Moderator of the Month - lauren! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

We have a wonderful group of women who volunteer their time and their love to helping keep the posting atmosphere helpful, comfortable and respectful here in the forums. They post to offer ideas and support and spend some of their precious moments making sure things run smoothly around here. We'd like to tell you more about them and give them some applause for all they do. 

This month we are honoring  laurenbadge_mod.v1305918894.gif

who has been a moderator since 2001, making her one of our most veteran moderators! Please take a moment to get to know lauren and and post to show her some Mothering community love. love.gif

Lauren is a working mom of three. She's an attachment enthusiast personally and professionally. She enjoys reading, singing, dance, reading some more, backpacking, hiking, XC skiing, raising chickens

What brought you to Mothering?

I have been a Mothering magazine reader since about 1985. My older sister gave me all of her back issues after she had her babies. I was in college at the time and very interested in women's issues and natural health. I already used midwives for regular health care appointments. Mothering was a natural fit for me! I was an avid magazine subscriber  and when the website came along I hopped right on!

Later on I had three babies of my own and found tremendous support in the Mothering community for a myriad of questions! (still do)

What is your role at Mothering?

I am a moderator for Learning at School, Adoptive/Foster Parenting and Working and Student Parents.

What do you like best about working as a moderator at Mothering?

The first couple of years of moderating my main hope was that I wanted to be helpful to moms who were choosing options less 'popular' in the AP world, like public schooling or working out of the home, in order to support them in providing the best attachment focused mothering that they could give,  given these choices. I worry sometimes that parents making these choices don't feel 'accepted' in an AP environment, but they are and should be!! It is possible and children can thrive in these situations given conscious parenting! I added Adoptive/Foster Parenting because it is a professional interest of mine and I admired (and still do) the amazing mamas that foster and adopt, for their intelligence and clarity, as they build their families. Overall, I like to be helpful and to 'defuse' situations and guide people to a clearer purpose in discussion.

What do you do when you're not at work?

What I like to do to relax is read, hang out with my kids and my animals (would have way more animals if I had time for them!), go for a run, hike, kayak, and sing (hospice chorus, as well as other recreational singing). I'm also pretty hooked on genealogy research.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

I think I would take on the power to end all abuse and neglect of children. And if I were allowed two superpowers I would have the power to expand and contract time as needed!

Thanks for all you do lauren!clap.gif

#2 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

It is so great to get to hear more about you Lauren. I love that you are into genealogy research--it is a favorite pastime of mine as well! 

Thanks for all of your hard work. :) 

#3 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hi Lauren, it's great to learn more about you. Your answer on the superpowers made me cheer out loud! thumbsup.gif Thanks for all you do for MDC!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Moving this over to Learning at School for a brief stop. Please post a hello to Lauren and share some forum love. love.gif

#5 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Hi Lauren joy.gif

Thank you for the special role you play here at Mothering!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you, Lauren. I like what you say about your hopes as a moderator. I support your desire to make "attachment parenting" more approachable for those in different circumstances. It's not a dogma!

#7 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Hi Lauren-

Thank you for taking time to be a moderator and help those of us who benefit from this wonderful site! blowkiss.gif

Mom to DS1 (6-25-00), DS2 (3-16-12) and DS3 (2-20-14) Wife to DH (2-14-09)
#8 of 13 Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Moving this to the Working and Student Parents forum so the posting community here can get to know their mod, lauren. love.gif

#9 of 13 Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM

thanks for being a part of mothering lauren!!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#10 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hi all! Just getting back from a lengthy vacation so sorry I didn't show up sooner!

Thank you Peggy and Cynthia and everyone else for their kind words!!!

#11 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful vacation. love.gif

#12 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Lengthy vacation, how delicious! Where did you go?

#13 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We took the California Zephyr (Amtrak) from here to Grand Junction, Colorado, got in a van and did Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, Dinosaurland NP, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Rocky Mountains. It was a mixture of camping, canyoneering, and hotels. We flew home.  It was fabulous!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page