Nursing student fall 2013 - Questions regarding downsizing... - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Help me decide, comfort or convenience
1 bedroom 600 per month 6 66.67%
2 bedroom 813 per mont 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted here but I need your opinions....

I was recently accepted to a nursing program that begins in the fall.  I am looking to downsize and I'm having hard time choosing an apt.  I currently live in an 1000sf 2 bedroom apt with my 6 year old son and my puppy(she is 1 1/2).  I am going to through a divorce.  I work almost full time but I am not planning on working full time when I start nursing school. I am currently paying way too much for my apt and am looking to downsize due to affordability and school.  I will be living in a city with my only son, alone, with no family support for the 2 years I am in the program. 

I am looking at two apts, a one bedroom (620) or a 2 bedroom (813). 

1 bedroom

Pros

COST - currently would be approximately 600 cheaper than my housing expenses now. 

More money for groceries, books, tuition, nanny, etc

Gas money

A new computer

Work less hours and focus on school

Cons

Lack of space

Sharing a bedroom with 6 year old son/ although he sleeps in bed with me every night anyway. 

cramped

1 bathroom

Where would boyfriend stay (if and when I have a boyfriend)...I'm not getting any younger though so I am definitely on the prowl. 

2 bedroom

PROS

More space

My son will have his own room/area for toys

2 bathrooms

Corner unit

CONS

Cost - only about 400 cheaper than housing expenses.

Cost - concerned that I may have to hire a nanny and they are expensive! I have a lot of local support, friends etc but still challenging considering the requirements of nursing school.

I will be working and getting child support.  My car will likely be a 2013 civic with decent gas mileage as my school will be a good 30 mls from apt.  Cant move closer as this is about half way between school and work.  My son is already in elementary and I don't want to move him if possible. 

So, please help me by voting in my poll!!!!!  Any advice would be appreciated. 

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#2 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM

It's only two years and your son is used to room sharing. You may be "on the prowl" but I imagine wouldn't be looking to move in with someone fast, right? Even if you met mr right tomorrow, you'd spend months getting to know him and wouldn't have more than an occasional sleepover. We are a family of three with an extra bathroom in the basement that's rarely used, mostly in the sense of "I'm not well and can't wait for DH to finish with the toilet." If you had two teenagers and a live in SO, then I could say the second bathroom would be worth the expense. In the meantime, I'd pare down your possessions as much as possible and ask family or friends to store the rest for these two short years, or sell/donate whatever you're comfortable parting with. Your son is six so he doesn't need much in the way of specialized gear that eats up a lot of space. I'd totally go with the smaller place as long as its located conveniently and in a safe neighbourhood. You'll be working a lot, won't have much time to admire (or for that matter clean) your new place and the extra money would buy you more free time and security. This is my take on it, I hope it helps. FWIW, I'm also considering a career change to nursing but I'm currently expecting baby #2 so that's a few years away for me. DH and I did decide to stay in our old, downtown home instead of upgrading to a new house in the suburbs and the lower financial pressure has really set my mind at ease. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I suggest the one bedroom. My DD and i have a one bedroom and I make it work by having the living room as my bedroom. Unless your ex is already paying regular child support I suggest you don't count it as income. It can take a long time to get the support you are owed, it took three years for child support enforcement to get to my dd's case and for support to become regular.

School and work is hard when you have a child, nursing school can be very hard even without kids or work, so it may be a long time before you feel you have time to date again. I don't think any decision should be based on a desire to someday remarry. If you do move to a point in your relationship where you want a guy to move in he should have money to help spring for a larger living space.
Phoenix~Mama likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!!!  I am going to go with the one bedroom.  I went and put an application into a wonderful little apartment today.  Now I need to downsize dramatically!!!

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#5 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM

I would say the 1 bedroom for now. 2 years is enough time to get through school and see where you are then. Good luck!!!

#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM

I'd pick the 2 bedroom, unless you really cannot afford it. I think it would be really hard to share a bedroom, have toys everywhere, in addition to all the school work you are going to have a lying around. You will undoubtedly have books and computer all over the place writing papers. It is really hard to be in the middle of that. then have to pack it up or move it all, then get it all out again later, much easier to have a dedicated place to leave your stuff in progress.  I think it would be easier to have a desk in your bedroom, and your child in another, then you won't wake him when you are working late on your homework. Going to school and working part time will be  a  lot more work than working full time.

#7 of 7 Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM

I would suggest turning part of the living room into a separate room for one of you. Use a bookcase. That way, you each can have a place for your stuff ... Even if you co sleep at night.

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page