Should I get my RN to BSN?? Don't really want to, but being "strongly encouraged" to. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm nearly 40. My RN degree was a second degree after being a SAHM for nearly 10 years, and having a 4-year degree and career before that. I slogged my way through nursing school and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Trying to balance family and school. But I did it!! And I've been working as an RN for 2+ years as a bedside nurse in a peds hospital. I can't see myself every doing anything bigger than bedside nursing. No management or anything else. I am also working part-time which works well for my family.

So . . . the hospital is strongly encouraging the RN's to go back to school and get a BSN. They are paying for part of it with tuition reimbursement. There are on-line programs available so it would work on my schedule. The trend is now to get your BSN and although they won't fire me for not getting it, I may not be hirable elsewhere. Even with experience. 

But I don't want to go back to school. I'm tired. My oldest will be going to college in 6 years if not sooner. I want to be a mom and a normal person, not a student. It's stressful and expensive. The on-line classes are mostly administration type classes, research, and paper-writing. Even if I take one at a time, it's still time away from my family and life.

Do any RN's or related professionals have feedback? I would appreciate it.help.gif

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hearing your reluctance, it sounds like you'd be resentful if you moved forward with it. It would be hard to take that on when you didn't see a personal incentive. (I am not a nurse).

That said, I think I'd inquire further if there are important reasons down the road why it would be good to at least demonstrate a willingness to get the extra degree, while there is tuition reimbursement. I am thinking of things like different parts of health care reform rolling out on different timelines. Is is possible that by 2017 all nurses in hospitals will have to have a BSN for reimbursement or something like that? 

You might also check in with your national association that oversees the nursing career. 

I;m sure some nurses will be a long shortly to help answer your question!!

#3 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I am resentful. Not of the workplace but I would be resentful of time spent away from my family and stress.

Magnet hospitals, which my hospital hopes to be in 2016, require that 80% of nurses have their BSN. Also most bigger hospitals are trending in that direction, so if I wanted to be hired somewhere else I would not have an easy time of it. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I wondered if it was something like that. In order to stay competitive, what do you think the bare minimum would be that you'd have to do to show that you were a team player but not full time? If you took one course per year, would that maybe satisfy them? Perhaps online or over the summer?

It's a tough position to be in. I'm sure you are great at your job and it's a bummer that more requirements are being put on you.

#5 of 15 Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM

I went through the same dilemma you’re going through USAmma.  I work full time, mother to two daughters, and at age 32 went back to school part time.

I just recently finished my AA, which took me four years to do.  I debated continuing and getting a bachelors, but like you, I’m tired, I want to spend time with my girls before they go off to college.  I decided not to continue with school, but devote the time I have right now with my girls.  I feel like I’ve sacrificed enough time away from them and now it’s time to enjoy being a mom for a change.

In your situation here’s how I see it.

You already have a bachelor’s degree.  The hospital is only paying for PART of your tuition.  You won’t get fired for not getting a BSN.  You want to spend the remaining time your kids are home with them, being a mom and living a normal life.  See which way I'm going with this?

I would NOT be worried that you won’t be hirable elsewhere.  You have a bachelor’s degree.  Even if you don’t get a job in healthcare you have an advantage of getting hired over someone with less education. 

And there are so many job opportunities for people with RN degrees that don’t necessarily require a BSN.  I work in the IT department at a hospital, and my department hires RNs and teaches them how to create and develop electronic medical record programs.  Being in healthcare have you heard of McKesson and Oacis?  We hire RNs, who have no background whatsoever in IT and teach them the IT skills they need, and they use their background in healthcare to help develop and customize McKesson's products for our clinical staff. We also need RNs to teach the rest of the staff how to use these electronical medical records programs like Oacis. 

If I were you, and this is just my suggestion, I’d continue in your current job, and enjoy life being a mom and a “normal” person.  If you want to go back to school when your youngest goes off to college, you still could do it then.

Divorced mother of two DD15 and DD7
#6 of 15 Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

While it's true that hospitals are heading towards the BSN, the pp makes a great point about how you can get other positions with your RN. The BSN is great to have, but in your shoes, which I can totally relate to, as I "should" get a Master's to stay competitive in my field, its a lot of time and energy that I don't have or want to spend on school. I want to spend it at home. I wouldn't do it now. No harm in waiting, IMO

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#7 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber3902 View Post

And there are so many job opportunities for people with RN degrees that don’t necessarily require a BSN.  I work in the IT department at a hospital, and my department hires RNs and teaches them how to create and develop electronic medical record programs.  Being in healthcare have you heard of McKesson and Oacis?  We hire RNs, who have no background whatsoever in IT and teach them the IT skills they need, and they use their background in healthcare to help develop and customize McKesson's products for our clinical staff. We also need RNs to teach the rest of the staff how to use these electronical medical records programs like Oacis. 

