Voluntarily downsized my job...any way to explain that on my resume? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I moved up the career ladder quickly and made some quick, strategic, job changes before landing my dream job just before becoming pregnant with dc1. When she was about 6 months old, I realized that my "dream job" wasn't what I wanted anymore. I found a part time job closer to home that has worked out great for me and my family.

Unfortunately, my current position is grant-funded and the funding stream will run out in about 6 months. I'm preparing to begin my job search again and am looking at my resume with a critical eye...and it doesn't look good. I recently joined Linkedin and people are looking at my job history. What they're seeing is an apparently lateral move, two years there, a big move up, then a giant move down after only one year. Yikes. It was all planned with the results hugely in my favor, but that's not what it looks like on paper.

Question: Can I give a reason for a job change on my resume? I can see where that could be a positive and a negative.

Anyone with similar experience? Or maybe someone in a hiring position with some advice about what you would want to see?

Thanks so much.

#2 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM

I often see resumes with reasons for leaving positions. I would put something like "grant funded temporary position" enough said...

As for leaving your position before that, perhaps further detail would help with the wording done why you left that position...

Good luck!!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#3 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chiromama. Yes, I was trying to figure out a way to explain why I left my position before my current one.

Can I just put something like, "Reason for Leaving: ________" as a bullet under my job title?

But what should it say? "Needed a job that let me prioritize my kids" just doesn't sound very professional...

Any ideas? 

#4 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Yes to the bullet point, as for the wording, hmmmm..... Maybe something like: resigned due to conflict of interest ??? That's a tough one

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#5 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM

I completely left my field and pursued another degree in an entirely different field. It's not the exact same situation but a similar dilemma. I stick to the rule never to mention my children when applying or interviewing. I had the most luck with wording along the lines of "After realizing that I wanted to change directions to choose the career path that would reflect my goals the most..." People seem to get that. It makes sense to all kinds of people, whether they have kids or not, whether they factor them into their career plans or not.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Thanks Chiromama. Yes, I was trying to figure out a way to explain why I left my position before my current one.

Can I just put something like, "Reason for Leaving: ________" as a bullet under my job title?

But what should it say? "Needed a job that let me prioritize my kids" just doesn't sound very professional...

Any ideas? 

I have seen people put a reason for leaving under every past job. Perhaps it could say, "To care for family member" or something--they wouldn't be able to ask if it was an ill relative or a child. Recently I was part of an interview with a medical doctor who just plain wrote that she left a rotation "to care for my son."  If you are still of child bearing age, the main thing a hiring manager will be interested in is "is she going to stick around" for this job, so if you address that issue without even explaining the past move, things might work out o.k.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page