Vet School as a Single Parent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have just discovered that my husband is having an affair.  While that is a topic for another thread, it has lead me to rethink my life plan.  I have been a SAHM for the last 5 years, and I have to get back in the workforce. My problem is that my background is in marine biology, doing field work on boats for months at a time.  Obviously, I can't be doing that with 2 kids in tow.  So I have been doing a great deal of self-discovery and come to the understanding that if I could do anything, and be able to have my children with me, then I would work with animals.  The diagnosing and problem solving involved with veterinary medicine is very intriguing to me.  I have only a few prerequisites that I would need to take, along with taking the GRE's, so I have some time before I can apply to school. In the meantime, I am trying to work through the logistics of going to vet school, and being a single parent. 

I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone who went back to graduate school, particularly med/vet school, as a single parent? How difficult was scheduling care for your children during weekend or overnight on-call rotations?  I think I have the drive and energy to do both school and parenting, I am worried about having to move to my vet school's town, and not have a support system.  

Any information/advice/interesting anecdotes appreciated :) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I don't have any experience with this and it does sound like a challenge but I wanted you to have a response and to get your thread bumped so others can see it!!

Wishing you well!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM

I live in a vet school town and have lived next to vet students for 15+ years. None of them have been parents but they are gone. A lot. There are the classes, the study groups, the bet school obligations like open houses and school programs (at least at ours). Then there are the clinical hours, late nights doing emergency care hours, early morning doing spay/neuters and the weekend stuff. I think it probably can be done but if you are not living in an area with family support I think it would be really really hard. And there is paying for living expences. If it is just something you think would be good and not your passion I would think long and hard. If it would be your passion, go in with the knowledge that you will be essentially loosing a couple years of your kids lives but you will all be richer in the end.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM

I know this thread is a year old, but I thought I would give my advice for the people reading too.

I graduated vet school about 2 years ago. I waited to start our family until right before graduation because my husband lived in a different part of the state, so I would have basically been a single mom. The PP is right. I was gone A LOT. And when I wasn't gone I was studying. My advice if you really want to do this, move there before you apply, maybe work at a local clinic or at the vet school. That can give you time to make some connections and develop a network. You will need to find childcare for variable and unusual hours. You will miss a lot of kid time. It's not like undergrad where the classes were here and there. We were in class or lab from 8-5 every day then I spend most evenings studying. You'll likely need a part time job as well because your student loans will already be ridiculous without trying to get enough for child care.

I know it sounds like I'm being negative but vet school was a lot of work and a lot of time. I wanted to be honest about what you might be getting into.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Emily

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

User Tag List