That is fantastic! I did not know about that. My job before I had kids was a technical writer for a semiconductor company. Then SAHM, then RN. I will have to look into this more, especially as I feel that bedside nursing may not work for me anymore. I am not old but of course bedside nursing does take a toll on your body after awhile. 

amber3902 likes this.

#8 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

You all are wonderful! Thank you so much for helping me to see this. I know what my heart says, but sometimes outside pressure makes me obligated to consider things I would not have otherwise.

#9 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Well I know this is a rather old post, but I just saw it. I was an ADN and then went back to school for my BS. I had been working for 5yrs. Then second time thru school was a PIECE OF CAKE! I didn't have to study as hard as before because I already knew a lot of stuff. Also, big stress off your shoulders as there is no state board to worry about at the end of it all, you've already passed it! Where I am it was another 4 semesters of class once a week. And the program now is all online, whereas when I went thru we had to physically sit in class. A lot of homework can get done after bedtime.
And as the previous poster suggested, there may be some kind of mandate about BSNs in regards to the ACA, or your facility's goals, etc.
#10 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM

I understand your dilemma. I am an RN, who is 36 years old. I am also a second career RN who balanced nursing school while having a son and working full time. I have a Bachelors in another field and only an Associates in Nursing. I only work per diem in an ER. There is so much pressure as so many hospitals are following the 80/20 rule. 80% BSN by 2020 or sooner. Because I am per diem, I get no tuition help and I am at Temple in Philadelphia. Because of the union, we are not required, just asked to get our BSN. I decided to take the financial hit and do it. Here is my reason: even though I do not want upper level management or anything, I am still just an Associate Nurse. If I ever chose to leave where I am and go elsewhere, I will need that BSN to get hired. Some hospitals won't look at your resume if your not a BSN. 

Because you have another degree like I do and your hospital is paying some of it, go for it. You will not need as many credits. Due to my other Bachelor degree, I only needed 45 credits for my BSN, which shed some realistic light on how achievable it is. I am in a live class program, but the online programs are a bit easier and you can spread out your classes.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM if I can answer any questions 

#11 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again for your advice. I am still on the fence about this but am investigating a couple of on-line programs while I make up my mind. I still check this thread a lot, and appreciate all the input and sharing of experiences. :-) ANd love hearing from other moms who also made nursing a second career!

#12 of 15 Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM

I'm not a nurse, but I'd think about it pretty carefully.  While it might seem like "but I'm 40 already!", in reality that means you probably have about 25 years left in the working world, and it sounds like having a BSN would give you more career options.

Dh is a high school science teacher.  It was a second career for him and he felt old when he got into it.  Science is sort of weird in that it's a different certification for earth science, chemistry, bio, and physics.  He only got certified for one of those, because he felt like he was too old to bother (at 40) wasting time and money going for more certifications.  He really regrets it now as he feels trapped.

#13 of 15 Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post

I'm not a nurse, but I'd think about it pretty carefully.  While it might seem like "but I'm 40 already!", in reality that means you probably have about 25 years left in the working world, and it sounds like having a BSN would give you more career options.

Dh is a high school science teacher.  It was a second career for him and he felt old when he got into it.  Science is sort of weird in that it's a different certification for earth science, chemistry, bio, and physics.  He only got certified for one of those, because he felt like he was too old to bother (at 40) wasting time and money going for more certifications.  He really regrets it now as he feels trapped.

Off on a tangent, sorry OP, but isn't that weird about getting certified to teach science. I'm in the midst of that career change and have been taking my exams. I'm not far from 40 myself. But it seems odd that other subject areas don't have to certify for every single class they want to teach, but science does. It also seems weird to me that people think of the subjects as discreet entities. When, really, I used plenty or Chemistry and Physics even when I worked in a Biology based lab setting. It's also insanely expensive with each subject area test costing $110-$140 (I won't even go into also needing the PLT and the PRAXIS 1, and in my case also the GRE, I'll be close to $1k in tests alone at the end). I'm planning to get certified to teach Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science, and Middle School Science. But I wish I didn't have to take so many tests to do so.  Why doesn't your husband just sit the PRAXIS exam for other subject areas? Yeah he'd have to study a bit, but I'm sure he'd add another subject easily. He probably already knows a good bit in order to teach what he already does. Because there really is overlap in the sciences. He could just do one test a year and soon he'd be certified in several subjects.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#14 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 AM

It isn't just a matter of passing tests, there are credit requirements in my state. He would have to take substantial amounts of additional coursework for each discipline.
#15 of 15 Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to give an update. I decided that I'm going to enroll in an online program that allows me to take one class at a time. Each class is 5 weeks long but I can take breaks between the classes if I want to. My workplace compensates generously for education related to work, so I can probably get the classes paid for. I really enjoyed certain aspects of school a lot. I also find myself staying up for half the night on my nights off, and this would be a good way to use that time. So I guess I'll go for it but it may take years-- no pressure. 

sparklefairy likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page