Entering Healthcare Field/Vaccines - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, was wondering if anyone has any advice on this subject. I am a single mom, and I am back in school. I am interested in a few healthcare related jobs, as this career field is booming, and is good money. The things I am considering are ultrasound tech, or physical therapy assistant. Both of these types of programs at the schools have strict admission procedures, with full vaccination records being required. They also draw blood and test titers for MMR and varicella and hep b. I am 27. I have a feeling I would need a vaccine or two. Never had chix pox even though i exposed myself a lot when i was young.

I dont vaccinate my son anymore as he had very serious reactions. I also react terribly to vaccines, specifically the flu vax. I get fevers, and my immune system sucks for months afterwards. Vaccines scare me, because i worry about long term effects on the autoimmune system, etc.

I am wondering if i should just suck it up and do the vaxs for myself to get into a good career field. I appreciate anyones feedback.

DS 5-11-06
#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM

You should keep in mind that you will most likely be required to receive a flu shot every year that you work in healthcare.  So it's not like you are going to have to get it now and never again.  I have never had a bad reaction, so I can't really commiserate.  Good luck in making your decision!

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM

#4 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM

I'm a little late to the game, but I did want to tell you that when I started nursing school at 25, all of my titers were fine and I needed no vaxes or boosters, so I woulnd't automatically assume you will need anything.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I work in that setting and at this point, no one is required to have flu shots or any other vaccines. It really depends on the specific place.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#6 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM

From personal experience, it's hard to go vax-free in the health care industry. While you could likely find a Dr. willing to write a note about your previous reactions (one of the only exemptions to the flu shot). I stood my ground with refusing a flu shot at a major medical center and lost my job. No real complaints, however....while it was a good job, it was like factory work with how many patients I saw daily, and I was ready to leave the rat race so their crazy vax policy came at the right time for me.

#7 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM

You could look into what is required by different employers. If you are working for a big academic medical center you will probably be required to get flu vax every year. But maybe not in another setting. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page