tips for leaving baby all day with babysitter he doesn't know - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in the general Parenting forum but just realized it probably belongs here instead. I hope it's okay to repost:

Hi Mamas,

My DS is 8 months old and I have been lucky to be able to stay home with him so far but soon I will go back to work (as a university professor).  I've found a daycare I like and have a plan to gradually get him adjusted there at the end of March. But in the meantime I have two out of town work trips (one a job interview) during which I will bring him with me but leave him with sitters for a full work day.  For both he will be with sitters he doesn't know at all and there's no time to get him warmed up to them.  Is there anything I can do to make this easier for him? I've tried leaving him with sitters for up to 2 hours a time and he gets very upset when he realizes I'm gone. I'm dreading this on his behalf.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373773/tips-for-leaving-baby-all-day-with-babysitter-he-doesnt-know

And I should add I'm a single mom.

#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 06:15 AM

You've probably already thought of this, but I would just make sure that the sitters know everything that there is to know about how to comfort your son. Complete with how to rock him, swaddle, etc. I work at a daycare and it's amazing how many parents don't think to tell us those things.

Is there anyway that you could come by mid day to feed him? That may help, and would probably also help him settle to sleep.

#3 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! For the first trip they are going to bring him to me every couple of hours to nurse, but for the second trip (the job interview) that won't work.  My older son (age 10) has offered to come with me for the job interview trip, which would help a lot as he's the only other person the baby is 100% comfortable with. So the sitter would be there to keep them safe but DS #1 would ensure DS#2's happiness. Now I just have to convince DS#1's dad (my ex) to let him come with and miss school for a couple of days.

#4 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 AM

No ideas. My little guy is only five months and turns into a Broadway Play if DH and I let someone else so much as touch him but I wish you luck. Sending warm thoughts your way.
#5 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good wishes! The first trip was early this week, and it went okay. Baby cried for about 5 minutes each time we parted and were reunited, but the rest of the time the sitter said he was pretty content.  Big brother's dad said he can go with us for the second trip so hopefully that will go okay too.  I'm feeling better about it, having seen that he survived the first trip and seems no worse for it.

#6 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Awesome! Good luck with round two!
#7 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Keep us posted! That is a hard age because they are just becoming aware of separation. I'm glad it went well!! Good luck with the second.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page