Are there any REAL WAH jobs out there??? Please any insight is helpful! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mom's,

I am looking for a part time WAH job....10 hours would be awesome. I don't need to get rich quick i just want something that is legit!

Thanks!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#2 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM

I WAH.  I am a part time virtual assistant.    Now my boss is actually a former boss that owns his own company.  We've worked together at 2 different jobs.   Do you have any contacts from previous jobs?  

If not there are lots of virtual assistant sites out there.  I have seen them and registered on a few, get emails but I never registered my resume, so I have not got feedback.   Otherwise there are data entry from jobs that I remember my mom doing, I contacted one locally, but I don't type fast enough.  They want 100+ wpm. 
Do a google search for virtual assistant or at home data entry and maybe give a couple of those a try.  

Of course there is always babysitting from home. 

I tried direct sales also (Partylite candles).  While those kinds of jobs can pay off.  IMO it's costly and time consuming to get to the level of making anything.   I'm all about instant cash flow.  lol

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 11 Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am full-time WAH as a translator, but I have a degree in that and previous work experience - lots of people transition their previous jobs into WAH, at least the people I know who WAH (and some of them do work in local offices at least part of the time).

What skills do you already have? Can you play the piano (piano lessons)? Bake fancy b-day cakes? Knit? Childcare is a classic. The caveat here is that any business like this will take an entrepreneurial bent & marketing. Not saying you don't have that, just that it's a factor.

Maybe others have tips about companies that hire for WAH. Hope you find something!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 11 Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM

There are SO many WAH legit jobs out there.  I am an online prof while I stay home with my baby for the first year.  What is your field of interest?  I can post some links for job searches that might be in your range, if I have any.  Good luck, mama!

Professor mama dedicated to natural birth, breastfeeding, growing our food, cloth diapering, hunting, foraging, a Nourishing Traditions lifestyle, no television, no vaccinations, no circumcision

blogging.jpg at www.number2-7.blogspot.com

#5 of 11 Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I am full-time WAH as a translator, but I have a degree in that and previous work experience - lots of people transition their previous jobs into WAH, at least the people I know who WAH (and some of them do work in local offices at least part of the time).

What skills do you already have? Can you play the piano (piano lessons)? Bake fancy b-day cakes? Knit? Childcare is a classic. The caveat here is that any business like this will take an entrepreneurial bent & marketing. Not saying you don't have that, just that it's a factor.

Maybe others have tips about companies that hire for WAH. Hope you find something!

I have a BA in Spanish...would that be enough to get a translating job? 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#6 of 11 Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm a Lionbridge Internet Assessor.  Another company called Leapforce hires people to do the same job for the same client; they call their position Search Engine Evaluator.  The pay is decent, you work on your own schedule, and the work is pretty painless (but not too boring.)  It's been a really good deal for me.  Lionbridge wants you to work at least 10 and no more than 20 hours per week.  I've heard Leapforce has no restrictions on the amount of time you can work but may pay slightly less.

#7 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmothering View Post

There are SO many WAH legit jobs out there.  I am an online prof while I stay home with my baby for the first year.  What is your field of interest?  I can post some links for job searches that might be in your range, if I have any.  Good luck, mama!

Hi modestmothering....so funny that you posted a reponse, I have been reading your blog all morning! Excellent work and very intersting thumb.gif I am a nothern Vt girl, born and raised, now a NH transplant.

Anyway....my undergrad is in Early Childhood Studies and Child Welfare. I am a certified doula, and spend most of my free time (did I just say that) what little free time I have studying/reading about herbs and natural wellness, natural and AP parenting, and LOVE to cook, read, and run or walk outside with my baby boy. Thanks for your thoughts!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#8 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

I'm a Lionbridge Internet Assessor.  Another company called Leapforce hires people to do the same job for the same client; they call their position Search Engine Evaluator.  The pay is decent, you work on your own schedule, and the work is pretty painless (but not too boring.)  It's been a really good deal for me.  Lionbridge wants you to work at least 10 and no more than 20 hours per week.  I've heard Leapforce has no restrictions on the amount of time you can work but may pay slightly less.

THANK YOU! i will look into this!

#9 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

I have a BA in Spanish...would that be enough to get a translating job? 

It depends. I encourage you to look at these sites for more information, and you can PM me if you want:

http://www.proz.com/ - lots of articles under the Education/Knowledgebase section + training videos on various topics

http://www.atanet.org/ - American Translators Association

Books on starting out:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Succeed-Freelance-Translator-Second/dp/0578077566/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323304179&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Translators-Handbook-7th-Revised/dp/0884003353

#10 of 11 Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Freelancing, you can surely have a translator job there or more. 

Here are some of the best legit site,.

odesk.com

freelancer.com

guru.com

elance.com

and so many more...goodluck!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#11 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM

My two cents - I would not look for translation jobs on those sites, but your mileage may vary depending on whether you are looking for the occasional casual job or looking to make a career of it. I have done the latter, so I probably have a different perspective.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page