College students, should I get a tablet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm thinking of buying a tablet.  I don't have a smartphone, and it could be useful at school.  Do you use a tablet?  Would a little laptop be better?  What's a good price range?  What's a good model?

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#2 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I personally would not see where a tablet would be all that useful.  In school the majority of what I do is read documents, edit documents, write papers, etc.  A tablet would just not be useful. 

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM

We just got a tablet with bluetooth keyboard (iPad) for my partner and it has limited capability. We were disappointed, since most things are only do-able via app. So when he returns to school this winter, we will be getting a laptop and giving the iPad to our son.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#4 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Laptops are no good for school, IMO, but I'm thinking of getting the $200 Chromebook for my son who starts college next month.  If not that, than a new Windows laptop.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't write that many papers in my major, and I have a desktop at home.  I have seen tablets useful in study groups where someone can look up on the internet a question we are stuck on.  But I want to get more info on what they can or can't do. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#6 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM

Thought about it but for now I'm not going to. Most instructors don't allow them in class here and I personally prefer using a desk top.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 AM

I never used my iPad for actual school work, but I was able to buy some of my school books on Kindle. I liked using the tablet for that (and I could usually save about $10-15 per book) and then using my laptop/desktop for writing papers. The find feature was awesome to have and you could bookmark/highlight portions of the text that I would use later when writing. This was two years ago when I was finishing my masters, I am not sure if availablity is better now or for undergrad's. And you could always just get kindle for your desktop to buy books. But that was the only use for my ipad when I was in school...except for angry birds when I needed some sanity!!
#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM

thanks for the info Jenna Rose, my 3rd class has no textbooks and we will be using many free sites for our text materials that use kindle. I am going to get a tablet for that very reason, I planned on spending 100$ on a textbook anyway and a tablet for mostly reading will come in handy for reading and writing papers on the laptop. I am just trying to decide on which one? Are the 7" ones all that big? I will probably buy used off of ebay,but am worried about the 7' size being big enough? Thoughts? I suppose i should go to a store and look at one and decide...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page