anyone work in health care field working three 12 hour shifts weekly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I work three 12's as they call it right now as a CNA at a local hosital. I work nights on top of that. :(  They are scattered throughout the week usually. It really messes up our week days and nights. I have an interview at a possible job working three 12's on weekends only. I am wondering if anyone else has done this or does this now? How do you like it?

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worked three 12 hour night shifts for most of the last 16 years. When the kids were little (before they were old enough for school), I worked Fri through Sun, 12 hour night shift. It worked great for me at the time. Everyone (mainly our families) were always harping about how bad it was for our relationship and social life. it wasn't. if anything, it made my husband sup secure in his parenting skills, and he has a great relationship with our girls. while we didn't do much socially for the years I worked the weekend, that wasnt our priority. Raising our babies was. You must find a way to sleep on Monday morning, though. A babysitting exchange for a few hours, pay a sitter for a couple of hours, something, anything. You'll be a better person (and Mama) for it.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Yup. I work as an RN at a hospital.  love working 3 12's.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I do, although I recently went PRN.  I prefer picking up Sun, Mon, Tues.  I love the schedule, but not jacking up my sleep schedule or death.  Or being insanely short on CNAs.  I've been off for 3 weeks to be on call for a birth as a doula, and need to go back next week.  I don't wanna!!

Emily wild.gif

Mommy to Toad - 6/9/10  and making soap http://www.etsy.com/shop/almostartisan

Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 AM

I've thought about doing doula work, do you know how that works with an RN license?

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

I'm not an RN but I've heard of RN becoming doulas, which they in many cases, I'd think be great! What kind of nurse are you?

Emily wild.gif

Mommy to Toad - 6/9/10  and making soap http://www.etsy.com/shop/almostartisan

Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Currently I work in a med-surg unit at our local hospital. I graduated a little over one year ago-and typically new grads work in general areas before moving onto more specialized nursing.  I'm (hopefully) transferring to Labor and Delivery this July. I did my internship in OB. My birth philosophy  is more holistic, and I'm a big supporter of home birth in the right circumstance :)

User Tag List