Anyone feel excluded from other AP groups as a working mom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am parenting in the best way that I know how, that works for my family, which ends up being attachment parenting for the most part. However, I work full time. While I have found a bunch of like minded moms in my area, it seems like they are always making plans for play dates and such when I am at work. I don't blame them, I would be wanting to get together during the day as well, but I feel like my son and I are excluded. Even non AP meet ups, like story time at the library, happens while I am at work. I'm just venting and wondering if anyone feels the same. Sometimes I feel like I am the only AP working mom in the universe!

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 25 Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yep, I often feel the same way.

I've been laid off and so I am looking for a new job for our nanny. Our nanny can feed a baby who loathes bottles, nanny wears, can extoll the virtues of cloth diapering, happily had our daughter rear face until four, and can prepare purees or BLW, bounced our todder in a sling to sleep until after 2, was totally okay with our homebirth, and will harrass the stockboy to get the grass fed milk from the storage freezer. When I tried to post an recommendation saying she was available to our local AP group list (which allows all sorts of commercial ads) it was rejected because "the moms wouldn't be interested." I was LIVID.

Because, they aren't like me.

And then two days later I gave some milk away from my bm stash to this other woman (all her facebook pages where LLL this and AP this and hippie dippy whatever, you know, like me). She works part time and is done with her stash. And she said to me, on seeing like 1,000 oz in my freezer that "she didn't have time" to build a stash while she was on leave for four months.Yeah, because that milk just magically flew into the freezer by fairies while I played with newborn and two older kids. Giving milk away is HARD and because I knew I would totally get into a position of wanting to know/maybe judge how someone got there I decided I would only ever do first come, first served.

#3 of 25 Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just feel like even though the moms I know are supportive, they NEVER plan an outing together when I can go. It's always 11am on a Tuesday or something. I don't expect everyone to work around me, but I hate that it's not even remotely trying to consider working moms. I work in a school, I get out at 3pm. It wouldn't be that difficult to have an afternoon playgroup or something. I just don't like the slightly elitist undertone.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#4 of 25 Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM

I have play dates at my house on Saturday mornings.  That way I barely get dressed and get the company.

I use to go to a family centre all the time with great toys for my kids and a toy lending library.  On my first return to work they had a Tuesday 5:30-7:30 time but after my second child they cancelled this so now my kids can't go.  Don't working moms need support too? How am I suppose to make new mom friends?  Why can't I borrow the toys?

#5 of 25 Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Can you try hosting a playgroup? Maybe more people than you think would come.

#6 of 25 Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Yes! I just went back to work and started realizing what a rare breed the AP Working (Outside of Home) Mom is (and why - now that I'm pumping and dealing with daycare). I'm thinking about starting a Meetup group in my area, but was going to wait till I'd been back at work a little longer than 3-4 days to see if I'll really have the energy/interest :-)

pudlenka likes this.
#7 of 25 Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM

I feel this way too. I responded to a craigslist ad for ap mom meet ups but nothing has materialized. I look for free and low cost things to do with my baby and they all occur during the mon-fri work week. Its hard caring so much about your baby, finding even remotely ap child care, and staying sane!
#8 of 25 Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM

I felt the same way you guys did when my kids were younger. I had joined a moms group on my maternity leave and showed up for 1 or 2 play dates and then I was back at work. The group I am in now has weekday play dates but nothing on weekends. They do have moms night out events and I finally went to one and it was really nice.
Now that DS is older, we are friends with his other friends parents from daycare and we do weekend play dates with them or something on Friday evening. This all started when he was closer to 3 which is when he really started playing with the other kids. He's still really close with several of these friends from the 2-3 year old class.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#9 of 25 Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

It is hard! Unfortunately the mommy wars can feel alive and well. Sometimes there are moms who 'can' stay home with their babies because they have a partner that makes enough $ for the household.Others make incredible sacrifices to do so and so feel that anyone can make it work because they did. Both situations tend to cultivate a sense of judgment on others unfortunately, that's not always so healthy. For me it helped to just give it time and let things emerge. We had an evening LLL group which helped. I did go in late one morning a week most weeks so I could go to a playgroup. I tried not to talk about work too much because I didn't want to strengthen that divide. I guess after a while it bothered me less about trying to fit in either circle, because I just got more comfortable with my choices, but it does take time to get there. I do wish there were more evening activities for moms and kids (or dads).

