Interested to hear from Mamas who took an extended career break to care for your kids then returned to paid work.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey Mamas

I've been the full time carer for the last 3 years for my son.  I'm currently p/g with #2 so it will be at least 4-5 years before I return to paid work.

I'd love to hear from other Mamas who took a lengthy career break to care for your kids and then returned to paid work.

- What was your experience?

- What would you suggest to someone like myself in this situation?

- What challenges did you encounter when you were returning to paid work and how did you tackle these?

My professional background is as a Project Manager/Process Improvement, but I suffered from extreme burnout and major disillusionment.  My goal is to re-train and eventually transition into a career as a Relocation Consultant. 

My plan is to gain my certification in this field.  Also I plan to join a professional group for this field so that I can build my network in this industry and also, I'm thinking I could get involved in an industry group in order to build my skills, and also, when bubs #2 is old enough, look for part time/short term assignments in this field.

Thanks for your feedback!

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#2 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi there-- Taking a break was not an option for me, so I don't have any suggestions, but it sounds like you have a great plan in  place!! ANd you seem to know what you want. 

I'm sure others in similar situations will be along soon to chime in!

Redmom likes this.

#3 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My plan is to gain my certification in this field.  Also I plan to join a professional group for this field so that I can build my network in this industry and also, I'm thinking I could get involved in an industry group in order to build my skills, and also, when bubs #2 is old enough, look for part time/short term assignments in this field.

Thanks for your feedback!

when do you plan to do the bolded parts? how long is the certification valid for? how many years before you need to recertify IF u need to recertify.

without a job i am not sure how you can network. 

all the plans you have made sounds like best to do when you are getting ready to enter the work field. not while you are being a SAHM. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 10 Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Taking the time off to be a SAHM was the most wonderful thing ever. Most of the time-- ha ha! Can also be a lot of hard work. :-)

I was a technical writer before I had my first baby. By the time I was ready to think about working again, my skills were so out of date and so was my resume. I ended up going back to school. I took one class at a time at night school through my community college. I started this when my youngest was nearly 3. Dh watched the kids at night when I was in class. Then I got into nursing school and it was a whirlwind fast-track program. I started nursing school when my youngest was entering Kindergarten, so perfect timing. I have now been a nurse for 2+ years. I work part-time because full-time was just too much. I am still a SAHM at heart.

One thing that I put on my resume was my time spent as a SAHM. The managers who hired me were very interested in this and said it absolutely counted as experience! I also kept up with other resume-worthy things such as starting a small support group related to my daughter's medical condition, and I published a few odd articles in small journals and magazines. Two of them were about cloth diapering. :-) So I stayed a little bit active in the areas where I had passions, and this kept me from having a huge gap on the resume where a lot of time had passed with nothing there. You could possibly volunteer somewhere with your job related skills very part time, for example.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 10 Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work for myself as a technical writer in software. I have an agent who looks for contracts from 10 - 20 hours of work a week for me. I found out about agents from a Society for Technical Writers evening I went to, there were several there. There are also agencies that do it; it's all contract work, which is ideal for a mom.

I worked when my first was 2.5 to 4, when my second was born, to avoid too long a break. I am looking at going back in the spring when my second is 2. Again to keep my resume fresh: ten hours a week isn't a lot of money. But it is more per hour than other jobs for the time away from my family.

Project managers are always in demand in software. It's a role I'm grateful for, tough work! Can you do it in an arena that interests you, like nonprofits?

For me, going back means about six months of lead time getting childcare rolling, getting my agent searching, and mentally adjusting to the idea. Maybe feel out when you can 'see' your work beginning and six months before start your plan!

Best of luck in your new phase. Hope that knot in your stomach dissolves soon!
#6 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

Hi there-- Taking a break was not an option for me, so I don't have any suggestions, but it sounds like you have a great plan in  place!! ANd you seem to know what you want. 

I'm sure others in similar situations will be along soon to chime in!

Thanks for your encouragement!

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#7 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

Taking the time off to be a SAHM was the most wonderful thing ever. Most of the time-- ha ha! Can also be a lot of hard work. :-)

I was a technical writer before I had my first baby. By the time I was ready to think about working again, my skills were so out of date and so was my resume. I ended up going back to school. I took one class at a time at night school through my community college. I started this when my youngest was nearly 3. Dh watched the kids at night when I was in class. Then I got into nursing school and it was a whirlwind fast-track program. I started nursing school when my youngest was entering Kindergarten, so perfect timing. I have now been a nurse for 2+ years. I work part-time because full-time was just too much. I am still a SAHM at heart.

One thing that I put on my resume was my time spent as a SAHM. The managers who hired me were very interested in this and said it absolutely counted as experience! I also kept up with other resume-worthy things such as starting a small support group related to my daughter's medical condition, and I published a few odd articles in small journals and magazines. Two of them were about cloth diapering. :-) So I stayed a little bit active in the areas where I had passions, and this kept me from having a huge gap on the resume where a lot of time had passed with nothing there. You could possibly volunteer somewhere with your job related skills very part time, for example.

Thanks for your feedback, really great to hear your experiences.

Wow that's intersting about the hiring managers being positive towards your experience as a SAHM.  Truthfully I feel that wrangling a toddler was no different to wrangling some of the project team members I used to work with....the tantrums, the refusal to do anything and the short attention spans.

#8 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

when do you plan to do the bolded parts?

- Same way I juggle every other task/activity that is not child related. See below for examples of how other  Mamas have done this.

how long is the certification valid for? how many years before you need to recertify IF u need to recertify.

- Indefinite. No need to recertify.

without a job i am not sure how you can network. 

- It's entirely possible - joining professional groups, seminars, conferences.  See below for examples for how other Mamas have done this.

all the plans you have made sounds like best to do when you are getting ready to enter the work field. not while you are being a SAHM. 

- These plans will take some lead time.  The certification course is only offered at specific times so I need to plan ahead for that.  See below for examples of how other Mamas have utilised their time as SAHMs to their professional advantage.

I appreciate your feedback, but to be honest I find it comes from a negative/ "can't do" place.  Thanks anyway!

#9 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCapucine View Post

I work for myself as a technical writer in software. I have an agent who looks for contracts from 10 - 20 hours of work a week for me. I found out about agents from a Society for Technical Writers evening I went to, there were several there. There are also agencies that do it; it's all contract work, which is ideal for a mom.

I worked when my first was 2.5 to 4, when my second was born, to avoid too long a break. I am looking at going back in the spring when my second is 2. Again to keep my resume fresh: ten hours a week isn't a lot of money. But it is more per hour than other jobs for the time away from my family.

Project managers are always in demand in software. It's a role I'm grateful for, tough work! Can you do it in an arena that interests you, like nonprofits?

For me, going back means about six months of lead time getting childcare rolling, getting my agent searching, and mentally adjusting to the idea. Maybe feel out when you can 'see' your work beginning and six months before start your plan!

Best of luck in your new phase. Hope that knot in your stomach dissolves soon!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's very enlightening to read how you've made this work for you.

Sadly - I just found out I had a missed miscarriage, so the future feels very uncertain at this point.

#10 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Redmom, I am so sorry to hear that. :Hug

Please take care of yourself in whatever way is fitting for you. 

Your plans will continue to evolve in a way that is right for you. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page