What healthcare career does not require vaccines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nursing schools around here are cutting down on who is vaccinated and is not, or so I heard from the students. They kicked some students out because they did not comply. I knew I had to get some vaccines but the only one I will never, ever get is the flu vaccine and it is now required. Boo... Well, back to searching for a career again. So, what health-related career can I go for that does not require vaccines? I tried Medical Transcription and it was not for me. 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#2 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM

There isn't an option for religious declination? Maybe it varies state by state.

Health-care related careers that allow you to practice independently would likely be your best bet. Are you interested in any forms of complimentary medicine?

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#3 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

The students that I know tried the religious exemption but got denied. Missouri is strict. I actually wouldn't mind going down the complimentary medicine route. I think all types of healthcare being nutrition, diet, exercise, massage, naturopath, acupuncture, and such are interesting. I also am quite open-minded (that's why I was going to go into nursing) but of course, there are some things that I wouldn't agree with. I don't know what career (that is on demand) I should go for.

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#4 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A career that does not involve entering hospitals. That is usually the issue with nursing schools, nursing students do clinical rotations at hospitals and the school must provide documentation of up to date vaxs. Religious exemption often is not accepted. This is even coming more and more of a problem with nurses who are employed by a hospital, they can require a flu vaccine, if you do not get it, you can be mandated to wear a mask while you work. I've heard many stories about discrimination about staff who refuse the flu vaccine even for very valid medical reasons. I personally do not accept it and so far I have passed under the radar BUT I went through nursing school years ago before it was mandatory, (I did have to get Hep B and be up to date on everything else back then) and now I work outside the hospital. I am *supposed* to get the flu vaccine but my employee handbook has not been changed to state it is mandatory. Yet anyway. 

All of those career paths you mentioned are going to depend on supply and demand in your local area. My areas is FLOODED with alternative providers in those areas.And I really do mean flooded, I can count the number of massage therapists that I know personally on more then two hands and I never actually go to one! Everyone and their husband seems to do massage work, and often on the side because there are so many, they often can't make enough to do it full time. Unless that is what you want, and again that is talking about my particular area.  The NDs probably fair the best but from the ones I've seen, it takes a few years to get a good client list to make decent money. Dieticians do not make great money and have very limited jobs, either in a hospital setting, nursing home (both limited to flu vaccine requirements again), WIC office (VERY difficult to get into a job there), or private practice. That is broadly speaking and a common issue in many issues. Private practice can ether be very good or really rough depending on your area. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I was going to go to massage therapy school 3 years ago, and then it suddenly shut down before I moved here. The next massage therapy school around here is around 50 miles away in the next state over.

Do they require the flu vaccine for pharmacy technicians? The school nearby has training for that. It was either that or Kineosiology/Exercise Science but... I don't know what kind of job you can get with that or if it's on demand. I need to make a decision quickly so I am not stuck taking the classes that I have now that are not even required. 

PS If there more of part time jobs for these, I wouldn't mind. That's actually exactly what I am going for. Part-time would be perfect.

#6 of 20 Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

bump.gif

Anyone?.... lol.

#7 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 AM

Physical therapy and occupational therapy are interesting, as is speech language pathology.  You would have to call around to find out if vaxes are required.  This area is also completely saturated with massage therapists.

Too bad you can't forge vax certificates, lol.

#8 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM

I have no idea about OT, PT or SLP and where they do their type of training. Some would be in the hospital I am assuming, you would have to check. All of those are excellent jobs, there seem to be more PT then OT or SLP, those later two in my area can basically get any type of job they want, hospital, nursing home, private practice, clinic, working for the school district, EI, you could work with toddlers up to elderly or pick a specialty. Almost all of my DS1's OT and SLP's (he is on the autistic spectrum and has 6 different therapists between those two specialties) all but one work work part time around their children's schedules. There is such a high demand in many areas across the country that they often get to pick what types of jobs they want. If I ever went back to school for a different career, I'd have SLP at the top of my list. 

