• 1 Post By BatZion
  • 1 Post By Linda on the move
  • 1 Post By JudiAU

#1 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile Nanny chores; how much is OK?

Hello everyone, i am so happy I found this forum! You all seem so very nice and caring towards each other, a quality that is not always appreciated enough nowadays.

To my question: I'm 19 years old and have been working as a nanny (mostly during school holidays) or babysitten (pretty much always) since I was 14. I love children so much and taking care of them is a lot of fun to me. We do all kinds of activities, park, museum, playground, crafting, walks, running, everything really.

I went to a job interview the other day for a summer hols nanny job. Now, the task is to work from 8 am to 6 pm and take care of a 4 month old baby girl. I love the little baby girl and I'm very happy to do everything to keep her happy. The parents however expect a bit more. They said they want me to vacuum their whole place, do the dishes and just basically keep the kitchen tidy at all times (meaning washing their dishes), fold all the clothes that are lying around in the house (also parent's clothes). Also, I'd have to dust sweep all surfaces.

In addition, the parents will come home for lunch and expect me to have prepared a meal for them when they get home.
They also want me to of course take care of the baby's belongings, like preparing her milk bottles, keeping her room tidy (which I'm totally fine with).

At first it sounded ok but when i went home and thought about it, i started having doubts. As far as I know, a nanny can be asked to do "light housekeeping" meaning baby related chores. Do you think it is ok for them to ask all these things or might it be too much? Also, something the dad said worries me a bit. He said, I work a lot, and when I get home i really don't want to spend time cleaning. But it needs to be clean and tidy at all times.
I feel like I'm responsible for keeping it clean so he doesn't have to do it, but my top priority is the baby, I thought..

I usually get 15-20 CHF (I live in Switzerland and am Swiss) per hour, but this is without any extra housekeeping. Just preparing food for the kids and taking care of their room. These parents are offering to pay me 18 CHF per hour , and they think this is a fair price when all the cleaning is included. Having been paid 20 CHF before, when no additional housework was supposed to be done, 18 just doesn't seem enough for all this work.

Just as a comparison, my family has a housekeeper who comes once a week and vacuums the floor, cleans the kitchen and dust sweeps all surfaces and she gets 40 CHF per hour.

Do you think the work is too much? And should the pay he higher in that case? What chores do nannies normally do?

Thank you for any feedback.
#2 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Don't take this job. That's the only way to get across to these people, for real and all, that you will not meet their expectations, which are unreasonable. There's a full day of cleaning in there on top of a full day of childcare.

I was on for some of this, kind of, for a bit. Hey, I hate it when people use my kitchen and don't clean their dishes. A little on the go tidying during the day would make life much easier for me... but that doesn't mean that the first thing you should do when you get to your nannying job is do the breakfast dishes and get lunch started.

These people are inexperienced parents and may not realize what they're asking. You could try explaining, but there's no guarantee they'd get it. There are a ton of nannying jobs - find a different one.
#3 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would definitely not take a job like that. I think keeping the things you use clean, tidying up things you and baby use, and cleaning infant things would be reasonable but anything beyond is not. I would tell them you will do the housekeeping tasks you do beyond caring for the babies belongings for a price that is standard for housekeepers and let them know what that is if you do want the job and think they'll be reasonable.
#4 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I agree with the others. Look for another job with reasonable expectations. They want a nanny, cleaner, and cook for the price of a nanny. To keep them happy, you'd have to ignore the needs of the baby and just be a maid, which would be a misery.

(I was a SAHM for years, and my DH learned to live a mild state of choas to have children who were well cared for.)
crazyms likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I agree with everyone else don't take the job! Not at that rate with those expectations. I did babysitting for years and the only thing involved in that is supervising the children, entertaining them, cleaning up after them, cooking for them and maybe homework/study with them. The family I worked for most often for years paid me well and that was all that was expected of me. I did occasionally do the entire family's laundry or cook a meal that would feed them also if I knew they were coming home when we'd be eating. Those things weren't expected though and I did them because I had time/felt like it. They appreciated those little extras but didn't expect them. They would occasionally ask me to do extra work like light cleaning of the house, catching up their dishes or laundry, or some other chore usually if they had something planned at the house but they were good about paying extra (or tipping in a sense) anytime they asked for the extra work. I would frequently have extra children as well if they attended an event and have friends going that needed a sitter. The mother was excellent about explaining the rates to the other mothers though and being sure they paid me.