#10 of 25 Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear this! I am doing AP parenting basically and really really am trying to go back to work (I am not working right now, but applying and looking). I see you are in NY, if you are in NYC or Nassau County, we can definitely hang out (I am on the border of North Queens and Nassau County and I drive). 

In any case, anyone that acts that way is not worthy to be your friend. That is what i discovered. Better save your time and if you really want to, you will find the mothers that are worth spending time with.

It can be really really exhausting to be in the wrong crowd anyway.

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#11 of 25 Old 08-10-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I enrolled my kids in paid evening activities at early ages (i.e., gymboree, dance, gymnastics, soccer). A lot of the kids in evenining activities have working parents. The kids get to play and learn something, and there are a lot of other parents there, some are a lot more "AP oriented" than I would have thought.
JoyFilled likes this.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#12 of 25 Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Yep it's a totally weird position.  I have working parent friends, mostly people I know professionally, and AP mom friends who I mostly only see online.  When my kids were babies it was weirder...we would talk babies sometimes at work and I was the crazy hippy.  Now I feel left out of the AP community because I don't live in "the bubble."  My kids go to great but non-hippy daycare and schools and most of my mom friends and neighbors are mainstream so my kids are exposed to a lot of things I'd rather they weren't, and I have to deal with teaching moderation and my kids thinking I'm strict.  On so many AP discussions I see things like "we don't do screen time" or "we don't have junk food in the house" that are just totally non-realistic for me.  The caregivers and school friends and neighbors that we have in our life are more than worth the damage done by a few cartoons and freezies but I definitely feel like I'm a bad hippy mom!

#13 of 25 Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Yeah, I haven't been able to connect with any of the more AP-oriented groups around me as they all meet during the work day. And I feel like I'm the weird one at daycare since I wait until 6 months to give my babies solids, I bring in BM until a year, I use carriers, etc. but I'm really not very "hippy" when it comes to a lot of other things, so I often feel like I can't find my people. And I'd love to hang out with some of the working moms at my children's daycare, but we are all so busy it just usually doesn't work out. We've actually had the best luck inviting friends over her either have older children or no children as it is easy for them to be away at home for hours while it is tougher for us, it works for us, but I wish I had a couple close parent friends with kids about the same age. I can reach out online and my brothers both have kids, but no one in town.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#14 of 25 Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Hi, mamas! I am a SAHM of 5 years- soon to be working 30 hrs/week- and might be able to offer something from the other side, as a possible excluder. By no means could I speak for others, but I know why weekday mornings are our prime time for getting together. Here are my excuses/reasons for rarely doing evening and weekend play dates:

1. My kids are daddy fiends! They have very little interest in playing with other kids if daddy is around. This makes evenings and weekends their intensive, uninterrupted daddy time. Obviously, this is not the perspective of single motherhood, or any family dynamic where mom is almost exclusively with kids.

2. Play dates are exhausting for us. It takes so much energy to keep the kids from killing each other- especially around dinner time, nap time, and bedtime. For us, we do naps in the mid-late afternoon, so it's very difficult to get up, dressed, and leave before rush hour traffic hits. If we do, it requires eating out or later than usual if dad can cook after work. We do all play dates just after breakfast. Occasionally we do get together with another family on weekends, but it's very infrequent. I will take kids to play with friends if DH has to do some major project on a weekend, but again rarely.

3. I kind of assume that most other families regard their evenings and weekends as we do, so it honestly just doesn't occur to me to initiate play dates during those times.

I am not defending anyone, and hopefully am not offending anyone with this. Just thought it may help you take it less personally.

