Planning to open a baby-sling shop and bringing along my 1year old baby along while working is it manageable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am a baby wearing consultant and i am planning to open a shop with eco-friendly baby stuff such as cloth diapers but mostly i want to sell slings. I have at the time speaking an 8 month baby girl who i want to bring along with me at the shop. My idea is to make the shop as baby-friendly as possible, with toys for babys and toddlers around, changing and breastfeeding area, and generally things like that. I am just being a little nervous if it will be easy to care for her and take care of my customers too.Any ideas or tips from moms who actually did something similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hello there, welcome to Mothering! I haven't done what you are planning to do, but it sounds like a fabulous idea!  One of my biggest struggles when trying to talk to new moms about slings is that there is no easy way to try different types and/or have someone experienced "show" you how to use them, and model the value of them. The benefit of doing this with your baby is that you will be able to model how you can 'get stuff done' with a baby around. I would think that the clientele coming in would be more patient if you weren't in a position to jump up when they came in the door, and they'd probably all enjoy seeing your baby.

So again, I havent' done something similar, but I would have loved a shop like that when my children were little!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply, it really gives me courage to continue with my plans

Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Hi! I agree that sounds like a great idea! The only concern would be if you ended up with a collicky baby. Unfortunately, this is impossible to know until your baby has arrived (I assume you are pregnant)? I remember countless times when my first would NOT STOP CRYING, no matter what I did. He was one of those babies where nothing, nothing, nothing would settle him! So, if that happened to you, you might have to figure out a back-up plan for help. But, if you get a quiet, easy baby, I could see the baby being an asset to the position, drawing in more people, etc.

Thinking more long-term, what will you do after a year? Will you hire help with the baby, or with the store? At some point, toddler will need constant attention, and eventually, when verbal, constant interaction!

Another thing that might be great for you is to have a strong online presence and do a lot of shipping plus customer assistance online. Then you wouldn't have to be working as many hours in the actual shop.

Good luck! Sounds like great fun!!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM

There is a family in my community that did this. They are now expecting another child (their third, I think) and decided to scale back the business to do appointment-only, but it seemed to work pretty well for them for a while. Some of the employees (maybe all of them, idk) would bring their kids as well. The staffer on duty would not always have a kid in tow, but they would sometimes. 

That said, you didn't always get the best service at this place because the mom running the register might be focusing on her kid or on the phone with the sitter or whatever. So as a customer I found it could be a little irritating sometimes, though it did also have the advantages you describe. 

Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is a store like that near me.  I have seen employees there babywearing while working.  And I really appreciated it when I had to nurse my son once when he was little and I was shopping there, and they offered me the "nursing chair."

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

User Tag List