What do I want to be when I grow up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a stay at home mama, have been for about 7 years with about 4 more to go before my youngest is in school.  For all the parents who have found that career that they are really happy with how did you know?  Where do you start?  I had my first child when I was in college, I have an associates degree in business, but I don't know if that is where I want to continue.  So much has changed in my life and in me since I became a mom.  How do you start from here?

#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think what I might do if I were you, is go through the book What Color is Your Parachute, in the latest version. This book walks you through your aptitudes and what you are already good at, and helps you to just know by the end of the book what you want to do. It's done in a fun way, not a dry career counselor style. This book once transformed my life and helped me move toward my dream job.

Business is such a broad thing, and the career world keeps rapidly changing. It is really great that you have some time to think this through!

#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  This sounds really great.  I wonder if they will have it at my local library?  Gonna go check.  Thanks againlove.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Following! I'll be returning to working away from home in about 4-5 years also and career path has been on my mind.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 PM

I need to read What Color is Your Parachute. One thing, though, be careful of choosing a career based on what you are good at....just because you are good at something doesn't mean you will love it, I found this out the hard way, lol. 

ian'smommaya likes this.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Another good book is "Do What You Are".

I think the key to finding the right job and career path is knowing who you are and who you aren't. I feel introversion vs extroversion plays a big role in careers. I haven't been home as long as you but I graduated college 6 months pregnant and worked for a year as an HR manager and it was draining on me emotionally.

I'm really trying to savor this time as a sahm but it's really hard because I don't fully identify with the role I am playing. I love my kids, but they are not my identity and purpose in life. I would never choose to have a career as a cook, house keeper, child care worker, tutor etc, yet that's a big portion of my job duties right now. What is it that you like about being a sahm? Maybe identifying those areas will help. Read some books and learn more about who you are and who you aren't. 

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
PPK

I found it impossible to decide until I was 30 and it caused me so much frustration to 'not know'.  I had lots of great ideas, but could always find a reason that x,y, or z wouldn't work out.  I read about a technique (can't remember the book), but it said to list things you value.  For me it was something like : flexibility, worthwhile mission, possible self-employment, or running my own business.. freedom.. enjoying my occupation and the environment I'm in...

Once I made my list I think the next step was to look at your passions and hobbies and see how these can blend, and/or what skill set you need that would help further a particular goal/vision you have set for yourself.

Of all things, I deduced it all to accounting.   I never would've guessed in a million years that is what I would major in.  But, it gives options, and a fall-back plan.  And the business know-how to further non-profits and start-ups that I wish to be a part of and contribute to (and still be able to make a living somehow).  I had/have ideas to help people (I think anyways), but I needed to understand how business works to be able to be effective in what I want to do.

So for me most books did not work at all to really get to something I feel is going to fit all of my criteria for my vision of where I want to be in 5-10 years and what I want for my family.

I hope that helps somebody; Its changed my life for the better (still in school, but finally feel settled in myself).

#8 of 8 Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Interesting, I just started considering accounting for my Master's degree, and I never imagined that I would consider "math" as a degree and career. But having been in the 8-5 workforce, I hate everything about it. My goal is to wohm part time, and accounting seems like a field where that and/or telecommuting is possible. By the time I finish my degree, I'll have a few years experience running a non-profit program, including financials (small scale, but still, finances), so I think I'll be able to find a niche as I'll have both experience and education. 

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page