If they are new parents they may just not be aware of what they're asking or how much the rates for these duties are. Explaining it to them may clear things up but I would also be wary as some families tend to expect a lot for little pay and can overwork a nanny. If they aren't reasonable about the expectations and willing to pay an average wage for them then look for a different job.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#6 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you so much everyone! I will tell the family that I'm not happy with this arrangement. You all really were a great help!

Thanks a lot for sharing your stories and for your opinions!!
sillysapling likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
If they were offering enough to cover what you're doing (twice the rate seems reasonable, like what your friend gets- you'd be doing twice the work), it's your call if it's worth it or not. If you're happy with the "lower" pay, though, I would definitely find a family with more reasonable expectations. Keeping the house that clean with my own toddler is more trouble than it's worth, I would much rather be able to devote my energy to the child.

#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I don't think that what they want is doable. They plan to leave their clothes and dirty dishes laying around, and then come home at lunch time to everything being perfect and having lunch made. While there might be days that would be possible, there would be other days the only way to do that would be to leave the baby crying while "nanny" cleaned and cooked. They don't yet understand that caring for a baby (and eventually a toddler) takes time and attention.
sillysapling likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 10 Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
It makes me sad for the baby. There are parents who leave the baby to cry while they get things done, and "experts" who insist doing otherwise "spoils the baby". After 4 months, most parents should be well aware that taking care of a baby and doing housework don't always go together- either they somehow think a nanny is superhuman and can manage what they can't, or they don't realize it because they've been favoring housework over caring for the baby.

#10 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatZion View Post
Hello everyone, i am so happy I found this forum! You all seem so very nice and caring towards each other, a quality that is not always appreciated enough nowadays.

To my question: I'm 19 years old and have been working as a nanny (mostly during school holidays) or babysitten (pretty much always) since I was 14. I love children so much and taking care of them is a lot of fun to me. We do all kinds of activities, park, museum, playground, crafting, walks, running, everything really.

I went to a job interview the other day for a summer hols nanny job. Now, the task is to work from 8 am to 6 pm and take care of a 4 month old baby girl. I love the little baby girl and I'm very happy to do everything to keep her happy. The parents however expect a bit more. They said they want me to vacuum their whole place, do the dishes and just basically keep the kitchen tidy at all times (meaning washing their dishes), fold all the clothes that are lying around in the house (also parent's clothes). Also, I'd have to dust sweep all surfaces.

In addition, the parents will come home for lunch and expect me to have prepared a meal for them when they get home.
They also want me to of course take care of the baby's belongings, like preparing her milk bottles, keeping her room tidy (which I'm totally fine with).

At first it sounded ok but when i went home and thought about it, i started having doubts. As far as I know, a nanny can be asked to do "light housekeeping" meaning baby related chores. Do you think it is ok for them to ask all these things or might it be too much? Also, something the dad said worries me a bit. He said, I work a lot, and when I get home i really don't want to spend time cleaning. But it needs to be clean and tidy at all times.
I feel like I'm responsible for keeping it clean so he doesn't have to do it, but my top priority is the baby, I thought..

I usually get 15-20 CHF (I live in Switzerland and am Swiss) per hour, but this is without any extra housekeeping. Just preparing food for the kids and taking care of their room. These parents are offering to pay me 18 CHF per hour , and they think this is a fair price when all the cleaning is included. Having been paid 20 CHF before, when no additional housework was supposed to be done, 18 just doesn't seem enough for all this work.

Just as a comparison, my family has a housekeeper who comes once a week and vacuums the floor, cleans the kitchen and dust sweeps all surfaces and she gets 40 CHF per hour.

Do you think the work is too much? And should the pay he higher in that case? What chores do nannies normally do?

Thank you for any feedback.
Don't take the job. Their expectations are unrealistic. I have been a parent at home with one, two, and three children and I've also worked professionally with a nanny at other times. There is no way to provide quality childcare with that level of housekeeping, regardless of pay scale. They want a housekeeper and a beautiful life and childcare as a bonus.

I do know women who have similar expectations for housekeepers and childcare and I've known nannies who except the pay and responsibilities. (I live in Los Angeles.) The employees in question are always undocumented women without papers/ driver's licenses / options. In real terms, the pay is much better than they'd make at home.
sillysapling likes this.

Tags
chores , cooking , dishes , housekeeping , nanny

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page