In Home Child Care??S - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've sent my kids to a few daycare centers and have both loved and hated them. The daycare they are at now is awesome but I just got hired to a night shift when the center is closed. I will work 2-10 and the only places that can accomodate that are in home care centers.

However I am uber crunchy and none of the people providing child care are even soggy:( They all think cloth diapers are gross, babywearing makes babys clingy and antisocial, and hemp milk is not safe for children.... okay I could go on but I wont.

There is a lady whose attitude I love and she seems pretty laid back and flexible about my odd ways, but does not want to use cloth diapers. She said whatever pre packaged milk or food substitutes I bring my kids are fine. However there is a bit of tv time since at night she puts cartoons on and lets the kids veg out and sleep till parents come pick them up.

At the centers my kids have gone to they have been able to use cd's, drink pumped bm till two, eat vegan substitutes of my choice and one even babywore my dd till she was one. So are in home child cares less catering to crunchy moms? Like because there are only one or two people watching a whole range of kids?

I am kind of glad my dd will be with her baby brother all day, for some reason that makes leaving him alone easier. My dd loves being around other kids and is a social butterfly but her brother is so aloof and just wants to be hugged or read to on my lap most of the time.

So any first hand accounts with in home child care? Thanks

be good family...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?

be good family...

Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Since they are doing care in their home where there will possibly be other family members around during the times you're looking for home care.  It would be difficult to force their family and other children in their care to adhere to all your requests.  With cloth would you expect her to clean the cloth diapers? 

Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Since they are doing care in their home where there will possibly be other family members around during the times you're looking for home care.  It would be difficult to force their family and other children in their care to adhere to all your requests.  With cloth would you expect her to clean the cloth diapers? 

All I am asking is my kids don't be fed food that makes them sick (dairy) I have had no problems with my kids eating the way they do at centers and if I provide the food it is not a problem, except for one lady said she can't make sure they don't eat other kids food because she doesn't always watch them eat... I am philosophically and morally opposed to the destruction of our planet so I buy cloth dipes for my kids. There is no going out of the way to use an all in one, they go on just like sposies and can be disposed of in the same manner, the only differenece is I would take the 'trash' bag home with me. Every center my kids have been to would put the dirty dipe in a ziplock bag and put that in a trash bin or tupperware that seals.  Why on earth would I expect them to clean the cloth dipes?

The big thing that gets me is the tv! If you're being paid to watch my kids, I expect them to be paid attention to not put infront of a tv so you can sleep! I guess letting them watch tv is just a compromise I will have to accept if I put them into a home daycare! It seems like all of the ones in town use television as a babysitter in the evenings.

be good family...

Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work as an assistant teacher at an in home daycare, and I can tell you that the kids watch a movie about once a year, and it's a huge treat for them. However, during the summer the older kids are allowed to bring their Nintendo DS and play together on them for a little bit in the morning. We very much restrict the time that they're on them, and they play them together and enjoy it. During the school year there's no screen time at all.We keep them very engaged with crafts, outside games, etc.

You mentioned the childcare providers letting the kids watch TV while they sleep-I can never imagine it being ok to sleep while you're taking care of kids! I would personally not have a problem with feeding the kids the food you brought. I would be bothered by them saying that they can't keep your kids from eating other stuff. They should be with the children while they're eating. We certainly are where I work.

I love working at in home daycare because it's a happy place, and we can go with the flow more. If the kids are happy outside for hours, we can keep them there. However, it does sound to me like the place that you're looking at is a little slack.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful reply! This is the best, most flexible home daycare I could find. The tv is really what bugs me the most since I don't have a tv I'm worried that my kids will get too into watching tv there. I'm glad to hear not all home childcares are like this. It gives me hope that I will eventually find a better place I'll think more about what you have written and keep looking for another place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie12 View Post

I work as an assistant teacher at an in home daycare, and I can tell you that the kids watch a movie about once a year, and it's a huge treat for them. However, during the summer the older kids are allowed to bring their Nintendo DS and play together on them for a little bit in the morning. We very much restrict the time that they're on them, and they play them together and enjoy it. During the school year there's no screen time at all.We keep them very engaged with crafts, outside games, etc.

