Would you hire a babysitter/nanny that smoked? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Assuming the smoking is during non-work hours. Why or why not?

#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not if I could help it. I wouldn't be able to be sure that it was during non-work hours. Also, I know that smokers use it as a coping mechanism, so how are they going to deal with the stresses of taking care of children?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 18 Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Assuming they smoke only during non-working hours and their clothes (and vehicle if they will be driving the children) don't smell like smoke, I wouldn't care and probably wouldn't even know.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 18 Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would have a couple of concerns. The person might be tempted to sneak a smoke while s/he was supposed to be looking after the children. It would mean that s/he wouldn't be supervising the children directly since s/he would have to hide behind a door or step outside. My second concern is general health. Smokers may have more trouble keeping up with active children and are more likely to get sick. A simple cold may last longer and symptoms may be more severe.

#5 of 18 Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM

No because of concerns over third hand smoke and also not entirely sure how it would sound if I asked them to change their clothes every time they came to babysit.

#6 of 18 Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Absolutely not. I would worry a lot about residual smoke on their clothing when they hugged the kids. And they would smell bad.  And frankly I would be concerned that we wouldn't mesh well in other areas if they didn't think it was a good idea to stop smoking. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM

Nope. Children imitate what they see in their world.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#8 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM

No. I'd be concerened about the second hand smoke.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#9 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you are talking about an occasional cigarette while out on the weekend, that wouldn't bother me (how would I even know about it?!) but if you mean a babysitter who smoked immediately before and after babysitting and routinely outside of babysitting, then no, I wouldn't if I could help it.  I wouldn't trust that they wouldn't occasionally break the rules and sneak a cig during nap time or something, or that their vehicle and clothes were smoke free. 

Though I am a hypocrite because both dp and my mom smoke and it drives me crraaaazzzyyy (even as a former smoker myself pre-kids), but I try to use it as a teaching tool about the perils of addiction and the effects of smoking..hopefully it will sink in! I wouldn't intentionally surround my kids with people who smoked though, particularly if I am paying them :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#10 of 18 Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Absolutely not. I think smoking is so disgusting and should be illegal for starters. I also think it should be illegal to smoke in a car if children are present. Second hand smoke or third-hand smoke if they are not smoking around the child is so awful for the children. No way. I hate smoking. 

#11 of 18 Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Nope.  I'd put up with it if it were my child's grandparents, but I wouldn't intentionally hire anyone who smokes.  

#12 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM

No way, never.  Ick.  

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#13 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 PM

I think it's optimistic to think that someone who is a regular smoker would be able to quit for the day to care for your children. Everyone I know who smokes gets very, very cranky at their personal intervals, usually more like 1-3 hours between smokes. Then again, I guess someone could be a very light smoker and keep it to off-work hours. I would definitely never hire someone who would smoke right before work or with my kids. 

I'm torn about the "shared values" argument though. I mean, I would never say a teacher or camp counselor should be fired for smoking, for example, especially if they do keep it as much to themselves as possible. I think that would be crossing a boundary as to how much of a person's personal life an employer can control. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#14 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM

no i would not. Its in their clothes, their car. Second hand smoke lingers and can still cause damage.

#15 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM

I agree with PP. I can't stand the smell of smoke in clothes etc, and I think it's harmful.
#16 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found out that a girl I had here smoked. She told me. I was real disappointed. But she changed her clothes before dealing with the baby so that helped. Wouldn't do it again.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#17 of 18 Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM

in my youger days when i was a smoker, I was never a professional babysitter, but I did occasionally watch children for friends and family. I didn't have problems with not smoking while I cared for the kids, so I think I'd probably trust someone who told they could refrain from smoking while working, especially if they were my ideal care provider in other ways.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#18 of 18 Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Absolutely not. All the toxic substances still linger even though no one is actively smoking around your child, therefore they are still being exposed to the same things as if someone were smoking right in front of them.  Also, I have a TON of smokers in my family, so please note that before I say what I do next. I think someone who smokes cannot adequately take care of themselves, so why would I want them taking care of my child? There's a reason they smoke after all, and if they want to stop and can't, well that means they have an addiction... which requires regular fixes which opens up the possibility to said nanny smoking in front of my child. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page