Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Working and Student Parents (http://www.mothering.com/forum/159-working-student-parents/)
-   -   Any Mamas in school and working? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/159-working-student-parents/1365780-any-mamas-school-working.html)

Freedom~Mama 10-15-2012 04:57 PM

I work 30 hours a week as a Montessori teacher, plus I am a full time student (taking 15 credits this semester).  I have two kiddos that are in elementary school and a supportive Fiance.  I still feel very overwhelmed though.  Anyone else in a similar boat?!  How do you deal with the exhaustion and stress?

Ameliasmommy124 10-15-2012 05:20 PM

Oh, me, me! I work 30 hours a week and am in school for my bachelor's. I'm currently taking 9 credits this semester and am taking 12 in the spring. I have a toddler who's almost two and we're in the midst of trying for another.

I have clearly lost my mind.

I have no advice on the stress and exhaustion cause I still haven't figured out how to manage. But, I try to remind myself that this is only temporary, right?

desidoesit 10-15-2012 07:43 PM

Wow, you both ROCK!  I am thinking about going back to school and you 2 just inspired me!

greenwitchymama 10-16-2012 07:11 PM

I'm not working.. yet. But I'm taking 15 credits this semester and planning to launch a blog soon that I hopehopehope I can monetize. Which means I'll have to work on that quite a bit. I never really knew how much work it could be to blog... 

Advice on stress and exhaustion: go to bed at night. My worst enemy is the lure of late night tv watching in an attempt to find some solitude. It never really is worth it in the end. 

Also, my husband and I take turns sleeping in on the weekends. I get Saturday morning to sleep, then I take DS for the afternoon while he gets things done. Then he sleeps in on Sundays and takes DS in the afternoons so I can get stuff done. It's a really helpful arrangement and gives us both some time for solitude if we need it.

birthjunkiemom 10-16-2012 07:27 PM

Yes.  Came to this forum looking for those who might know about pumping and working.  I am a full time teacher, and am taking 2 classes this semester as well.  I have 4 kids, and am due with #5 in January.  I was a SAHM until a couple of years ago, so this working and pumping thing is going to be brand new to me.

angelove 10-23-2012 06:12 PM

Another one here. I work full-time and am taking two classes this semester. I have two school-aged kid and a really supportive husband. What I found really help:

-Give up on having an organized/clean house. Too most people my home looks great but it is not up to the standard that I would prefer it to be.

-Getting enough sleep and exercising a few times a week. My kids being older, I can sleep in on the weekend which is a lifesaver as I am a big sleeper!

-Having the support of my employer who gives me a day off to study when I have an exam.

Still sometimes I am also stressed and feel overwhelmed but I try to remember that it is only temporary.

Ragana 10-23-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwitchymama View Post
Advice on stress and exhaustion: go to bed at night. My worst enemy is the lure of late night tv watching in an attempt to find some solitude. It never really is worth it in the end. 

Yup! I agree wholeheartedly. Gee, doing that now!

I have two school-aged kids, work full time and take one class per semester (this semester will be a lot of writing & my job involves writing). Being self-employed, I can work my studying into my day because I save time by not commuting. Otherwise, I try to do catch-up work/studying at night (hard for me) or early mornings on the weekend.

My only other advice is have school-aged kids... OK, not very helpful. But when DH was in grad school, we had one in school and put one in preschool - it was that time that he used to study.

SplashingPuddle 10-24-2012 05:04 PM

I tried to work 1/2 time and do fulltime school my first semester of graduate school, while I had 2 children. It turned out not to work very well. I had to cut back, and I decided to do school 1/2 time as well. That has been far more manageable. It will take longer, but I just wasn't coping with the various pulls on my time/energy.  Now I am hoping to complete my next semester before giving birth. I have no idea what happens if I give birth part way through a semester - anyone have experience with that?

Indigo73 10-25-2012 01:35 PM

I work full time and go to school full time.  Admittedly my kiddo is almost 11 so he is probably older than your wee ones.

JollyGG 10-25-2012 02:21 PM

I'm working full time and doing graduate school full time. It's going much better than I thought it would. Right now I have a A in all three of my classes. All of my classes are online. I typically do my reading after the kids are in bed during the evening and do my assignments on Saturday and Sunday. This is my first year of school and I'm done with my job at the end of the fiscal year (June 30). I'm looking forward to next year when I plan to just do school and not work. But I'm making it work for now. I made sure my advisor knew that I was still working full time when I registered for classes and so we tried to find some of the easier classes for this first year. 

