Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal until that point and then foods introduced slowly thereafter. 

Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Solid foods could be introduced earlier if they are not replacing a breastfeeding meal. I started my daughter at 4 months with mixed grain cereals and such and she is doing great with food.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Welcome to Mothering jayil. Nice post. Thanks for sharing your approach to introducing and preparing baby foods. 

I did want to point out that it is the World Health Organization that recommends you not start a baby on any supplemental foods before the age of 6 months. Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal until that point and then foods introduced slowly thereafter. 

Hi Cynthia, I agree with you about breastfeeding. I was breastfeeding my baby until she was 3 months when I had to be away for weeks and just left her with stocks of breastmilk but when I returned, she no longer wanted to be breastfed so to compensate I decided to introduce her to solid food at an early age.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

graciegal, some babies do just fine with a little food at 4 months. But the fact is you are substituting breastmilk because the baby has to be hungry to take the food. So you are choosing giving him or her solid food instead of nutritional superior breastmilk. With the WHO recommendations of a full six months of exclusive breastmilk as the best feeding approach for infants I think only certain necessity situations would be compelling enough to give foods earlier. 

jayil, three months of breastfeeding is wonderful. I imagine it was a nipple thing for her when you came back a few weeks later and she had been bottle fed for that long. But didn't you have to give her formula when she stopped breastfeeding? I've never known of a baby that young to be totally on solid foods that young.stillheart.gif

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Cynhtia! She drinks formula in between meals during the day and twice at night. eat.gif

P

User Tag List