Are we crazy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DH and I have been tossing the TTC idea around for a while, but honestly, we're a little nervous. We have a 15 month old DD who is very active and keeps us VERY busy :-) We both work full-time outside of the home (I'm a special education teacher with a demanding schedule and DH works in the cell phone industry with shift hours...I am also in school right now but will be finished in July). We are blessed that my in-laws are able to babysit DD while we work so we don't have any child care costs. We would LOVE to for DD to have a sibling close in age mainly because we did not. I am an only child and DH's only brother is 8 years older than him so they're not really close. As we grow older, we are realizing the importance of sibling relationships and and how vital they are. I honestly feel like the best gift I can give my children is each other.

But..... How on earth will we manage with 2 (nearly) under 2?? If we conceived this month DD would be 25 months old. Right now we have things worked out pretty well, as DH takes care of the morning routine (waking her up, eating breakfast, getting dressed, hair combed, drop off at in-laws...) and I do the evening routine (pick-up from in-laws, dinner for DD, afternoon activities, bath, bed). We both do laundry, cook and housework... So that one person isn't tired out. Of course we practice gentle and attachment parenting so DD is still nursing, bed shares and we pretty much follow her leads with guidance, she has 100% of our attention and she is accustomed to this.

But how on earth would we divide our time with a second baby? I want nothing more than to give my children all of my time and attention but sometimes you cant. I am rambling, sorry, if I am. DD is laying beside me fast asleep and DH is watching a football game so its a rare moment I have to have "mommy think" time and my mind is all over.

Just needing wisdom from other mommies who have BTDT...working full-time with 2 young babies close in age. Please tell me it can be done :-)

Eri superhero.gif mom to our beautiful rainbow1284.gif DD (born 5/2012) and expecting our newest blessing stork-girl.gif (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! partners.gif We're a proud Christian family!

heartbeat.gif " I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own." heartbeat.gif
#2 of 4 Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Eri! Well, mine weren't quite that close apart, but I guess I'd say, you just do it! I think we often cannot imagine how we will handle something before it occurs (something that is either negative or positive) and then when it comes along, we just find a way, and it works out. New patterns will emerge as you accommodate a new baby/sibling, and you'll find yourselves.....managing!!

P.S. You will be tired, but you probably knew that!

#3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Yup, you will figure out how to do it. Will your 2 children have the same amount of attention as 1, nope, but they will have each other and it isn't all bad for children to learn to wait a bit (newborns don't get it obviously, but older children). I have a 3.75 year old and two 4.5 month old twins and phew it is hard and tiring right now, but I can already see that they are going to have a blast playing together. DD1 already loves bringing the babies toys, singing to them, showing off for them, etc. and they love watching each other and big sis. I think it will be rough at first and easier as the baby gets older. But yeah, right now I have almost no free time and DH has a little more, but not much, but it will get better.

And don't forget your oldest will be much older than now when your future child is born. It will make a big difference!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM

Mine are spaced 4.5 years apart, but I would wait only because you say you are nursing. That was my reason to wait before I got pregnant with dd.

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page