I do have some thoughts on how you might get more social time with other AP moms and kids. Maybe you could join LLL or another AP support group that meets in your time frame geared toward mothers. Maybe leave kids out of it at first, until you find some parents you jive with. Once there are some good acquaintances, try for a play date with just one or two others, instead of many. I find smaller gatherings to be more rewarding and less chaotic in general. Find out where kids eat free on certain nights and go out for dinner. Offer to host a gathering via meetup.com or a local AP yahoo group or FB page. We have a local blog that finds and highlights free fun kid friendly events such as concerts and story times. Our local library has evening story times as well as daytime, and even Lego lab nights and movie nights. Maybe I'm just lucky about my location, but there are more events than we could ever squeeze into our weeks. Maybe you have something like that near you that has yet to be discovered? Obviously all these suggestions do not isolate AP folks, but many will likely be present, and you'll probably find friends that are like-minded.

Sorry it's so hard to get together. I totally understand and empathize. I find it hard that all of our friends are off at work and school while we are most easily available. It definitely requires big effort to nurture friendships outside of school and work. I wish you luck, and sincerely hope you find the right friends to hang out with! smile.gif
#15 of 25 Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM

One last though I had was to organize/host a clothing swap. Toys could be included too, and baby gear. If you're on any of the local AP groups online, you'll likely have an amazing turn out. It's much easier to get out of the house and out there socially if there's some material take-away. Moms will easily be able to chat while sorting through all the goodies, and it is less intimidating than going to meet a bunch of strangers over coffee or at a playground. If everyone can look out for each others' kids in a safe area, it'll open up a lot of opportunity to mingle while simultaneously decluttering and stocking up. All leftover goods can be donated to a women's shelter for added charitable benefit.
#16 of 25 Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Mrs. T, sorry you are feeling excluded! I felt that way a bit, too, when I went back to school after my son was born. I feel it less now that he is older & I've been working full-time for 2 years.

When I was in school, I was part of an excellent AP group & made a few mama friends that way. They mostly did meets-ups during the days but I think once a month we met at a playground on a weekend & both parents (mom & dad, both moms, etc.) were encouraged to attend.

Maybe you could suggest something similar? Something inclusive of both parents & not a big commitment?

But if your AP group wouldn't be open to something like that (& it sounds like they may not from the reaction to your nanny's job posting), I'd just try to forget it & forge your own path. Parenting cliques are so not worth your precious (& thinly stretched) mental energy.

Do you work in a big (or sort of big) city? If so you might be able to find AP working mamas who'd be up for meeting for lunch! I have a group of friends who does this & we stared as an off-shoot of a group of AP moms who hold most gatherings during the day. We also meet some evenings (without kids) & on weekends (with partners & kids). One mom just got fed up with feeling excluded from play dates & so she just started creating gatherings for working moms. I'm so grateful to her! And our lunches together are such an important part of the week for me (when I can make them, that is)!

Sometimes, though, working & being AP is simply isolating. I'm an introvert & social gatherings take a lot of effort for me, so I don't find that I get quality time with my child by running around to play dates or meetups on the weekends or evenings. I really protect those times & choose outings very carefully. The downside of that approach is the isolation. But connecting with moms just a couple times a month (or even every other month) is good enough to recharge my social needs. You may need more interaction & I probably did too when my son was younger - I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe take it slow & try to forge a few quality connections. As your child gets older, you may find that your needs will change. The feeling of exclusion from SAHM AP groups may lessen some. Sorry... Early morning rambling - I hope this makes sense.
lauren likes this.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#17 of 25 Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM

me!!   Especially when my girls were younger. I'd often try and go to playgroups on Saturdays and now I have a group of like minded working mom friends who get together on a monthly basis on a Saturday evening, we all bring the kids and have a potluck. It is wonderful.

#18 of 25 Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
OP, you might have to be the one to initiate evening or weekend get-togethers.

I WAH, and for my family evenings are filled with homework, sports practice, daddy time, and my work time, so I don't tend to schedule playgroup stuff during those hours, but if another mom suggests it I'm usually happy to rearrange my schedule a bit so that we can hang with her and her kids. You might find that other moms in your playgroup are happy to do that too!

