Publishing using your maiden name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I legally took my partner's last name before we had the baby, as my partner's name is more meaningful to them and I wanted us all to have the same last name. I'm an art student and looking to start trying to make money on my art- and I have a question about names. My 'maiden' name is short, easy to pronounce, and while it has a few common spelling variations it's not hard to spell. My married name is very long, no one can pronounce it, and very difficult to remember how to spell.  So, I'd really prefer to go by my maiden name professionally just because it's easier to create a brand when people actually know how to spell your name.

I know that people who started out publishing then got married sometimes continue using their maiden name, and I also know that people publish under a pseudonym. My question is- how does that work for copyright and such? Does anyone have advice on how to do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a hyphenated last name, although not my maiden name, because it is easy to spell and more common then my last last name. Both are my legal names though so I do not worry about copyrights and trademarks. I would speak to a lawyer.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM

OP, have you published anything yet?  If so I'd stick with the name you used in previous publications, if you want all of it to be associated with you.  When I began acting semi-professionally I used my first and middle name because I liked the way it sounded and thought I might change my last name in the future.  I have been using that name in my theater work and written publications ever since so that if people want to look up my work there is no confusion.  When I got married I hyphenated my name, and I use my full name for legal stuff but not for my publications and theater credits. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

OP, have you published anything yet?  If so I'd stick with the name you used in previous publications, if you want all of it to be associated with you.  When I began acting semi-professionally I used my first and middle name because I liked the way it sounded and thought I might change my last name in the future.  I have been using that name in my theater work and written publications ever since so that if people want to look up my work there is no confusion.  When I got married I hyphenated my name, and I use my full name for legal stuff but not for my publications and theater credits. 

Thank you, I'm glad to hear from someone with experience! I was sure there would be a way to do this, given how many authors use pen names and actors go by something different than their legal name. When you file for copyright, is there anything special you hav eto do?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

I have not yet had to file a copyright.  Everything I've had published is in magazines or journals.  I've been paid with checks written to my first and middle name, and have not had any problems with that either. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

User Tag List