Exercise Science, I wouldn't urge you towards that one, very limited market there. Personal training, and I'm not entirely sure what else you could do with it. Pharmacy Tech would be there better one out of two but it will depend on your local job market. If there is a school nearby that is cranking out techs, the market may be saturated. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM

ive worked for group homes, home health care agencies, assisted living and have never been required to get anything other than an annual TB test.  my current  agency doesnt even require that

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

The community college here has both the Occupational Therapy Assistant and the Physical Therapy Assistant associate degree with very rigid clinicals. If I had the money for it, I wouldn't mind going for SLP, OT, or PT. As of right now, I can only afford an associates. Is there a demand for OTAs/PTAs? 

#11 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Chiropractic/ chiro assistant ... Neither require vaccinations

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#12 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Veterinarian/veterinary assistant? Though there are other concerns then, like rabies.

#13 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I might go for the Physical Therapy Assistant program. I'm pretty sure of it now. Now, I have to figure out a way to withdraw from my current courses and pay back the financial aid. This will be fun. lol. 

I have thought about vet assistant but yeah, the cons of that would be rabies and such. My sister was a vet assistant and she hated every second of being there.

And there is no demand for chiropractor assistants around here. I have looked around my city and nothing. Not even a chiropractor opening but then again, they are usually independent businesses. I am not one for leadership and I am quite shy. I don't see myself doing that. shy.gif

Thank you gals for brainstorming ideas with me though! joy.gif

#14 of 20 Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Naturopathic Doc programs, Chinese medicine, massage therapy, nutrition, chiropractic, herbals....that sort of thing is still healthcare but vax would not be an issue in most. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone the ND route. (ETA: midwifery! totally forgot that one!)

#15 of 20 Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Pharmacy techs may be required to get vaccines if they work at a hospital. It would be unlikely in community pharmacy. It sounds from the rest of the thread like you aren't leaning this way anyway, but you can often get a tech job in a retail store off the street, no need to go to a school for it. (This may vary by state... but if you're curious there's no reason you couldn't ask local places what qualifications they want.) The downside is the pay is pretty lousy--hospitals pay better. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#16 of 20 Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM

What about venipuncture (drawing blood)? I don't think you need very extensive training and you can apparently get a decent job (according to the lady who took my blood the other day at Quest!)...

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#17 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 AM

You will do clinicals for PT and OT in healthcare settings, and will be required to get vaccinations.

It's a rare phlebotomist who works in a place that doesn't require flu, hep B, MMR, and other vaccines. Maybe at a private research lab. Around here phlebotomy is simply a job you are hired for, and then you receive on the job training. Paying for a course would be a waste of money (in my geographical area).

OP, any program that would have clinicals which placed you in a health care facility (nursing home, hospital, physician's office, pharmacy, health department) is going to require all the vaccinations you choose not to receive. Better look for some sort of profession which does not include such an environment.
#18 of 20 Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post

You will do clinicals for PT and OT in healthcare settings, and will be required to get vaccinations.

It's a rare phlebotomist who works in a place that doesn't require flu, hep B, MMR, and other vaccines. Maybe at a private research lab. Around here phlebotomy is simply a job you are hired for, and then you receive on the job training. Paying for a course would be a waste of money (in my geographical area).

OP, any program that would have clinicals which placed you in a health care facility (nursing home, hospital, physician's office, pharmacy, health department) is going to require all the vaccinations you choose not to receive. Better look for some sort of profession which does not include such an environment.

I guess my question is a little misconstrued. I am okay with receiving the other vaccines...just not flu. I looked it over on the student handbook for the program and it says nothing about flu.

#19 of 20 Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM

At the VA hospitals they are not requiring the flu vaxes yet. It may happen in the future, but not for years at least, if it ever happens. Pharmacy techs do not need any vaccinations, nor do most departments I'm familiar with, though it is possible that the doctors and nurses might (but not flu, that one is NOT mandated). So, you can always work for VA, but that doesn't help with the schooling part.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#20 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Flu is mandated at my facility, and most of the area facilities as well. If you refuse or are unable to get the vaccine, you must wear a mask from the beginning of October until the end of March. You cannot take it off when you are in pt care or public areas of the facility.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page