But when I host or plan something, it's going to be during a time that works best for my family, which is weekday mornings/early afternoons. I don't do that to exclude anyone, it's just what works with my work schedule and the kids' sports/schoolwork/time-with-dad schedules.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#19 of 25 Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I've been laid off and so I am looking for a new job for our nanny. Our nanny can feed a baby who loathes bottles, nanny wears, can extoll the virtues of cloth diapering, happily had our daughter rear face until four, and can prepare purees or BLW, bounced our todder in a sling to sleep until after 2, was totally okay with our homebirth, and will harrass the stockboy to get the grass fed milk from the storage freezer. When I tried to post an recommendation saying she was available to our local AP group list (which allows all sorts of commercial ads) it was rejected because "the moms wouldn't be interested." I was LIVID.

How narrow minded of them. You can be sure that your post would have been accepted on the NYC AP list.  I  often see adds for nannies and baby sitters there.

And then two days later I gave some milk away from my bm stash to this other woman (all her facebook pages where LLL this and AP this and hippie dippy whatever, you know, like me). She works part time and is done with her stash. And she said to me, on seeing like 1,000 oz in my freezer that "she didn't have time" to build a stash while she was on leave for four months.Yeah, because that milk just magically flew into the freezer by fairies while I played with newborn and two older kids. Giving milk away is HARD and because I knew I would totally get into a position of wanting to know/maybe judge how someone got there I decided I would only ever do first come, first served.

Sorry you had to endure such an irritating remark.

#20 of 25 Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was a sahm and a wahm and homeschooled my kids.  Now I am divorced and working, and miss the homeschooling AP moms a lot.  My only solution is to create 'can't miss' events on weekends...not playdates per say.  The first one I did was at an art exhibit...we took the kids and had a mini class and drew pictures in the style of the artist.  It was fun! 

#21 of 25 Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 AM

I totally feel the same way.  I live in a really rural area and work so it is impossible to meet with other moms.  I do try to make a big effort to do any evening or weekend La Leche League or similar meetings so that I can meet some like minded moms.  I am pretty sure all of the other daycare parents think I am crazy because we send homemade food and I nurse my son at lunch.  The only good thing is that a couple of people have asked me about some of our homemade food, breastfeeding or cloth diapers so I have had a chance to show them a little.  Good job sticking to what you believe even when it is hard!

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#22 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the support and comments.

#23 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Loved reading this thread, glad to feel less alone in those feelings.

C/S DD ( 9 ), VBAC DD ( 6 ), & a surprise little guy on the way in August '14
#24 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM

I was a SAHM until my kids were 18 months old and 3 years old, when we divorced and I was forced to work for a living. I also felt that although I had online support, it was definatly hard to find "real life" AP support.

Even though I'm the sole provider in my family, I still occasionally meet SAHM's who have made comments that still imply working is somehow a "choice". I've heard, "that's why we stayed together" and "I know so-and-so who homeschooled even though she was a single mom", "we've made a lot of sacrifices to make this work" (as if I'm not sacrificing anything), etc. I feel like I'm not measuring up.

Some people really seem to believe you can do anything you put your mind to, so if I was just determined enough, I could find a way. I haven't met many people like that, but on the occasion that it does happen, its hurtful.

It doesn't help that my job is a nurse, which makes me appear very "mainstream" since I work with allopathic medical practices. I haven't had a problem fitting into the homebirthing community, since I'm very supportive of it. But some people are still turned off to anything I say because I don't work in a specialty that encourages homeopathic/natural medicine. Its like I'm not "hippie" enough.

Yet at work I'm seen as the other way around. I start talking about midwifery or making informed vaccine choices and people say "oh, you're one of *those* people!" But I don't feel like one of "those" people since "those" people often don't accept me!

I think us AP working moms are a class of our own.
lauren, One_Girl and mamaleila like this.
#25 of 25 Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Where are you located? I need someone like your nanny!!!

Tags
Working , Work And Family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page