Need Ideas Regarding Job Transition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How might my work experience translate into a new field?

I have a decade of experience working for public and academic libraries and library vendors in collection development, reference, and circulation, and I have also worked in management for a book group. My only departure from libraries/book group was a brief period in human resources at management level. I have significant administrative experience, including ap/ar, payroll, and budgeting, and I also have some web development, social media, and marketing experience, but the majority of my experience is in technical services and public access paraprofessional library work. 

I know the logical step would be to get my MLIS, but I won't be going to graduate school for myriad reasons (mostly financial), and we're also not in a position to relocate. I just have a B.A. I've exhausted all library and publishing opportunities locally--they're either reducing their workforce, closing, or on a hiring freeze. Any ideas as to what field I could move into next?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Academic publishers, sales or any of the positions they might have, might be a good place to start.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM

I'm in library school right now (halfway done!) and finding that you can't even get your foot in the door as a librarian without the degree.  I am really lucky to live in a small town that overlooked that and AM working as a librarian currently, but if we ever relocate the most I'll be qualified to do, according to the education requirement, is work at the circulation desk.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

law firm librarian

document control for engineering/mining/oil & gas companies - your skillset would cross over well and at the higher levels, it can be very well paid. 

User Tag List