Working parents who don' t have a support system - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hello moms,

If you and dh both work and don't have any family to watch your dc where do you leave your children? I am a SAHM but did have help when dd was a baby and worked a couple to a few days a week when gps were able to watch her. I don't have that option now. I don't and probably will not be able to afford a full time nanny in the event I went back to full time work. Where do you leave your kids?

Thanks.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a sahm but he will have to go to daycare when I start back at work.

#3 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

I am a sahm but he will have to go to daycare when I start back at work.

Sorry, I forgot to say not daycare aged kids.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#4 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Oh how old?
#5 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If they are elementary school age then a daycare that caters to school age children like Just For Kids or a YMCA program works well. Teens can usually stay home alone after school, the Boys and Girls Club and YMCA have great teen program. Some community centers have good teen programs also. If there is a medical reason your children can't be home alone then you may qualify for some sort of respite care.
#6 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Older kids usually go to "camps" over the summer either cheaper options offered by city parks and rec programs or ymca. Or rotate through more expensive camps at a variety of schools. Or visit family out of state. Or stay home alone. Or stay with rotate through friends who have SAHM.

#7 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

If they are elementary school age then a daycare that caters to school age children like Just For Kids or a YMCA program works well. Teens can usually stay home alone after school, the Boys and Girls Club and YMCA have great teen program. Some community centers have good teen programs also. If there is a medical reason your children can't be home alone then you may qualify for some sort of respite care.

i didn't know there were daycares for elementary aged children. I know most schools have the after care program which is reasonable and convenient and for summer I have seen summer camps by the Y, i think. but it's those odd days like when they have a holiday for Martin Luther King day or winter break and spring breaks which I am actually wondering about.

#8 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Most after school programs run during most school days off. There are maybe six days year round they are closed.
#9 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Yup, the YMCA and various camps. The Y also has a program to cover those odd days, and I know other parents use drop-in child care which is more common around here than in other places. On a few occasions, the neighbors and I have covered for each other... if one of us wrangles the day off, we'll take the other's kid(s) for a playdate until they can come home.

ETA: I forgot that the county and town also has some summer camps and classes/courses that line up with school days off as well.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#10 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM

The Boys and Girls club here is also open all day on schools out days. We did a mixture. Now they are teens we mix camps with staying home for "down time"
#11 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Most daycare centers also do aftercare and summer camp with extended hours. They also take the kids on school holidays and spring break. Ours picks up from several elementary schools and takes kids up to age 12.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#12 of 18 Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Most after school programs run during most school days off. There are maybe six days year round they are closed.

I don't think an after school would make much sense if the whole day is off as the child needs care in the mornings as well or is there something I'm missing?

#13 of 18 Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Yup, the YMCA and various camps. The Y also has a program to cover those odd days, and I know other parents use drop-in child care which is more common around here than in other places. On a few occasions, the neighbors and I have covered for each other... if one of us wrangles the day off, we'll take the other's kid(s) for a playdate until they can come home.

ETA: I forgot that the county and town also has some summer camps and classes/courses that line up with school days off as well.

Thanks, I'll check with our Y which is at least 20 minutes far at best. I don't know what it is at rush hour.

#14 of 18 Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM

They run all day on school days off.
#15 of 18 Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Our city rec departments does vacation week camps and playground camp (or when you are over 11 "club") during the summer.

Even in our little city there are a couple drop in learning centers that do all day or half day activities on the days school is out.  

And like others have mentioned BC/GC and the Y.    

Most of the public schools here have an afterschool programs (often run by a local daycare) attached to them for that hour or three between school day end and work day end. And these same programs have a school vacation day program too, which may or may not cost more to cover the half dozen holidays my DS gets that I don't get off from work. 

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#16 of 18 Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They run all day on school days off.

Oh, Ok. Thanks for that info.

#17 of 18 Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our public schools here do not do after care (one private does), the kids are bussed to a parks and rec program or to the Boys and Girls Club. Those same programs are the ones that handle summer vacations and holidays off from school. There are days that they do not cover, certain holidays, and some random days here and there. In our town, it ends up being that who ever can take kids takes them. So Johnny's mom asks Susie's mom for an all day play date, etc... 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#18 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

When elementary schools have a day off, so do high schools.  A teenager could babysit in your home.  I used to do this when I was a teen, for children of my dad's co-workers, neighbors, or people we knew from church.  If you don't know any teens, ask around or hang up a flyer in/near a high school.

Another option might be to bring your child to work with you--depending on your job and your child.  I work in an office managing data for a research study.  My son likes to spend the occasional day at my office doing crafts with my scrap paper and hole puncher, playing iPad games, reading, etc.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page