Living in poverty as a student - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm back in school (been full time for about a year now) and am hoping to continue on for about 6 more years...aiming for a AuD. But, what is holding us back is living in poverty for all this time. DH works full time, and we get a little assistance ($125 in food stamps) and we struggle. We only have one car, neither of us have gotten new clothes in a year, all our stuff is cheap and broken. I don't know if I can make it for another 6 years like this....I want a better life for us, but DD will be 16 when I graduate, and will have missed out on so much because we are poor (lessons, sports, etc) 

What do you guys do?

#2 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM

That's us to a T.  We're finally coming to the end of seven years of this.  There were some full years and some lean years, and it got much, much, much harder the last two years.  I'm extremely hopeful that we have weathered through the worst of it, but it has taken an extremely strong relationship and a ton of support to get this far.  

Part of it is not focusing on all that you are missing and focusing on what you can afford and can do.  Prioritize things that are essential and scrimp on all the rest.  Your child will understand the value of education and following through on the things you start.  Try to find free programs, financial aid, support from others around you... it is possible, but it is also exhausting.  

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
It took me five years and moving back in with family to get through school and after all of that I have a job I could have had without going to college anyways. I went for education and haven't had success getting a teaching job anywhere except preschool and I have applied in tiny towns. My brother went to school for five weeks to get his cdl and makes more money than I ever will even if I do someday get a teaching job. I am hoping to get a cdl when my DD is old enough to move out.
#4 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

My BA and MA would be in Deaf Ed. which has a critical shortage of people, and my AuD would be a degree that is in high demand as well. I know that once I am done, the jobs will be there, it is just getting through it that I'm struggling with.

#5 of 9 Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Not sure if this an option for you or not with advent of so many online college programs, but have you thought of getting a job on campus? I qualify for work study, and have had a job in my schools library since I my second semester of school. It's been the perfect job, because I know that during my night shifts I'll be getting payed to do my home work. I have also worked there every summer since I was hired too, it's been a great job to have while working on my undergrad, and will look great on a resume after having a gab in employment due to staying at home for 2.5 years after my DD was born.

Good Luck!!

#6 of 9 Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM

Do you get any sort of financial aid or loans? I think the only way we are going to get by this year is that my husband is taking out student loans - he is going back to school full time, and I am only working part time at a job that doesn't pay very well. Debt does suck, but its a trade off if you want to be a little more comfortable.

And maybe you might be eligible for more state benefits depending on where you live  - assistance with electricity/heating, healthcare, etc? And I'm sure you've figured out a budget the best you can, but once when we were struggling we moved out of a really nice apartment into one that was several hundred dollars a month cheaper. Sure our new place didn't have a pool and I had shared laundry and other annoying things like that, but it was totally worth it to have a more affordable place so we could actually spend some money on fun things and necessities like clothing. 

If you look into your community calendar in a local paper or something I bet you can find lots of really cheap or free local activities. I think city programs will offer lessons for swimming and art and things like that for very affordably sometimes. And going to local festivals, hiking and walking, camping, and other sorts of activities might provide some entertainment for your family without being very expensive. 

#7 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM

I work full time, dh sah, we get $445 a month in foodstamps. Dh does medical studies every couple months for extra money to pay down debt. (he still has over 20k in student loans) I get the Pell grant and a Missouri grant so my education and supplies are 100% paid for with a refund. I do not need student loans nor will I ever get them because it just costs too much after the interest.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

It took me five years and moving back in with family to get through school and after all of that I have a job I could have had without going to college anyways. I went for education and haven't had success getting a teaching job anywhere except preschool and I have applied in tiny towns. My brother went to school for five weeks to get his cdl and makes more money than I ever will even if I do someday get a teaching job. I am hoping to get a cdl when my DD is old enough to move out.

curious where you are located and your degree? I am in a program to get my teaching cert. for secondary Language Arts. I have heard some places are hard to get a job for teaching but there are supposed teacher shortages in secondary ed in my state. Have you tried subbing? 

I am not considered at the poverty level but I am low income level I think. We do not qualify for any assistance due to the support from xdh, but I am still going into debt for college, my requirements will be done by the spring since i already have a BA so, so hoping a get a teaching job lined up for next fall. I am right now trying to cut back on the extras that you described, trying to lessen our bills so i can pay down the school tuition costs etc. Have you thought about applying for ymca scholarships for sports? I have not, but was thinking about trying that to see if ds could qualify. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#9 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Subbing because I am a poor, single-parent student who lives off my financial aid and a little assistance.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page