How far would you drive/how much would you pay for the right daycare? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you travel 20-30min out of your way for a natural, AP-style daycare?
No 5 100.00%
Yes, even if it cost about as much as a more conveniently located non-AP daycare 8 100.00%
Yes, if it cost about 10% less 0 0%
Yes, if it cost about 25% less 1 20.00%
Yes, if it cost about 50% less 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been a very happy at stay-at-home mom for the past 2.5 years, but our family just can't make it on one income for too much longer, I've decided I would really like to open a home daycare rather than look for work outside the home.  It would be a natural family living/attachment parenting-style daycare with plenty of outdoor free play for children, as well as activities that encourage creativity and cooperation, and I would practice babywearing with any infant under my care, meals and snacks would be organic and healthy, and I do not use any toxic products in my home.  As far as I can tell from searching online and looking through the posts on the local AP group's listserv, there are not any daycares in area offering anything like, and there are definitely parents in the area who would like to find something like thing.  My concern is that we live in rural area about 20-30min outside the main city where most of the people and workplaces are, and I'm wondering if it's realistic to think that parents would want to travel that far, even for a really good daycare.  I'd like to hear from other parents, would you travel this far for a good daycare, especially if the price took the extra distance into consideration?  How much less would you expect to pay compared to a more conveniently located, but non-AP daycare?  Thank you for your feedback.

#2 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM

When my kiddo was a tot, my office moved from 20 minutes from one side of my home to 20 minutes to the other side. I chose to drive 40+ minutes "out of my way" for over a year to keep him with an AP dc provider that we adored.  I paid the same prices as conventional prices for my AP provider and didn't get a discount for the distance. 

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#3 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have experience with daycares but I've noticed that the nannies who work in our larger circle who are AP-friendly (know how to feed breastmilk, always hold the babies while feeding, use a sling rather than stroller, gentle sleep help, no tv, imaginative play) command a premium. I live in Los Angeles were there are plenty of natural minded (and working) moms + the incomes to support nannies.

#4 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I wouldn't drive that far out of my way for childcare. I always looked for places close to work because I want to be with my child before and after work not in the car commuting.
#5 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

No, basically 20-30 mins out of my way is adding 40-60 mins in the AM and PM.(then I would need to turn around and head back into town)  Adding up to 2 hrs onto my commute, adding up to 2 hrs of wear and tear on the car, more gas, etc.  

I would be able to find suitable daycare somewhere near my office.  While that daycare might not be 100% perfect, I've learned over the years nothing is 100% perfect.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I feel so lucky that I found 2 different AP home providers (at different points in time) right in my town. I would have driven further for them though.

#7 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM

If it cost less, I would consider it. It would also greatly depend on the care that was available close by. Like anyone else, there are some things that are dealbreakers and other things that are negotiable, if care nearby was pretty reasonable with only a few negotiable issues I would be much more likely do that. Driving that far out of the way would be hard for me to do without significant advantages as that is a lot of time lost and if there is one thing I value a lot these days it is my time!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM

I drive 30 minutes in the wrong direction, then an hour to work, to take my daughter to private school (not AP or natural, but an immersion program with small classes) and I think it's totally worth it.  I think most people think I'm crazy though.

-Marisa, ecstatic mommy to amazing DD Sidonie, 2/07 :
#9 of 9 Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM

I don't sell myself as a "natural" or "AP" daycare.  But, I have parents who teach school.  They drive from one side of the city to bring me their kids, then drive the other direction to go to work.  I am on the other side of their schools by about six miles (in heavy traffic) and most of them live 15 miles away.  I am not on their way at all.   In Phoenix, that 15 miles is a huge deal.

I SO appreciate what they do too.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page