Landing an out-of-state interview - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We want to move to the Pacific Northwest, which is quite a distance from where we are now (Arkansas).  I've applied for a few jobs in the area, but I'm fearful that they are going to pass me over because they don't want to deal with the distance when they can find someone (almost  wink1.gif) just as good in the local area.

Is there a way to combat that?  Should I just call and be sure they know I'm willing to travel?  Maybe something I should include on a cover letter?

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#2 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I do a lot of hiring and I always appreciate when applicants tell me in their cover letter 1) why they are relocating to my area and 2) if they will be in my area in the next month, or that they are willing to travel. Some employers might be worried that they have to pay for the trip for the interview so you could reassure them that you have accommodations already (unless it is an industry that regularly foots the bill for this type of thing).

#3 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM

What kind of business, if you don't mind me asking? I was born and raised in Seattle.

I know for a fact that the tech industry will fly you out or you'll do about 8 phone interviews. The company my DH is with now flew him down here to interview and he got an offer from another company after doing 8 phone interviews.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in education, but the jobs I've applied for are recreation/programming coordination positions (one for Bellevue and one for Redmond).  I'm a librarian now, so basically these jobs are what I do minus the library part (I currently do a TON of programming).  I don't expect them to fly me out, I'm happy to cover that bill.

I've already sent the application materials.  Should I just call to let them know I'll cover the travel expenses for an interview?  One of the jobs closes next Friday and the other not for a week or two after that.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You could call them to make sure they received the resume and to let them know you will be in the area; ask them if they are in the interviewing phase yet and let them know of your availability. This could help a lot.

#6 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM

I am a recreation coordinator for a small city (62,000) in the west. I would call/ confirm that they got the packet. But just an FYI for our last position we got 250 packets ( also a desirable area to live) from all over the country. The rec manager lowered it to 50. The hiring group lowered it to the 10 that would be Interviewed. Two thirds were from out of state and so those were phone interviews. The next stage was 3, 1 out of state. We hired none of them and re opened it.
We don't fly out anyone except head of depts. the private sector is very different. My husband is in industrial safety and has had his full travel expenses paid by several companies. I'm not sure what a non profit like the YMCA would do.
#7 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I am a recreation coordinator for a small city (62,000) in the west. I would call/ confirm that they got the packet. But just an FYI for our last position we got 250 packets ( also a desirable area to live) from all over the country. The rec manager lowered it to 50. The hiring group lowered it to the 10 that would be Interviewed. Two thirds were from out of state and so those were phone interviews. The next stage was 3, 1 out of state. We hired none of them and re opened it.
We don't fly out anyone except head of depts. the private sector is very different. My husband is in industrial safety and has had his full travel expenses paid by several companies. I'm not sure what a non profit like the YMCA would do.

Ugh, that is not encouraging! LOL  The cities both use a website for their job applicants and you can see how many people have applied.  For one, it is over 100 people so far (bachelor's degree prefered but not required, which I think is why there are so many) and the other has about 25.

I'll give them both a call next week to double check that everything was submitted correctly and to mention that I'm willing to travel for interviews at their convienence.

I wish we could just move there and then worry about jobs, but dh says that isn't wise in this economy (and I think he's right).

#8 of 9 Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when I job hunted to move to Chicago from DC, I didn't start getting interviews until I had a local address and phone number. My husband ended up going out and getting an apartment (we moved for his grad school) and I finally started to get interviews when I started using my Chicago address on my resume. Do you know anyone in Seattle with a local address you could "borrow" for the resume? I obviously left my real location and job information under the work portion of the resume, and when asked, I said truthfully that the position was flexible and I was able to travel (I worked a flex schedule with every other Fri off and would schedule flying out for a 3-day weekend) but was looking for something permanent in my new town. 

#9 of 9 Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin77 View Post

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when I job hunted to move to Chicago from DC, I didn't start getting interviews until I had a local address and phone number. My husband ended up going out and getting an apartment (we moved for his grad school) and I finally started to get interviews when I started using my Chicago address on my resume. Do you know anyone in Seattle with a local address you could "borrow" for the resume? I obviously left my real location and job information under the work portion of the resume, and when asked, I said truthfully that the position was flexible and I was able to travel (I worked a flex schedule with every other Fri off and would schedule flying out for a 3-day weekend) but was looking for something permanent in my new town. 

I've been getting that vibe from most of the people I've talked to.  We know not a soul in the area.  I keep telling my husband that we should just do it!  Just bite the bullet and move!  But he's right when he says that's a bad move in this economy. <----------my mantra lately

I feel like I'm never going to get out of this stinking state! #pityparty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page