Feminism, Childcare workers, employment terms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After posting an ad and interviewing people for a 10 hrs a week mother's helper position, we are now on our third month with a woman I am truly beginning to see as family. We offered a slightly low wage for the service for our area because it is all we can afford at the time, and I honestly expected only someone younger or with less experience to take it, and then it would have been more fair. However, this woman is not only an experienced mother of three but just overall a wonderful human being.

I wish I could give her a huge raise, but I can't, and it's making my feminist alarm bells ring. She simply deserves more for her labor, and what her presence in my life does for our family. 

I have no reason to believe she is unhappy, and she hasn't asked for more money. But I just feel a need to do more. 

Any ideas? I already give her lots of flexibility around her kids school schedule, etc. She brings her toddler along and she is very welcome here. I don't ask her to do anything beyond dishes and laundry around the house. 

I do think we will be giving her at least a small raise soon. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How wonderful for you and your family! EAch of our child care providers has become a treasured gift to us and I, like you, struggle to show them they are appreciated.

What about a gift card along with a handwritten card to express your gratefulness? Those intermittent expressions of appreciation go a long way. Give her a raise if you can, but also give her random 'bonuses' when it is in your budget to do so.

I am eager to hear what others say about this. Child care providers really are underpaid! 

#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I think that a special gift sounds like a wonderful idea! If you really want to do something special or "pay more" and can't afford  to what about a childcare swap? You said she's a mother also so are there maybe times you could take her LO or her children to give her a total break from kids? I'm thinking maybe you keep her kids one or two nights a month for free to give her a night out/off or a day out and that be part of her pay/bonus. I'm sure it'd be totally appreciated and honestly take the pressure off of the low pay by her "making" the money it would have cost her to have a day/night or two off each month.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I second the random gift card/bonuses...as a caregiver/preschool teacher happiness and knowing you are welcomed and appreciated can a lot of times tip the scales in favor of keeping a job that pays a bit lower...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page