You mentioned the childcare providers letting the kids watch TV while they sleep-I can never imagine it being ok to sleep while you're taking care of kids! I would personally not have a problem with feeding the kids the food you brought. I would be bothered by them saying that they can't keep your kids from eating other stuff. They should be with the children while they're eating. We certainly are where I work.

I love working at in home daycare because it's a happy place, and we can go with the flow more. If the kids are happy outside for hours, we can keep them there. However, it does sound to me like the place that you're looking at is a little slack.

be good family...

Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

All I am asking is my kids don't be fed food that makes them sick (dairy) I have had no problems with my kids eating the way they do at centers and if I provide the food it is not a problem, except for one lady said she can't make sure they don't eat other kids food because she doesn't always watch them eat... I am philosophically and morally opposed to the destruction of our planet so I buy cloth dipes for my kids. There is no going out of the way to use an all in one, they go on just like sposies and can be disposed of in the same manner, the only differenece is I would take the 'trash' bag home with me. Every center my kids have been to would put the dirty dipe in a ziplock bag and put that in a trash bin or tupperware that seals.  Why on earth would I expect them to clean the cloth dipes?

The big thing that gets me is the tv! If you're being paid to watch my kids, I expect them to be paid attention to not put infront of a tv so you can sleep! I guess letting them watch tv is just a compromise I will have to accept if I put them into a home daycare! It seems like all of the ones in town use television as a babysitter in the evenings.

Watch it sweetie.  You didn't say the home daycare provider wouldn't be watching what they ate.  That would be a problem for me.  Otherwise good luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Seems like you could do better with home daycare that what you describe. I don't see any reason why home daycare has to be a compromise. As Natalie 12 says, they can be a good place. Do you have any other options to explore?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Imakcerka- I think her not monitoring exactly what they eat is my second biggest problem since my dd is 5 and knows what not to eat and would hopefully stop her brother from eating someone elses food. They can still see the kids from the main room but if a kid started choking it would take a lot longer to stop what there doing, go across to the kitchen and help them than it would if they were monitoring everyone even when a kid is 'just snacking'.

Peggy- So far this is the best of the in home child care providers I have found. There are a few people on the list I have that I have not yet been able to get in contact with so hopefully I will meet one of them before I have to start work on Friday. I get county funding to pay for my kids daycare since I am a single mom. So the only other option is to find a SAHM who is 'approved' and the approval can take about 6 weeks:( But if I find someone then my kids could go back to their center till 6 then somewhere else from 6-11.

be good family...

Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM

I think the biggest problem is your hours.  You are limited in who you can choose.

I do in home daycare.  I am THRILLED with cloth diapers because they go home with the child.  I don't have a week's worth of disposables taking up space in my trash can.  I don't think providers realize how nice it is to send them home.  I will even be happy to fold or stuff them after they have been washed.  

I would sit your kids down with whatever (healthy) foods you packed.  But, I would not promise that they wouldn't get other kid's food.  Even when you are monitoring, you can't be everywhere all the time.  It happens.  At least they are being honest with you.  

I think the tv thing is one you need to let go of.  Most other kids watch tv at night.  It's not going to be easy to find a daycare provider willing to read stories for two hours instead of using the TV.  Especially if she has other shifts.  Unless you do daycare, and run a household too, you can't begin to imagine the amount of work this is.  You just can't entertain and teach for 18-20 hours a day.  You need to do laundry, clean, prepare food etc.  Kids are left to their own devices in those situations.  (kids are more than capable of self entertainment)  TV is a part of that for most people.

Because it sounds like they do shift type hours, you are going to have to give them a little slack.  

Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

I think the biggest problem is your hours.  You are limited in who you can choose.

