Live where you work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've always thought it would be great to be able to live at the same place you work at, and would appreciate if anyone can suggest ideas for this to be a possibility? 

For example I thought of living in an apartment right above your place of work, or living right next door to it. Any ideas? Anyone already doing this?

rainbow1284.gifpos.gifsticky.gif yikes.gif 
#2 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm thinking of moving to a hood that's opening up a new middle school in hopes of getting hired there. It's hard to coordinate those things though, especially if you are buying rather than renting, and when you have to consider 2 people's employment. You're not gonna want to move every 3-5 yrs, but that may be how often employment changes in a fluid economy.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 12:25 PM

For a while, I lived just a few miles from my work. It was very convenient, but there was also more of an expectation that I would make it in in inclement weather or work after hours because I lived so close. I resented that. Now I live about 20 minutes away to help my husband have a shorter commute. Even though it's not as environmentally sound, I actually really like having a division between my home and my work. I would never live above or right near my work, though. I feel pretty strongly about work/life boundaries, and when I'm at home, I don't want to think about work at all. But really, it's a personal thing, and what's right for me may not be right for you.

#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Two of my co-workers live within two blocks of the office.  It is really convenient for them!  One of them had a sick cat recently and was able to check on her every lunch break.  The other one has a hard time getting up early, but he can literally roll out of bed and into the shower and be at work 15 minutes later.

I live 3 miles away, close to the public transit route, and sometimes I'll walk.  It's pretty convenient most of the time.  (Today, when I was weak with pregnancy nausea and didn't want to stand up in a bus, yet they were all very crowded for a while, it took me 45 minutes to get to work.)  I have other co-workers who commute an hour or more each way, and I can't imagine putting up with that!

The town where I grew up has an interesting little development built around 1980 that is a full block of closely placed 2-story buildings, with parking around the outer edges.  In the buildings are a variety of retail, office, and apartment spaces.  There was a lot of skepticism at first, but it's been pretty fully rented all along and still has a variety of stuff in it, and there actually are a few people who both live and work there.  It's at the edge of the major strip-mall area, so it's one of the few places in town where you might get along without a car.  I keep expecting more blocks of this development to be built adjacent to the first one, but oddly enough it's still open prairie there--enough for 2 or 3 more blocks--for some reason.

As a working parent, of course, you'd want your childcare to be also near your home and work.  My son has always been in childcare or school within 1/2 mile of either home or my office.  His dad works from home now--which of course is another way to live where you work, if you can stand it.  Personally, I like having a separate workplace and leaving my work there.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM

I'm not right down the street, but I'm 5-10 minutes away by car which is nice as I can go home during lunch or for plumbers, etc. if needed. I'd love to be able to walk to work, but then I'd have to have a walkable daycare or in home daycare to make that really work. I personally would not want to live right above or in the same building as work, that's too close for me, not enough separation! And I do get calls occasionally to see if I can come into work early or whatever after a power outage to get our servers up since I'm close. It's not a requirement and I don't mind since it is rare. We are actually going to be moving next year though so I will probably be 20-30 minutes away, but at least DH will be close. I hope he knows he's going to have to cover plumber, etc. visits to the house when that happens smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page