Edited to add - my house is an absolute disaster. I've decided to be okay with that. I only have so many hours a day. I devote them to work, my kids, and my schooling. 

MyGarden 11-06-2012 03:46 PM

I work in a university with students who are also parents, perhaps these online resources can be helpful, check them out at your convenience. Although in some instances the context is clearly Canadian, I find that student parents' needs are universal - what varies is the degree of support they can receive.

Webinars:

http://hosting.epresence.tv/FCO/1/watch/63.aspx
http://hosting.epresence.tv/FCO/1/watch/26.aspx

Student stories:

www.familycare.utoronto.ca/student_parents/ohp_intro.html

Tips for student parents:

www.familycare.utoronto.ca/student_parents/index.html

betinabean 11-30-2012 09:17 AM

Yup, I was in my third year of part-time grad school, while working full time, when I had my son. At the time, I was just taking two evening classes. I was very obviously pregnant, and I made sure to introduce myself to my professors on the first day of class and tell them when I was due. I also made friends in both classes who would email me what I missed. In truth, everyone was pretty excited.

My little Logan was born on a Friday. I missed the following week's classes on Mon and Tues, and the next week's Mon class, and was back in the Tues class. It was a relatively uneventful birth (ie, no C-section, NICU, etc.), so I think that's why I was able to jump back in the saddle. I also have an amazing fiance who stayed home with the baby those two nights.

I was exclusively breastfeeding, so that was a little tough -- we got one 15-min break from class each night, so I'd go out to my car and pump during that time. I also pumped 10 min each morning so I had a decent freezer stash and enough for him to be fed (one or two bottles? I don't remember) while I was out.

For me, the timing worked out pretty well, since he was born in Feb so for the bulk of the semester I was on maternity leave, and only had to worry about baby and school, not baby, school, and work.

goodygumdrops 12-16-2012 06:45 PM

I am just finishing my semester, yet hank goodness. I was taking taking 11 credits and working full time. I'm so utterly exhausted its unreal.

ZoeStarshine 08-03-2013 11:53 PM

I work 40+ hours a week in tech support for a major telecom company, but I recently accepted another tech support gig with benefits starting in a couple of months, so technically, as per my recent discussion with my boss who is reluctant to part with me, I will soon have one full-time job and another very part-time gig. I'm also a full-time student at my local community college with a 4.0 GPA. DD, who is breastfed and co-sleeps with DH because the bed is too small for all three of us, is turning one this year. DH is a stay-at-home dad, my doting domestic foil and the only reason I haven't completely descended into madness yet. As to dealing with exhaustion and stress? My methods are less than healthy, especially now that summer term has been kicking my butt, including lots of caffeine and giving myself short breaks to cry it out in the bathroom quietly when I get too overwhelmed.

clh5117 08-05-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom~Mama View Post

I work 30 hours a week as a Montessori teacher, plus I am a full time student (taking 15 credits this semester).  I have two kiddos that are in elementary school and a supportive Fiance.  I still feel very overwhelmed though.  Anyone else in a similar boat?!  How do you deal with the exhaustion and stress?

I feel you completely!  I have three kids, but my older two live between their myself and their father.  I work full time, am working on two certifications (the hours I spend on both add up to full time student hours), while also running a non-profit and my holistic birth doula business.  I feel like I never stop moving!  Honestly I just get breaths in as much as I can.  I am working on simplifying our home to be more minimalistic and unplugging any time that I'm not needed.  It's hard, but you have to take "me" time or you'll lose sanity quickly.

betinabean 08-06-2013 08:34 AM

This just came up in my email... and I wanted to update after a whole year of 2 days/wk internship + 1 class + full time job + weaning/raising a 7mo - 17mo old... I am finally finished with school! It is so nice to be home at a normal time every night.

I also passed my licensing exam (I am a social worker), and am starting a new job on Monday with a pretty decent raise from my current job. Just wanted to offer hope to all you mamas slugging it out, that you're not alone, and it's not forever, and it's SOOO worth it in the end!!

xxblowkiss.gif

JollyGG 12-22-2013 09:22 PM

So how's everyone doing after Fall semester?