I do in home daycare.  I am THRILLED with cloth diapers because they go home with the child.  I don't have a week's worth of disposables taking up space in my trash can.  I don't think providers realize how nice it is to send them home.  I will even be happy to fold or stuff them after they have been washed.  

I would sit your kids down with whatever (healthy) foods you packed.  But, I would not promise that they wouldn't get other kid's food.  Even when you are monitoring, you can't be everywhere all the time.  It happens.  At least they are being honest with you.  

I think the tv thing is one you need to let go of.  Most other kids watch tv at night.  It's not going to be easy to find a daycare provider willing to read stories for two hours instead of using the TV.  Especially if she has other shifts.  Unless you do daycare, and run a household too, you can't begin to imagine the amount of work this is.  You just can't entertain and teach for 18-20 hours a day.  You need to do laundry, clean, prepare food etc.  Kids are left to their own devices in those situations.  (kids are more than capable of self entertainment)  TV is a part of that for most people.

Because it sounds like they do shift type hours, you are going to have to give them a little slack.  

Thank you for the thoughtful, honest response! I do see how they can't be one hundred percent positive my kids won't eat other peoples food because the kids are not blocked off from the kitchen, they snack in groups etc. I would like to think my dd can tell what is and isn't appropriate food for her and her brother to eat. I am really hoping when she sees how totally awesome the AIO's are it will change her opinion on cd's since most people think of cloth as prefolds and plastic pants that use sharp pins which are much more complicaited than would expect someone else to deal with. Although my dd's first daycare center did use a diaper service but they didn't actually let me use my own cloth because they didnt want it getting lost.

I agree I need to get over the tv thing, most people watch tv and are a okay! I guess in my subconscious I am afraid that my dd will end up liking it better there than here because I don't have a tv. I know it's unrational but I guess they will be watching age appropriate shows that might actually be educational.

be good family...

Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

So this home child care ended up being a horrid terrible experience. After dropping my kids off with their own milk, food and disposable diapers and driving to my new job, the lady called me about ten minuets after I dropped off my kidds. She complained my baby was crying too loudly. She then called my work and said it was an emergency and I had to pick up my kids. She called me back and complained that my baby was still crying and no one could hear the tv so I need to come and get him now. At this point it was barely twenty minuets since I dropped them off!

I can't believe someone who claims to provide child care to children over one would not expect a baby to cry!!! I mean hello babies cry, they take a while to adjust to a new situation and twenty minuets of crying is not a whole day! I guess I should have realized she wasn't really capable of watching babies when all of the other kids there were five and older. So now I have till Monday to find a new daycare or I'm fired! There were two other providers on the list of evening/weekend places and one of them is all ready filled up! I'm waiting for the last person to call me back and hopefully it will be a better situation with someone who understands that babies cry. 

be good family...

Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

So this home child care ended up being a horrid terrible experience. After dropping my kids off with their own milk, food and disposable diapers and driving to my new job, the lady called me about ten minuets after I dropped off my kidds. She complained my baby was crying too loudly. She then called my work and said it was an emergency and I had to pick up my kids. She called me back and complained that my baby was still crying and no one could hear the tv so I need to come and get him now. At this point it was barely twenty minuets since I dropped them off!

jaw.gif...I have NEVER, ever called a parent because a baby was CRYING.  I would never ever call a parent (at a new job no less) to complain about the baby crying.  Holy cow.. don't ever think all daycare settings are anything like this.  ALL the providers I know are extremely professional.  Yes, things happen, but you do not call a parent for a crying baby.  It's part of the job to find a way to make the baby comfortable and happy.  It's not the baby's job.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

jaw.gif...I have NEVER, ever called a parent because a baby was CRYING.  I would never ever call a parent (at a new job no less) to complain about the baby crying.  Holy cow.. don't ever think all daycare settings are anything like this.  ALL the providers I know are extremely professional.  Yes, things happen, but you do not call a parent for a crying baby.  It's part of the job to find a way to make the baby comfortable and happy.  It's not the baby's job.

Thanks for being as shocked and offended by her crass behavior as I was! I really don't think I'm going to be able to keep the job since the only opening they had was second shift. There are only three in home providers with evening and weekend avaliability. One of them is full all ready, but wasn't when this one agreed to take on my kids and the third hasn't called me back all day. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed I hear from her by the end of the weekend or else I'm fired for sure! I know that not all home providers are like this but it seems like there are not many options during second shift for single moms in this small city.

be good family...

Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I am so sorry to hear you are having all this trouble!!

I was so lucky in finding not one, but two different home providers that were willing to do breastmilk, cloth diapers, vaccine free at different times in my life. I wonder if there is a child care referral resource in your area that can point you in the right direction? Also can you beg to be put on first shift? I am sure you'd have more options with a traditional schedule.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

I am so sorry to hear you are having all this trouble!!

I was so lucky in finding not one, but two different home providers that were willing to do breastmilk, cloth diapers, vaccine free at different times in my life. I wonder if there is a child care referral resource in your area that can point you in the right direction? Also can you beg to be put on first shift? I am sure you'd have more options with a traditional schedule.

The people I contacted were on the county office of education referral list as licensed providers avaliable during my shift! I'm going to call the HR manager tomorrow morning and beeeg to be put on a 7-3 shift! I sure hope she says yes otherwise it's back to job hunting for me!

be good family...

Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Yowee, that sounds awful, especially as you have been trying to be so accommodating to the day care provider. Who calls you like that at work with an emergency? Crazy behavior. There just has to be another option. But, now it's Monday. What happened? Are you fired? Did you find another option? Can you find another job at hours where there are more providers? What kind of choices do you have? No family around? Do you have a friend who can help temporarily? I'm sure you've considered all this. If you are fired, maybe you start with the best center and then find a job around their hours. If you have that choice, of course. Would sure give you great peace of mind. Wishing the best for you.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

Yowee, that sounds awful, especially as you have been trying to be so accommodating to the day care provider. Who calls you like that at work with an emergency? Crazy behavior. There just has to be another option. But, now it's Monday. What happened? Are you fired? Did you find another option? Can you find another job at hours where there are more providers? What kind of choices do you have? No family around? Do you have a friend who can help temporarily? I'm sure you've considered all this. If you are fired, maybe you start with the best center and then find a job around their hours. If you have that choice, of course. Would sure give you great peace of mind. Wishing the best for you.

Oh I'm totally fired! I made a complaint with the county and the state licensing against her. I'm really disappointed because the only nurse aide jobs here are during second shift so I have to start looking for something else. They get to go back to their previous center, which my oldest has been asking to go back to since they left. They start again in two days so I'm going to have to look for different types of jobs now hope I get hired by someone else again. I have no family or friends here since I just moved here. My family is 5 hours away so it's too far to commute daily, but I could stay with them over the weekend and they would watch my kids for free, so if I could find a job working 12 hour shifts it might be worth it...

be good family...

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Any way you could do home health care? I suppose that would also have night hours. Good luck figuring this out. I'm sorry you got fired, but it sounds like your kids are happy going back to the previous place, so that's good. Good luck, hon!!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM

Is this crazy? Could you do home day care????

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I signed up for the home health agency in town and was hired on the spot; but they have not yet had any daytime shifts open up. Since it is back to college time for a lot of folks, there might be a few CNA's that drop their shifts for classes!

I've looked into having an in home daycare but since I rent I can't have a licensed one without my landlords approval. I am working on getting approved by the county to watch only one family's kids which would be minimum wage but if it were for enough hours it would be worth it!

Oh and my kids have been so happy this week! My daughter goes on and on about how she can't wait to do a full day at school like everyone else, there only there for a half day while I keep job searching. My son barley cries when I drop him off and I can hear him stop before I get out of the building. I think it is best for them to be back there for now.

be good family...

User Tag List