Helping a very fussy 9 month old be happier at day care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I am not the mother of the child in question, but I work at the daycare where she spends 40 hours per week. She has been at this daycare for 5 months. Since she started she has cried pretty much constantly. Her mom stops by midday and nurses her because she won't drink from a bottle or a cup. She may or may not eat the food the mom sends (bread and beans). She sometimes stops crying when picked up and held, but after 5-10 minutes starts crying again (while still being held). She sleeps well at naptime.

I am at a loss. With 4 kids per grownup she can't be held all day. Even if that were possible it doesn't always cheer her up. I asked her mom to pump and send milk, with the goal that we can bottle or cup feed her so that the mom doesn't have to be called in every day. The owner of the daycare likes to be the kind of daycare that encourages mom to drop by and nurse. But that is different with the other kids: happy all morning, mom drops by to nurse, leaves, kid is happy all afternoon. This is not like that.

Any idea what could be causing her misery? They are vegan so my suggestion of feeding her something creamy and sweet like yogurt was denied though she said she might consider soy yogurt but didn't sound thrilled. Teething? Missing mom? Sensory issues? I just can't believe that in 5 months of being in this very loving, cozy, crunchy daycare that she hadn't adjusted. Even if you don't have an idea as to the cause does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vijay
Mom to Charlotte (9) and Violet (7)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

So is she about 8 months old? I am wondering more about her diet. Some babies are very sensitive to the feelings in their tummies. Beans, for example, are very gas producing. Could she be really uncomfortable?

Any chance you can put her in a sling  during part of the day? The combination of snug fit around her and being held might help her, much in the way that swaddling does.

Does mom say she is this way at home?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beans would be hard on such a young baby. She could have colic. So hard to tell please keep us posted. I will try to think f ther possibilities! Good luck!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

User Tag List