I did well. I only have one semester left before graduation. It's my student teaching semester so I'm a bit worried. I was laid off from my job in June and have been collecting unemployment since October. However, once I'm student teaching there is some debate weather I'm available for work (I maintain that evening and weekends still exist), but it looks like I'm probably loose my benefits. So we'll be living on student loans and my tax return. Then I'll have to get a summer job and find a teaching position for fall.

But I'm happy because my grades were good. Of my three classes one was enjoyable, one was only okay, and one was horrible. The horrible one basically uploaded the course content then stopped interacting with the class unless we complained to the university, then he'd get on and grade a whole bunch of assignments then ignore us again. But it's over and I got good grades. Student teaching is pass/fail so it looks like I'll graduate with a 4.0 come spring.

Trixie Falsae 12-28-2013 08:55 PM

I work 40 hours a week and am also working on my RN-BSN. I elected to go part time which makes the program take twice as long, but I only have one or two classes a semester. My tips? Make sure you get your sleep. I put the kids to bed at 8 and try to get to bed by 10. I am usually up to 11 but my goal is 10. Never be afraid to ask for help. Or say no to friends or your kids teachers. Love your life as it is. My life is busy, crazy, overwhelming (especially now that I am expecting #4), but also full of love and laughter. I am looking forward to when things "calm down", but I am enjoying the ride. Oh, and I quit obsessing about my weight and diet. I may have packed on 15 BEFORE getting pregnant, but I lost it once I can do it again. I have more important things to think about. 

Laura87 01-18-2014 08:53 AM

WOW! I SOOOO needed this! So glad to see you all here. I am a full time graduate school student ( a joint masters and Ed.D). I have been working part time with two little kids but recently got offered a DREAM full time job. The money would change my life but I am terrified of how much work this all will be. Seeing other mamas doing just that is so inspiring, thank you :):):)

ILoveMyBabyBird 01-18-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Falsae View Post

I work 40 hours a week and am also working on my RN-BSN. I elected to go part time which makes the program take twice as long, but I only have one or two classes a semester. My tips? Make sure you get your sleep. I put the kids to bed at 8 and try to get to bed by 10. I am usually up to 11 but my goal is 10. Never be afraid to ask for help. Or say no to friends or your kids teachers. Love your life as it is. My life is busy, crazy, overwhelming (especially now that I am expecting #4), but also full of love and laughter. I am looking forward to when things "calm down", but I am enjoying the ride. Oh, and I quit obsessing about my weight and diet. I may have packed on 15 BEFORE getting pregnant, but I lost it once I can do it again. I have more important things to think about. 

I am not working and going to school, but I must emphasize the not worrying about your weight thing! I am a single mom who is still at home while working on getting licensed to become a teacher and I cannot stress about my body. I recently had some tests done and all my blood work, sugar, cholesterol etc, are awesome! I could stand to lean up and lose 10 lbs or so, but I have much bigger fish to fry like studying, caring for my kiddos, getting some down time in, searching and applying for jobs-which is a part-time job in itself and many other to do's on my list. I get out with the kids in nice weather, eat okay and thats about it. 

pudlenka 01-22-2014 04:50 PM

I worked full time and did my doctorate part time starting before ttc then while pg with dd1 through when she was about 18mo. Now I work full time and teach doctoral students offload one class a semester. I can't volunteer as much as I would like. I need to get better at saying no. I second the sleep advice, but also suggest not holding yourself to such unrealistically high expectations that you can't breathe. Unless you're in a position where you'll apply for an advanced degree program or where job competition is so fierce that you're expected to disclose gpa, give yourself permission to get a few b's. I would rather have as a student someone who works hard, grasps the material well, and will be a good future professional who can figure out a work life balance than someone who busts balls, gets the highest grass in class and burns out once every 9 or 10 months.

thefragile7393 02-14-2014 08:19 PM

Work full time and student part time..no major yet

GazelleIntense 05-05-2014 05:14 PM

I work 32 hours a week as a pre-k teacher, I have a husband and 2 sons (age 3 and 6), I'm pregnant, and I start taking my first two graduate level courses next week!Eeek!

Sharlla 05-16-2014 08:47 AM

I work full time as. Manager for a not for profit. I get to work 20 of my hours doing sleep over nights so that helps. I also go to school full time to get a bachelor in social work. I just finished semester with 5 A's! I'll be taking a 4 credit class this summer and 5 classes in the fall again

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk