Working non conventional hours and childcare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Presently I'm working nearly full time and almost all at nighttime. My 2 year old is still nursing and up until now has been nursing to sleep. My MIL is watching my daughter, but she is in her 70s and needles to say it is asking a lot of her to watch a rambunctious 2 year old who is nearly impossible to put to sleep even with nursing... If I have to pay for childcare I'd rather find a Montessori preschool so she can learn some social abd life skills. Are there any options for people like me who work mostly afternoon/evenings?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#2 of 4 Old 03-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's a tough one! I feel for you. I work early (4am) and some weekends. One year, we used an au pair (live in nanny). That worked pretty well. I don't know of any night-time preschools, but maybe you could use the preschool during the day, while you sleep. Maybe your child will be more tired at night after spending an active day with other kids. Does she stay with MIL at night, or is there someone home with her while you work? I don't know about getting her to sleep without nursing. I never was successful with that until my kids were 3/4ish. The childcare centers never had any problems with it though. When my youngest first started (18months at the time), they child care workers would pat here until she fell asleep. After about a week of this, she went to sleep by herself just fine. I think seeing all the other kids sleeping encourages a lot of them to fall asleep.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#3 of 4 Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know a couple of women in this situation (both nurses) and neither was able to find anything in the day-care universe that functioned at night. One was single and so got a night-nurse, then a nanny, and the other depended on her husband mostly, then juggled offers from the grandparents, who were able to take on morning duties while she slept. Do you have a partner? If he or she is at home at night then I would just expect them to take on the nighttime parenting duties. Even if they work. Then I would get a caregiver for when I plan to sleep in the daytime. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I work PT on weekend nights so definitely some of the least desirable hours for finding childcare. I work from 5p-12/1a also so it's more of a swing shift type schedule that requires afternoon and evening/night care as I have to drop them off around 4-4:30 and get them sometime around 1am. I have a few people that I pay to keep them depending on the week. If you really do have to find other childcare try looking for a SAHM that might would do it for the extra money. If you don't know anyone personally care.com or craigslist often have local listings that you could look through. Also you said MIL so you're married? Is there anyway to rearrange work schedules so that your DH could have your dd at least during the rough patches of her day? That has worked well for my dh and myself at times over the year as well.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page