Part-Time Nanny Share Tax Logistics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

We're hiring a part-time nanny (12.5 hours/week) to pick up our DD and another child from school, and hang out with them until we get home every day. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of payroll taxes, etc. Anyone have any advice on how to do this? The services I've looked at charge $700 or $800/year to do the taxes and paychecks. This seems like a crazy lot of money for a very part time position.

Thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

quickbooks with payroll will run you about 300 to set up. i think you have to renew the payroll portion annually, but its not $700!  also, do you have to do a proper paycheck (w2 employee) or could she be a w9 employee and be responsible for filing her own taxes at years end? you would just give her a 1099 at the end of the year.

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#3 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you can't find a cheaper solution and trust me I'd love one, we use mybreedlove.com and they are well managed. The fees are high but I don' think they are as high as the fees you've quoted.

One quirk we've found. Make sure the taxpayer is the person listed first on the federal income forms. DH was listed first and I was the payer of the taxes. The IRS didn't connect the dots and it screwed up our federal taxes.

#4 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I use Intuit Payroll (may be the same as quicken) & through Costco I get it for ridiculously cheep -- like around $9/month.

This software does not specifically support household employees, so there is stuff that I must do manually (state requirements, etc) but it will calculate the proper taxes for every paycheck & give me a W-2 at the end of the year & that's really what you need. The rest is annoying but not very time-consuming.

Also, something to consider if you are not having the care in your home -- I do not believe that you would need to pay the taxes (double or triple check that, though! I'm just going on a vague memory of reading something somewhere & suggesting you look into it).

Mama to my little busy bee. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page