Starting daycare at 5 months - so sad :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Starting daycare at 5 months - so sad :(

I am finishing my graduate program and need to put my daughter in daycare at 5 months. I am really nervous and sad about it, and wondering if anyone else had the same experience and perhaps some words of advice. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety about it.

This is my second child, and I stayed home with my first until she was 2.5. My baby will be going to school with her, and she will be the only infant at the daycare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As the only infant, I bet she will get a lot of loving attention. I understand your sadness, but try to gentle with yourself & with your children. My son started at a nanny share at 4 months. He's now 5 & is a happy, attached little boy. It's wonderful that you are finishing your grad. program!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
A great child care provider can be like another member of the family! TAke your time to find someone wonderful. Many home providers will love your child like their own. I have totally valued my child care providers like family!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgills View Post
I am finishing my graduate program and need to put my daughter in daycare at 5 months. I am really nervous and sad about it, and wondering if anyone else had the same experience and perhaps some words of advice. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety about it.

This is my second child, and I stayed home with my first until she was 2.5. My baby will be going to school with her, and she will be the only infant at the daycare.
I know exactly how you feel as i had to put my baby girl in daycare at 2 and half months and it was the hardest thing i had to do but unfortunately with my job i didnt get paid for maternity leave so i had no choice. I found a great provider that takes good care of my baby girl and she loves to go to daycare she is now almost 4 months and every morning i talk to her tell her where shes going and its like she knows what im talking about. I popped in on her one day last week from work early and she was sitting in the swing laughing and smiling at all the kicks she loves to go and is such a good girl there. It will get easier, wish you the best of luck!!

Julie

For my families healthcare piece of mind

Last edited by pokeyac; 06-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lauren is so right! Our day care provider has become a part of our family, too. The girls were so excited to see her this week after our vacation. And in many ways, I feel our family would be a mess without her. She's so good at schedules and a lot of other things where I fall short. We really rely on her.

That said, I know how upsetting it is to take them that young for the first time. Mine started at 5 months, too. It's a challenge, but it sounds like it will be the best thing for you in the long run. It definitely was for me.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's been a while since you wrote, OP. I hope your daycare situation is way better than you thought it would be. For anyone reading now, I felt bad when in a very similar situation but in the end my little one ended up very happy and settled in quickly, even at a really young age.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am sorry to hear you are going through this amgills...Joining other mums I just have to say stay strong and do what feels right. This will be a good learning experience for your LO. Hugs!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I went back to work outside the home when my son was 16 weeks and went back when my daughter was 5 months. It was so hard with my son that i simply refused to go back that early again, like said i'd rather live in a box in the forest than go through that again. But i didn't even have to rely on daycare, we had family. When i went back this time in September (2014) with dd being 5 months i was originally planning on putting her in a daycare but i chickened out - just couldn't do it. I found a nanny instead. It's so much better for young children. Is this an option for you? I am SO SO sorry that you're going through this, truly awful.

User Tag List